Thread: AT&T LTE roaming on Verizon CDMA iPhone

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

AT&T LTE roaming on Verizon CDMA iPhone

Something interesting that happened today in Northern California. I noticed that my phone said “Extended Network LTE”, which seemed odd to me since usually it’ll just say Extended LTE if I’m connected to Verizon LTE and Extended 1X.

I went to check out what I was connected to and was surprised to see Band 12! I went and placed a call to a random inactive number and it connected fine but it still played the Verizon error message.

I also ran a Speedtest which went through fine though not very impressive.

I know Verizon started allowing some CDMA-less devices to roam on AT&T 3G and LTE, but I’m using a CDMA iPhone 8+ so I don’t think my device would have the tag that would allow me to roam on AT&T. One explanation for this could be that I locked my phone to LTE only for a bit (I’m jailbroken) and there might have been only CDMA in that area, so it roamed on AT&T LTE, but it still seems strange since I thought only CDMA-less devices could utilize AT&T roaming. Could this mean that Verizon is starting to allow AT&T LTE roaming for all devices in some areas?

Another thing to note is that a few minutes later it switched back to Verizon LTE, and trying to manually switch the network to “Extended Network” (AT&T) in settings did not work.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    US Cellular also uses band 12, you may have been on USCC. The low speed is (most likely...) due to most newer plans throttling domestic roaming data to 128kbps. It's a little ironic, I've been in a few spots in SW Wisconsin where I now have (US Cellular) LTE roaming instead of 1x roaming, but due to the current roaming policy this gave me a whole increase from ~80-100kbps up to 128kbps . The VoLTE calls sure are nice and clear though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    US Cellular also uses band 12, you may have been on USCC. The low speed is (most likely...) due to most newer plans throttling domestic roaming data to 128kbps. It's a little ironic, I've been in a few spots in SW Wisconsin where I now have (US Cellular) LTE roaming instead of 1x roaming, but due to the current roaming policy this gave me a whole increase from ~80-100kbps up to 128kbps . The VoLTE calls sure are nice and clear though.
    That actually makes a lot of sense, it would explain why Network Selection shows two Extended Network options. I didn’t even know we got USCC LTE roaming, so that’s pretty cool. It’s a shame it’s so slow though. It’s funny, USCC 3G roaming seems to be faster than LTE roaming, cause there’s a spot near Portland that I get about 2mbps down on USCC 3G.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    AT&T’s 10x10 MHz B12 EARFCN is 5110, which leads me to believe that this is USCC roaming at 5070.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Chicago, IL‎ ----------------------------------------------------‎ ‎Duluth, MN
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL) ---------------- 4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    It’s funny, USCC 3G roaming seems to be faster than LTE roaming
    It might be; in my area (eastern Iowa) USCC said to expect "up to" 31mbps, and typical speeds of 3-6mbps on LTE; they simply arent' running particularly wide LTE channels. EVDO tops out at 3.1mbps, I could easily see the LTE loading up to the point the (relatively empty) 3G gets higher speeds.