Thread: Live Streaming Cell Plans

Feedback Score

Live Streaming Cell Plans

Currently I'm working on a project that involves live streaming while outdoors. Normally my personal need for cell data is modest, but live streaming chews all that data up pretty quickly. I've started to experiment with other higher data offerings. My first one, and the one I'm currently on, is Boom Mobile 20GB. So far it has worked well, however the amount of data will likely not be enough.

Any input would be appreciated on Verizon Prepaid or MVNOs that offer:
    1) Data greater than 20GB.
    2) Can use all the data for hotspot.
    3) Doesn't cap the data speeds for download nor upload.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think prepaid service will provide everything you want it to do. I think postpaid would be your best bet. You will need to wait for specific plan information/suggestions. It sounds like your required features are more than you will find with prepaid service. Best wishes.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    You might want to consider Visible.

Visible has $40 unlimited 5 mbps hotspot but only one connection at a time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I don't think prepaid service will provide everything you want it to do. I think postpaid would be your best bet. You will need to wait for specific plan information/suggestions. It sounds like your required features are more than you will find with prepaid service. Best wishes.
    Fair enough and thanks for the reply. Perhaps I can be more flexible on the item requesting that the speeds not be capped. Do Verizon MVNOs all get capped at 5Mbps or do some get better than that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    You might want to consider Visible.

Visible has $40 unlimited 5 mbps hotspot but only one connection at a time.
    I believe the project involves live streaming out from a site. That means that the upload speed becomes more important than download.

I have Visible. Their data speed is extremely variable from one moment to the next and the upload speed is frequently atrocious even when the download speed is ok.

Visible is $25 a month if you keep your line in a party of four. 5 Mbps hotspot download speed is what they advertise. I have never seen them cap it on mine. I get faster when faster is working.

One hotspot connection is easy go get around with an external router or Windows 10 notebook. Some iPhones and a few Androids are not limited to on hotspot connection. It is only one on the Moto E6 and Moto G7 Power. I have those.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    https://prepaidcompare.net/

This is the best site to look for what you want and need. Just tell it the amount of data you need, check off hotspot you'll see who has that available and for what price. As others have said there is evidence that Visible need not apply. You'll need to check the mvno site to verify things and its likely that 'hotspot' doesn't mean its all available either but this tremendous tool will at least point you in the right direction.

Feedback Score
    Thanks all for the tips and for the reminder about prepaidcompare.net

It's possible the amount of data I was using is less than originally thought - the amount my phone reported vs what's on the Boom account manage page is rather different. Boom's account manage page shows a more reasonable number - I'll check with Boom tomorrow to make sure it's accurate.

If my data usage is lower after all, I'm feelin' pretty good about sticking with Boom, especially as they don't put speed caps on their plans, and that I can use all the plan data as hotspot. Later I'll also try their T-Mobile plans for the same reasons. Deprioritization is always a concern but I'm good to stick with the MVNO route for now.

Cheers to Charles for answering all my questions!