Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Extended Network

Feedback Score

Extended Network

I'm on Selectel and I pay $5 extra for Canada/Mexico roaming. I get extended network to make phone calls in rurals areas. Would I get that anyway or is it because I pay $5/mo. extra that I get extended network?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    I'm on Selectel and I pay $5 extra for Canada/Mexico roaming. I get extended network to make phone calls in rurals areas. Would I get that anyway or is it because I pay $5/mo. extra that I get extended network?
    I know we've discussed this before, but that extra $5/mo does NOT include ROAMING in Canada/Mexico. It includes calls TO Canada/Mexico FROM the US.

The extended roaming on partner networks while in the US is also included in that extra $5/mo.

I suspect that when Vzw discontinues CDMA service, the extended network roaming in the US as part of your Selectel service will also end. I don't KNOW that this will be the case, but you should definitely try to get an accurate answer from Selectel, and it may require talking to management vs a front line CSR to actually get an accurate answer.

Feedback Score
    Boz1, I do remember talking about this before but I forgot the exact answer. So in order to get extended network to make calls and send/receive texts in rural areas like I do now, I should keep paying the $5 extra? is what I was trying to determine. Otherwise I wouldn't get extended network. Is that correct? Sorry if I'm going in circles here.

I have thought about Vzw discontinuing CDMA service and extended network roaming going away. I will check on that.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, that's correct.

Here's my post from 2018 about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    However, http://www.selectelwireless.com/product/35enhanced/ says domestic voice roaming is still included, so I don't know what's going on with Selectel. Apparently, Selectel CSRs don't, either!

$35.00
    Add to cart
    Description 
    Unlimited Domestic Voice Minutes
    Unlimited SMS & MMS Messages
    Unlimited Data First 1GB up to 4G LTE then 2G
    Unlimited Domestic Voice Roaming
    Unlimited Direct Dial Calls to Mexico & Canada Landlines & Mobile Numbers
    Caller ID
    Call Waiting
    Voice Mail
    Call Forwarding
    30 Day Plan
    No Annual Contract

Feedback Score
    I don't go to Mexico or Canada but it makes sense I could call there if I wanted to. I only paid extra because I wanted domestic roaming and it seemed that was the way to get it.

Feedback Score
    Domestic roaming isn't what I thought it to be. I learned today it's only attainable through a $10 flex card purchase and then you use it up @ 25˘ a minute to call using a partner carrier. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with being in an extended network area. I feel so misled and confused.

NOTE: At one time, I used to double-dial to make a call in an Extended Network area. At what point it changed, I do not know.

Last edited by mizwiz; 08-03-2022 at 07:52 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the post, mizwiz.

Just to clarify, are you saying that the Selectel plan that you're using, that costs an extra $5/mo, USED to include domestic (US) roaming for no extra cost, but you found out yesterday that this has now CHANGED, and domestic roaming is no longer included in your higher cost Selectel plan?

How exactly did you find that out?

If it was from a CSR, did you contact a different CSR (if possible) to verify that the first CSR was correct?

Also, in your conversations with Selectel, have you verified that the domestic roaming will continue to be available, even after Vzw fully shuts down 3G CDMA on 12/31/22?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I found out during a trial I did on US Mobile with their Black Verizon SIM. I get a fast busy signal on both Selectel and US Mobile. Both claim to have domestic roaming. Selectel says they do with a $10 flex card that gives you 25˘/min. calls. US Mobile says it's included in their plans but it is not.

I used to double dial and call in extended network. Not anymore.

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 6a/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    This whole issue appears to be related to the status of Inland Cellular, which mizwiz now cannot roam on. Inland Cellular was never a Verizon LTEiRA partner (which is why US Mobile doesn't roam on them), and now whatever roaming agreement Inland Cellular had with Verizon, has changed. There may no longer be any cheap way to roam on Inland Cellular (only Verizon Postpay).

Mizwiz - Have you looked into an AT&T MVNO recently (ask friends/neighbors about AT&T coverage). I know coverage maps may not be very accurate, but I have looked at both those of Inland Cellular and AT&T, and they seem very similar. Perhaps you could get a cheap AT&T Prepaid phone (Walmart?) and a cheap AT&T MVNO, to test it out.

Feedback Score
    I haven't looked at AT&T. I'll ask others in my area about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    This whole issue appears to be related to the status of Inland Cellular, which mizwiz now cannot roam on. Inland Cellular was never a Verizon LTEiRA partner (which is why US Mobile doesn't roam on them), and now whatever roaming agreement Inland Cellular had with Verizon, has changed. There may no longer be any cheap way to roam on Inland Cellular (only Verizon Postpay)
    This situation only happened for a couple of days. I had been in 4G LTE in n Kooskia, ID for ages. Then all of a sudden it went to extended network which it used to be in years past. That's when I tried to call my grandson and got the recording that I couldn't call. Then as mysteriously as it appeared, it disappeared and I had 4G LTE back and could call just fine. Go figure!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Perhaps you could get a cheap AT&T Prepaid phone (Walmart?) and a cheap AT&T MVNO, to test it out.
    I have a locked 4g TracFone that's Verizon enabled. Can I change it to AT&T SIM? Need to check if it can be unlocked.

NOTE: I didn't renew and it was not active as of a day or two ago. I reactivated it. So does the 60 days start from today? I should have done this a few days ago. This is my husband's backup cell when he's out on fires. In Alaska, he could have benefited if it had been on AT&T.

His primary cell (Moto G Pure) is GSM on Selectel but he doesn't get extended network. Just found that out about the GSM for his model. I didn't check this out well enough before I upgraded him.

Last edited by mizwiz; 08-12-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    When purchased? If before the specified date (I think last November, it was 1 year). If purchased since then for the V network, then 60 days started then.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    I called agent and it's a year. She said I have 4 months to go. I could pay $54 + tax today to unlock it.

I'm thinking I need to unlock it before I can change from a Verizon SIM to T-Mobile or AT&T. Correct? I usually buy unlocked phones so I'm not sure how locked phones work when unlocking.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    I think that, if it is a DL model, it is supposed to work on Tracfone on any of their networks.

But that doesn't mean that the phone will work on the ATT network, for instance, if not through Tracfone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast