Thread: Union Wireless Added to the FirstNet Mix

Feedback Score

Union Wireless Added to the FirstNet Mix

So yesterday it was announced that Union Wireless will add FirstNet and I'm assuming other AT&T bands to their cell towers. This is in addition to the deals AT&T and FirstNet made to deploy on Viaero and Commnet assets. I really don't know what to think of this because it almost seems anti-competitive to pay a regional competitor to deploy another carriers spectrum bands, wireless assets, and backup generators/batteries on their own equipment. My guess is AT&T probably thinks these rural areas won't net them very many customers and it saves them time through the authorizing and permitting process to deploy on currently existing mobile towers. Also, I will guess that AT&T will eventually approach Nemont Wireless to deploy FirstNet in northeast Montana. That deal will probably be different as Nemont will only be asked to deploy FirstNet band 14 saving AT&T in Capex and they recently stopped offering service in northeast Montana about a year ago anyway. So I just thought I would let everyone know that AT&T is pretty serious about covering very rural areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBars View Post
    So yesterday it was announced that Union Wireless will add FirstNet and I'm assuming other AT&T bands to their cell towers. This is in addition to the deals AT&T and FirstNet made to deploy on Viaero and Commnet assets. I really don't know what to think of this because it almost seems anti-competitive to pay a regional competitor to deploy another carriers spectrum bands, wireless assets, and backup generators/batteries on their own equipment. My guess is AT&T probably thinks these rural areas won't net them very many customers and it saves them time through the authorizing and permitting process to deploy on currently existing mobile towers. Also, I will guess that AT&T will eventually approach Nemont Wireless to deploy FirstNet in northeast Montana. That deal will probably be different as Nemont will only be asked to deploy FirstNet band 14 saving AT&T in Capex and they recently stopped offering service in northeast Montana about a year ago anyway. So I just thought I would let everyone know that AT&T is pretty serious about covering very rural areas.
    Union Wireless is ****. Does AT&T have any other partners in the area? I wouldn’t count on reliable service in that area if not. I believe there are requirements in the contract about using regional partners. I’m sure it’s also more cost effective.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I really don't know what to think of this because it almost seems anti-competitive to pay a regional competitor to deploy another carriers spectrum bands, wireless assets, and backup generators/batteries on their own equipment.
    *shrug* Verizon did this with band 13. LTEiRA (LTE in Rural Areas). It apparently ranged from a few carriers that already had deployed LTE on other bands... (generally bands that VZW devices did not support back then), they said "thanks for the spectrum" and ran more LTE on band 13; to others where Verizon set up everything.

Feedback Score
    I do remember Verizon's LTE to Rural America program. But that was somewhat different. It is my understanding that Verizon allowed rural carriers to lease spectrum from Verizon, but they did not pay for rural carriers to deploy it. An article from Light Reading this morning said that AT&T is paying rural carriers to deploy band 14 and other spectrum bands on their cell towers and maintain that equipment for the next 25 years or so. Between AT&T and Verizon they both have over 150 million connections each. With so many customers it's no wonder they have no incentive to build and deploy networks in towns of 20 thousand people or less. Six years ago on my way to Yellowstone National Park on Wyoming I-80 when roaming on Union Wireless the only thing I could do was make calls and text with no data available. Though I live in an area where mega cellular corporations are the only thing available I think It's important to sign up for rural/regional carriers when there is an opportunity to do so. Verizon and AT&T are so large they are not going to care about losing a few thousand people not to mention they have no reason for customer service to get better. The three things competition is suppose to do is: (1) Promote quality (2) Keep unemployment low (3) Keep prices stable. I understand some people need nationwide coverage, but many don't and still want more than what they really need. In my opinion those who have the ability to sign up for U.S. Cellular should do so. The article from Light Reading states that AT&T is required to use rural carriers to construct the FirstNet network, but AT&T pays them to do it. The rules of FirstNet basically means that rural carriers benefit from receiving payments from AT&T while giving them little incentive to expand their own networks and AT&T does not have to actually build a network of their own so when the FirstNet contract runs out AT&T can simply have their equipment removed from rural carrier towers.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Agreed, I don't think VZW paid anyone to deploy.

I also agree I'm all in favor of vigorous competition. Some of those local and regional carriers have very nice-priced local plans, wireless home broadband priced more like DSL or cable as opposed to the typical "here's 15-50GB hotspot then throttled" cellular pricing. Some really focus on coverage, they make sure they have solid coverage in their coverage area where a national carrier would either have nothing or "here's a strip of coverage along the highway" coverage.