T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon launches new LTE At Home, Internet Service

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...ernet-service/

Name:  IMG_0177.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  33.9 KB
    The LTE Home Internet service will provide unlimited data and internet download speeds of 25 to 50 Mbps, said Verizon. The new internet service will be available in Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia and Kentucky. You can find out if LTE Home Internet is available near you at Verizon's website.

https://www.verizon.com/home/lte-home-internet

Verizon said its LTE Home Internet will cost $40 a month for Verizon wireless customers and $60 a month for non-Verizon customers. The LTE home router is also $10 each month with Verizon's device payment plan.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 07-30-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    The Internet wasnt meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so its insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead its a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text. John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    the URL to check availability is : https://www.verizon.com/home/lte-home-internet

the one you have listed is for fios . also here is the press release link
    https://www.verizon.com/about/news/v...et-rural-areas
    LTE its the network !

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Interesting that they do this on 4g instead of 5g network. I wonder what the deprioritization threshold is.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Its probably just a push to get broadband customers in rual areas.

I rhink 5G has a home.solution too just not all areas
    I can't wait for 5G home . (Since my area was skipped for fios ) .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...ernet-service/

The LTE Home Internet service will provide unlimited data and internet download speeds of 25 to 50 Mbps, said Verizon. The new internet service will be available in Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia and Kentucky. You can find out if LTE Home Internet is available near you at Verizon's website.

https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/

Verizon said its LTE Home Internet will cost $40 a month for Verizon wireless customers and $60 a month for non-Verizon customers. The LTE home router is also $10 each month with Verizon's device payment plan.
    Interesting. I did not know that Verizon has excess LTE capacity to launch hotspot service, especially with unlimited data. Their LTE is already congested in a lot of places.

I'm in Virginia. I checked availability at my address. It said NO. I should use FIOS instead. My guess is that this is going to be very limited availability only where Vz has excess capacity and you don't have FIOS available.

Does this mean that it is going to be geofenced so you can only use it at home?

Nice addition to the market though. It's a start.

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Interesting. I did not know that Verizon has excess LTE capacity to launch hotspot service, especially with unlimited data. Their LTE is already congested in a lot of places.

I'm in Virginia. I checked availability at my address. It said NO. I should use FIOS instead. My guess is that this is going to be very limited availability only where Vz has excess capacity and you don't have FIOS available.

Does this mean that it is going to be geofenced so you can only use it at home?

Nice addition to the market though. It's a start.
    I guess it depends what part of VA . I'm in VB
    Vz skipped my central office for fios so no fios

I checked my address and the new LTE home was not available. Said DSL 3.0MBps was available for $69 (with unlimited home phone, dry loop/internet only not available )

And I had DSL for 10 years 0 outages. More reliable the cable broadband I have to suffer with but too "slow" for the modern streaming era .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post
    I guess it depends what part of VA . I'm in VB
    Vz skipped my central office for fios so no fios

I checked my address and the new LTE home was not available. Said DSL 3.0MBps was available for $69 (with unlimited home phone, dry loop/internet only not available )

And I had DSL for 10 years 0 outages. More reliable the cable broadband I have to suffer with but too "slow" for the modern streaming era .
    I'm between DC and Richmond a few miles off I95. Even though I am fairly rural, there is FIOS here. I have not switched from cable to FIOS yet even though my copper phone line went dead a couple of years ago. I haven't been able to work up the enthusiasm to have the install done. My cable works pretty well for now. It was intermittent a few years ago and it took them months to fix it. The problem was not at my home.

IIRC, Verizon stopped deploying new FIOS several years ago.

I only checked the availability of the new service out of curiosity. I don't need it. I already have an unlimited AT&T LTE hotspot that is not geofenced.

There is substantial need for wireless Internet out there. We see people looking for it almost every day on HoFo and the answer has always been that there isn't anything available that you can treat like wired Internet for terabytes a month.

We are about to start the school year with about 80% of the students online only. I've been watching the school board meetings. About 20% of households in the county do not have broadband Internet. Some of that is too poor to pay for it*. Some is just nothing wired available.

The county has bought Chromebooks for all students and faculty. I heard they were buying or considering some wireless hotspots to distribute as needed. A friend is a teacher. I have seen their Chromebook. It is a POS that can't run a Google Meet reliably for more than half an hour. They are required to use it and are not allowed to use personal equipment.

Anyone care to speculate what will happen on the first day of online school when 30,000 students and teachers all hit the Internet on their home broadband - wired or wireless - for videoconferencing all at the same time? That is just my county. Across the country there will be tens of millions. Throw in a parent or two working from home and all of the colleges doing online only.

The Internet is built for average use with some peak capacity . I think we have a recipe for disaster, especially over wireless. Google Meet requires 2.5 Mbps up and down and uses about 1.5 GB per hour. That would be 264 terabytes a day just for my county. I'm lucky to get 2.5 Mbps up on my hotspot on a good day.

*They don't even feed their children and depend on the schools and charity to feed them. That is not 20%. It is more like 50%. The town just gave up trying to sort them out and provides free school lunch for all.

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    If fiber broadband was available i would switch (from cable/docsis) in a heartbeat.

And I'm sure vz is finding a way to meet the demands needed as multiple upcoming school districts across the country are preparing for virtual learning.

Here is a vz press release regarding network performance from earlier during covid

Https://www.verizon.com/about/news/h...ary-new-normal

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What are the chances that this will go Nationwide. My guess NOT

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    This is actually a new version of an older product

https://www.verizon.com/home-office-...er-with-voice/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Interesting that they do this on 4g instead of 5g network. I wonder what the deprioritization threshold is.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app
    there isn't any

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    This will in rural areas. So no if you're in the big city you won't get this but you'll get 5G fixed wireless

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    This is in rural areas. Also with CBRS and LAA that will help with capacity. Also speeds are capped at 50 Mbps max and closer to 25 Mbps

Just like fixed 5G won't launch in areas with FiOS. Also right now this is only in 3 towns

Savannah, GA; Springfield, MO and Tri Cities, TN/VA/KY

Does this mean that it is going to be geofenced so you can only use it at home?.
    Yes home use only