Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shipping vs. home address

Feedback Score

Shipping vs. home address

Strange question, but do you think there is any detriment to changing my Tmo account address to another location in a different state? The problem is they will only ship things to the "street address" listed on the account. In my case that is a problem because my street address is not recognized by the postal service, so returns an "invalid address" if I try to use it. UPS and Fedex can't find me anyway you cut it. I use a PO Box for my mail, which works fine, but Tmo and many other phone suppliers will not ship there. However, I know someone with a reliable real address in another state I could use as my "home" address, though obviously I am not there all that much. Thoughts?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    If you aren't on a plan that includes taxes and fees, those could change with an address update. An updated address might also get assigned as a new address in credit bureau databases, which if changed too often will affect credit eligibility.

Other than that, I don't believe that it will affect your T-Mobile account.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Let's be clear. There is a mailing address where your bills are sent and there is a primary place of use where you live/use your phone and your taxes are based on. If you decide to change your primary place of use address the phone company expects that is where you primarily will use your phone.

For instance you can live in New York, but you cannot declare Utah is you PPU (Primary Place of Use) unless you plan to use the phone in that specific market. Doing so would be considered fraud as your taxes would not be calculated properly and Uncle Sam (federal, state, local) expects his cut of the action based on your actual location of usage. The phone company can easily determine where you are using your phone based on the towers that you connect to and if determined that the PPU is entered incorrect can change the information on your account.

I am not suggesting that you cannot use your phone outside you local area or doing so is "against the rules". Just making the distinction. Just saying......
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    If you decide to change your primary place of use address the phone company expects that is where you primarily will use your phone.
    I know it sounds crazy, but TMo just will not accept my actual street address as a legitimate street address. It comes back as "invalid" in the USPS system, even though it is on the tax rolls, town tax maps, etc. I've gone round and round with TMo about it, and they can't override the system. If it shows up as invalid, it won't work. USPS won't change it either. Google maps doesn't recognize it either. Strangely, when I first signed up for service TMo accepted my PO Box as the address and it has been that way for years without them complaining, but they won't ship to a PO Box. I just checked with the Google Store and they won't ship to a PO Box either. I even called the local folks in charge of 911 and they agreed that there were some addresses in town that just do not match up with the USPS system and there was nothing they could do about it. They claim they will find me by the GPS coordinates if I ever call 911.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are you certain that T-mobile services your local market ?? No carrier has coverage in every location in every City or State nationwide.

Feedback Score
    Are you certain that T-mobile services your local market ??
    Yes! I'm on TMobile here since December 2018 when I first signed up using my PO Box address, which they accepted when I signed up. Service has not been the issue, just that if I wanted to say order a phone or a new SIM card or something they will only ship to a street address. If I enter my street address in their system it doesn't work, comes back as invalid address. Luckily, they have just left the PO Box as the official account address and I have no problem with that. Some other sellers, like the Google Store, will only ship phones to my residential street address too. Unfortunately, neither UPS, USPS, or Fedex will ship anything to my street address as their systems declare it as "invalid."Another oddity, is that my driver's license shows my street address and the RMV here in Massachusetts accepts it as valid, but they also have my mailing address where they send everything.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    I know it sounds crazy, but TMo just will not accept my actual street address as a legitimate street address. It comes back as "invalid" in the USPS system, even though it is on the tax rolls, town tax maps, etc. I've gone round and round with TMo about it, and they can't override the system. If it shows up as invalid, it won't work. USPS won't change it either. Google maps doesn't recognize it either. Strangely, when I first signed up for service TMo accepted my PO Box as the address and it has been that way for years without them complaining, but they won't ship to a PO Box. I just checked with the Google Store and they won't ship to a PO Box either. I even called the local folks in charge of 911 and they agreed that there were some addresses in town that just do not match up with the USPS system and there was nothing they could do about it.
    Yes, that does happen especially in rural areas. My grandparents had to put a mailbox on the nearby road just to have USPS verify to send mail directly. This may not work with other parcel carriers.

