Thread: SpaceMobile deal could kill all of ATT's dead zones

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

SpaceMobile deal could kill all of ATT's dead zones

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Nice read. Thanks. Do you frequent any other tech sites that I may not be aware of as I was with this site? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I can see the signal getting from space to the phones but I can't see a phone being powerful enough to send the signal to space even low earth orbit. Now stuff like On Star in cars or fixed wireless with an outdoor antenna sure I can see how this can work. And maybe that's where this will ultimately be used for. Or instead of full fledged towers at&t can just put up a repeater in certain areas.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I can contact a satellite with my handheld UHF ham radio. I’m not sure I want that next to my brain though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigers2007 View Post
    Interesting. I can contact a satellite with my handheld UHF ham radio. I’m not sure I want that next to my brain though.
    Which frequencies does it use and I'm sure it has an external antenna

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    I can see the signal getting from space to the phones but I can't see a phone being powerful enough to send the signal to space even low earth orbit. Now stuff like On Star in cars or fixed wireless with an outdoor antenna sure I can see how this can work. And maybe that's where this will ultimately be used for. Or instead of full fledged towers at&t can just put up a repeater in certain areas.
    I agree. I can remember a time I was on top of a mountain (Pikes Peak? Maybe Mount Evans). My phone could see a tower, but not make a call. Line of sight was there, but not power. Now we are expecting a satellite 300 miles up, with many many phones in its area, to pick up a clean signal? Wouldn't it have to be in a different frequency range anyway to not interfere with cell towers? Such as Band 17, etc. And if it is a new band, then won't work with existing phones. And the info I read claims it will work inside buildings.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Yes even with full bars I couldn't make a call when on top of a mountain with line of sight to the tower

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I agree. I can remember a time I was on top of a mountain (Pikes Peak? Maybe Mount Evans). My phone could see a tower, but not make a call. Line of sight was there, but not power. Now we are expecting a satellite 300 miles up, with many many phones in its area, to pick up a clean signal? Wouldn't it have to be in a different frequency range anyway to not interfere with cell towers? Such as Band 17, etc. And if it is a new band, then won't work with existing phones. And the info I read claims it will work inside buildings.
    According to what I read it's going to work with bands 2, 4( could be 66, not sure ) and 30. That inside building stuff means therr has to be some sort or repeater system with an outside antenna of some sort. And if it's not pricey nothing wrong with that if you live in bad signal area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    According to what I read it's going to work with bands 2, 4( could be 66, not sure ) and 30. That inside building stuff means therr has to be some sort or repeater system with an outside antenna of some sort. And if it's not pricey nothing wrong with that if you live in bad signal area.
    There was some blurb that indicated to me that it may require an optional package. If so, that could be a way to reduce the hit on the satellites and pay for the costs. Still very premature, not enough info out there in my mind for us to to know.