Thread: Understanding Root Metrics and JD Power

Feedback Score

Understanding Root Metrics and JD Power

I am very perplexed by the ratings of cellular carriers presented by Root Metrics and JD Power. Year after year after year, Verizon always comes out on top! With all of the improvements that AT&T has implemented as a result of deploying FirstNet and the massive build-out by T-Mobile, how can Verizon always come out on top? It really doesn't make any sense to me. In addition I keep reading threads on this site about how limited Verizon spectrum really is and that both AT&T and T-Mobile own a lot more spectrum that Verizon which to me should indicate that Verizon should't always come out on top. Also I understand that Verizon cell towers are widely spaced because the wide spacing worked fine for the old CDMA 3G protocol, but now this wide spacing is a hindrance for LTE.

With all of these issues working against Verizon, how do they always come out as the winner?

I also wonder if Verizon pays Root Metrics and JD Power for the ratings that they receive and if Verizon somehow owns an interest in these companies. Thanks for taking that time to provide your thoughts.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has invested heavily on small cells and macro densification. They are probably the densest carrier on average nationally now. They also spend a lot more time over engineering their network to make sure that everything works seamlessly. The idea that Verizon has less sites due to CDMA has been false for at least 2 years now. In 2015, Verizon had far less sites than AT&T and T-Mobile in my area, but since then, has surpassed T-Mobile in macros and has more sites than AT&T if you include small cells.

You are correct about the spectrum crunch. They’ve overcome this (for the most part) by adding small cells and new sites, which is definitely a long term move... makes it so that once they acquire more midband spectrum like CBRS and C-band that those will have less distance between sites and a broader coverage footprint. Hope this helps explain some of the questions you had.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Chicago, IL‎ ----------------------------------------------------‎ ‎Duluth, MN
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL) ---------------- 4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I am very perplexed by the ratings of cellular carriers presented by Root Metrics and JD Power. Year after year after year, Verizon always comes out on top! With all of the improvements that AT&T has implemented as a result of deploying FirstNet and the massive build-out by T-Mobile, how can Verizon always come out on top? It really doesn't make any sense to me. In addition I keep reading threads on this site about how limited Verizon spectrum really is and that both AT&T and T-Mobile own a lot more spectrum that Verizon which to me should indicate that Verizon should't always come out on top. Also I understand that Verizon cell towers are widely spaced because the wide spacing worked fine for the old CDMA 3G protocol, but now this wide spacing is a hindrance for LTE.

With all of these issues working against Verizon, how do they always come out as the winner?

I also wonder if Verizon pays Root Metrics and JD Power for the ratings that they receive and if Verizon somehow owns an interest in these companies. Thanks for taking that time to provide your thoughts.
    JD Power works by companies commissioning surveys and paying for them. The company designs the survey to produce the results they want. You are right to be suspicious of JD Power surveys. That said, Verizon still needs to be a pretty good network to produce survey results that don't look completely ridiculous.

We see JD Power "Awards" frequently for Fords and Chevys. I have owned Fords and Chevys. They were garbage. JD Power "Awards" mean less than nothing to me. When I see a JD Power "Award" I assume that the "Awarded" company is trying to put lipstick on a pig to make the pig look pretty.

To understand Rootmetrics scores you need to understand what Rootmetrics says they mean. Rootmetric scores on a 0-100 scale. They are supposed to be interpreted like a school grade - 90-100 = A, etc. They can't test every square foot of the country. If all three score in the 90s, they are all grade A networks and no differentiation is implied by a few points difference. Saying that a one carrier is better than another because they scored a few points higher is an incorrect interpretation of the score.

When I looked at their metro area survey a while back, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T all scored in the 90s in most locations. Sprint frequently scored in the 80s, but who cares about them now. The metro area surveys tell you absolutely nothing about what to expect between metro areas. My experience has been that T-Mo turns to garbage pretty quickly outside of town. T-Mo is working on improving their coverage and has come a long way. Their coverage map used to look worse than Sprint's.

Verizon comes out well because they actually have a pretty good network and T-Mo is still weak. AT&T hasn't done enough with Firstnet yet to catch up to Vz*. Vz does have a weakness in not having any new spectrum to deploy for a while. T-Mo and AT&T can be expected to catch up some. Vz is coping with their spectrum deficit by deploying small cells and rolling a lot of fiber for backhaul.

I can say for certain that Verizon is the only carrier the works well inside my house. They get my award and my money. That does not mean the another carrier would not be better in a different location.

*On average. All three have some areas where they are better than the others.