Thread: Maine Rural FirstNet towers

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Maine Rural FirstNet towers

AT&T is building towers in extremely rural locations in Maine as part of their Firstnet commitment. Most people in these areas do not use AT&T and there generally aren't many AT&T stores here. AT&T has been traditionally weak in rural Maine and USCC and Verizon are used by almost everyone. These new towers are colocation towers and I expect that USCC and Verizon will attach but I'm not sure that AT&T will pick up too many subscribers. Is this happening in other places?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rwherman View Post
    AT&T is building towers in extremely rural locations in Maine as part of their Firstnet commitment. Most people in these areas do not use AT&T and there generally aren't many AT&T stores here. AT&T has been traditionally weak in rural Maine and USCC and Verizon are used by almost everyone. These new towers are colocation towers and I expect that USCC and Verizon will attach but I'm not sure that AT&T will pick up too many subscribers. Is this happening in other places?
    Yeah they have to add Coverage to places that didn't have att before. It's possible they could gain customers for it

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think it's great that the Firstnet project is funding towers in locations that didn't have enough potential usage revenue to justify the tower cost. This will be a huge advantage when the popular carriers attach. With that said, the Firstnet program seems to be a joke in this area. Public safety generally doesn't use AT&T and I don't see most agencies changing...

Feedback Score
    I think it's great that the Firstnet project is funding towers in locations that didn't have enough potential usage revenue to justify the tower cost. This will be a huge advantage when the popular carriers attach. With that said, the Firstnet program seems to be a joke in this area. Public safety generally doesn't use AT&T and I don't see most agencies changing...
    So do you think it would have been better if VZW got B14 instead?

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    So do you think it would have been better if VZW got B14 instead?

Not necessarily... I think Verizon and USCC have far superior coverage here even without band 14. The areas that are already AT&T Firstnet covered are poor here in comparison so even though they are adding towers, I think it's to fulfill a commitment and not to try to be the best carrier in the market...

Feedback Score

Not necessarily... I think Verizon and USCC have far superior coverage here even without band 14. The areas that are already AT&T Firstnet covered are poor here in comparison so even though they are adding towers, I think it's to fulfill a commitment and not to try to be the best carrier in the market...
    That’s what it seems like. Commitment fulfillment and hard to tell how far beyond that they will go. They could kick butt with it so who knows

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'll also add that Verizon uses Band 13 heavily here which is 700Mhz so they do well in the rural areas...

Feedback Score
    AT&T is building out rural Maine including the highway from Bangor to the Canadian border as that stretch only has Bell/TELUS/Rogers in Canada roaming on Verizon (and only worldphones like the iPhone or Google Pixel). The AT&T build-out would allow all Canadians to roam on that stretch. Remember Canada now is purely UMTS/LTE. You will see AT&T continuing to build out dead spots in their network.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    At&t also roams on USCC now as well

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Yes but isn’t the First Net commitment in that area to provide service that would result in equal Verizon coverage?
    Last edited by macher52; 07-31-2020 at 09:45 AM.