Google Store might allow you to send to a different person's address, using a C/O (care of) designation. I know Amazon does, I did this with my sister's apartment around this time last year. It will vary by retailer what policies they have.

Since USPS, and a few other parcel carriers, is currently self-signing deliveries (COVID-related policy changes), it isn't smart to send something to a location you can't be physically there when delivered.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    USPS doesn't do deliveries where I live, so I have to trek into the Post Office for ordinary mail. No possibility of a box on a pole. UPS and Fedex would deliver if the USPS just recognized my street address as valid. I would be just as happy if they would ship it to my work address, but they won't do that for phones apparently. Other stuff from Amazon and whatnot I routinely have shipped to work.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What a sad situation. You have made a great effort. Most of us use our addresses--as you say--for all kinds of things with no trouble. Could you contact a congressman's office? (Or congresslady?) That is a normal way to get help with a tough problem.

Device(s)
    BLU V5, iPhone 6, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone (ATT), Mint Mobile (TMo), T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That’s really odd. All rural areas are supposed to have a physical address for 911/emergency use. You would think FedEx/UPS could use that address regardless of USPS’ policies, since it would come up on GPS.

When I send mail to my relatives, I’ve gotten into the habit of listing both the physical address and the PO Box (in the 2nd address line) for everything. Since adding the 911 address, I don’t think I’ve had a problem getting anything delivered to them (compared to 15 years ago).

Have you tried that?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

iPhone 6 on Mint Mobile (primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone (backup)
    iPad 4 on T-Mobile free data

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I had that problem before. They want a physical address, not a po box.
    If you get a po box from the united states post office (USPS) they now offer street addressing.. this is something new, not all POs have this service yet but its rolling out fast. Check with your USPO..

Or try it yourself, send your self a letter from a different location to the address or the post office.
    If you are po box #69 ... then try their address such 100 main st #69, city, ST 00000 ... one quick note, use their servicing zip code, not their po box zip codes. All po box by usps have a different zip code.

Feedback Score
    All rural areas are supposed to have a physical address for 911/emergency use. You would think FedEx/UPS could use that address regardless of USPS’ policies, since it would come up on GPS.
    I agree, but the local people in charge of the 911 system don't! I gave them my street address, it came up as invalid, and they told me not to worry about it since they use the GPS coordinates of my cell phone anyway. They said if I have a problem with the USPS system I should take it up with them. I haven't yet tried to get things changed at the local post office, which is apparently the only way to do it. Our local PO can't even deliver the mail reliably, so I'm not optimistic, but maybe that is the next step.
    the united states post office (USPS) they now offer street addressing..
    Yes, I have that too, but that address doesn't show up as a residential address in the USPS system so it too won't work for ordering a phone from either T Mobile or Google Store. Our local PO is so dysfunctional it routinely loses, destroys, or misdelivers packages. The last one I ordered was finally given to me 10 days after the USPS Informed Delivery app told me it had arrived. Other boxes arrive torn open with missing items. It just isn't a good way to receive valuable things. Stuff that I can have sent to my office via UPS and Fedex comes through reliably--too bad I can't have a phone sent there too!

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking the only way to get a new phone will be to go into a store and purchase one, which is too bad since many of the best deals are online only. Also, in my experience dealing with phone stores it is really hit or miss the quality of service you get, and they have a huge incentive to upsell you so you have to endure a pitch for products and services you don't want. Maybe the best option will be ordering online with a place like BestBuy that allows me to pick it up in a local store. There are no stores anywhere near me though, so I have to plan this out for a time when I will be traveling anyway.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ten Four, sorry if i misunderstood your initial question. I do understand clearly now what the problem was to begin with. I thought you were just trying to have an alternative address to pay less taxes.

Device(s)
    BLU V5, iPhone 6, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone (ATT), Mint Mobile (TMo), T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ugh Ten Four, that’s bad in all sorts of ways. I’m sorry my idea won’t work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast