Thread: Cheap phone to use on simple mobile T-Mobile

Feedback Score

Cheap phone to use on simple mobile T-Mobile

I have a family member wanting to try simple mobile. Looking for a cheap phone. Not sure how good T-Mobile is in our area. Can anyone recommend an unlocked gsma phone? Link please. Looking to spend $20-$50 if possible. To check coverage, and try a month. Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Are you talking about Simple Mobile (a TracFone brand?)

At the price you want to pay, you might be able to just buy a Simple Mobile phone, they might have a very cheap refurb at the website just to try the service to see if T-Mo works where you are. If it doesn't pull signal you could possibly return the phone, but there are cheaper ways to test a signal.

If they qualify for a lifeline phone, there are some lifeline service providers that use T-Mo. Possibly TruConnect. The free phone will be low end but it would show how good service is if a coverage map won't suffice.

I've seen unlocked BLU phones occasionally at Best Buy etc for $50 or under but have never had one and suspect for the price they may not be real great, and the specs may be unable to operate on the bands T-Mo needs, may even be 3g not 4g LTE, have to look up the specs online because people are still selling old equipment that's outdated.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Here's a link to Simple Mobile LG Premier Pro for 9.99, plan purchase required. Might be free shipping. A 25% off Welcome discount popped on the screen when i clicked through from the Google search. If it doesn't appear, scroll to page bottom and there should be a signup for email that says 25% off. I don't know if it's eligible on this phone.

https://shop.simplemobile.com/shop/e...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Here's a FREE LG reconditioned PREMIER PRO (plan purchase required)

https://shop.simplemobile.com/shop/e...-reconditioned

Or if they like flips, an Alcatel MyFlip (I have one on TracFone) reconditioned, free, plan purchase required...

https://shop.simplemobile.com/shop/e...-reconditioned

Where I am, in my zip when i entered my zip in the Simple Mobile search engine it said they couldn't offer service here.

If you enter the zip where the phone would be used most, it should say they can't offer service there if the phones are on T-Mobile and it is weak around there.

No guarantee of service even if they don't say so, because they said they don't serve my zip. I tried T-Mo here and it didn't work in the hills, but it works fine in town.

I was able to buy a Straight Talk phone (TracFone really, branded to Straight Talk) by saying it was to be a gift for a friend in a zip nearby where the search engine showed it would work. The chat rep helped with the order. It was an LG Fiesta.

I also have an LG Fiesta 2 and a Moto e5 Simple Mobile branded that I got at Best Buy. Not in stock now, but they might have other SM phones. I got them thinking I'd rebrand them to TracFone for activation but was told I couldn't. Others have done it.

Walmart of course sells Simple Mobile.

Chances are if T-Mo coverage says no go in the T-Mo coverage map engine, it's a sketchy choice.

If you really want or need an unlocked phone at the price you suggested, I wish you luck finding a decent one.