Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T 5G experience

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Primary), AT&T (Secondary)
    Feedback Score

AT&T 5G experience

I'm not really impressed with AT&T's 5G sub 6ghz network in Metro Atlanta. I bought the Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G smartphone. Ive done a couple speediest and I'm getting the same results I got on LTE on my iphone XR 30-40mbps. Thinking about returning the Galaxy phone.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Timmy G

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timvideo View Post
    I'm not really impressed with AT&T's 5G sub 6ghz network in Metro Atlanta. I bought the Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G smartphone. Ive done a couple speediest and I'm getting the same results I got on LTE on my iphone XR 30-40mbps. Thinking about returning the Galaxy phone.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Sub6 is basically LTE speeds on any carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smokieunc View Post
    Sub6 is basically LTE speeds on any carrier.

Which shows what a marginal improvement sub 6 will be in rural areas.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOSteel94 View Post
    Which shows what a marginal improvement sub 6 will be in rural areas.

Until I’m assuming new tech like maybe DSS improves it or maybe until mid band is deployed. Who knows.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smokieunc View Post
    Until I’m assuming new tech like maybe DSS improves it or maybe until mid band is deployed. Who knows.

Yeah. I mean the AT&T tower a couple houses down only has band 12. However there's a small town about 3 miles south of here and the tower there has band 2 among others. I average about 15 megabits at the house but I believe I hit 70 or above down there.

The way I understand it is low band 5G as it stands will be a small bump up in speed. Let's say a 6 megabit increase in speed. Not really enough to be noticeable for the average user.

At my neighbor's house I hit 50 megs on the same tower. B12 is capable of impressive speeds but you have to be in line of sight.

Feedback Score
    Sub 6 is the same as lte on any carrier not just At&t....
    Go check the t-mobile forums u gonna go see people complaining about the same thing that they bought 5G phones thinking they were gonna get faster speeds but they getting the same speeds on tmobile sub6 5G that they are getting on lte.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Well, it's not the same as LTE, 5G should give around a 30% improvement; but that's comparing 4G and 5G with the same amount of spectrum. Right now carriers have a tiny sliver of 5G up* so they can show wide 5G deployment on a map.

*Other than mmwave. MMwave band, running 150, 300, 500mhz, or more, is totally normal; the huge speeds are from mostly tons of spectrum, and partially from massive MIMO type of stuff that won't work at lower bands but do at mmwave.

Feedback Score
    5G is about 10-15% more spectrally efficient than 4G. There's no massive MIMO with FR2 (mmWave), and channel bandwidths are 50, 100, 200, or 400 MHz.

n78 and n77 will provide noticeable speed improvements for FR1 (i.e. sub-6) after the auction.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Makes me wonder if the technology will ever advance to give rural areas significant speed improvements. Doesn't sound possible.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    We need to wait until SA-NR is activated. It supports many more connections than LTE does. VoNR will help capacity.
    Many people don't realize that 5G NSA-NR right now is just a secondary aggregated channel. No real benefits yet unless you're on mmWave. This is all just for marketing. What good is a coverage layer of n5 or n71, when you have to connect to lte 2 or 66/4 - nothing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Primary), AT&T (Secondary)
    Feedback Score
    I decided to return the Samsung Galaxy S20 for now and wait for the iPhone 12 release. I had AT&T activate service as an esim so I could have AT&T & Visible Wireless on the same phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timvideo View Post
    I decided to return the Samsung Galaxy S20 for now and wait for the iPhone 12 release. I had AT&T activate service as an esim so I could have AT&T & Visible Wireless on the same phone.
    I’ll be testing out my brand new Note 20 Ultra starting tomorrow on their 5g+ here. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    We need to wait until SA-NR is activated. It supports many more connections than LTE does. VoNR will help capacity.
    Many people don't realize that 5G NSA-NR right now is just a secondary aggregated channel. No real benefits yet unless you're on mmWave. This is all just for marketing. What good is a coverage layer of n5 or n71, when you have to connect to lte 2 or 66/4 - nothing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    We need for AT&T to also get a lot more mid band in a future auction

Feedback Score

AT&T 5G experience

Does anyone know how a 5g phone should display 5g+ on the phone? Is it as ‘5g+’ or just ‘5g’. I ask that because when I had the s20 ultra it showed it as the latter but couldn’t connect to 5g. Idk. I have the note 20 ultra now. I’m going to test out the 5g+ here with this phone.

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Be careful with ATT 5G, especially if its 5Ge (5G Evolution, which may also be 5G+) its not actually 5G, but it is LTE Advanced.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast