Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: 4G flip phone users

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,632
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliaRose View Post

    I contacted Alcatel. I know you didn't have the Verizon version, but it seems like there's no way for custom alert tones for reminders, alarm clock, or texts for different individuals (different songs for different people), but that it is available for people in your contacts as a ringtone?
    The Verizon user guide mentions settings for ringtones and notifications, but no detail about how much you can do. Did you tell Alcatel you were asking about the Verizon Go Flip V model? That is a customized phone, so they may not know how it differs from the other models.

    I don't have any of these, so can't go any further in advice. Would be nice to look at one in a store, but few are fully open for business these days.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The Verizon user guide mentions settings for ringtones and notifications, but no detail about how much you can do. Did you tell Alcatel you were asking about the Verizon Go Flip V model? That is a customized phone, so they may not know how it differs from the other models.

    I don't have any of these, so can't go any further in advice. Would be nice to look at one in a store, but few are fully open for business these days.
    Yes, but it was a non-US agent, so I'm not sure how familiar they are with that specific one.

    I did call a few stores, but their knowledge is limited, because apparently the authorized retailers only sell one or two of them; I think the Orbic is only sold by corporate stores. And getting a number to a corporate store these days is impossible, since the phones appear to all re-route to Customer Service. Unfortunately, there's only one corporate store in driving distance (sort of), and the last time I looked, it was closed. I'm not sure why, unless they still haven't fully reopened all of the corporate stores yet. The authorized retailers appear to be open.

    I may need to look into that LG Exalt LTE version, too. And see if any customization is possible with that ugly outer screen. Or if I may have to suffer with it, if it has the custom alert tone options I was looking for.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I've used the Exalt LTE. Don't think the outer screen is customizable at all. Browser appeared to be the Android "Browser" (modified so the arrow keys move a cursor around on the screen), i.e. not Chrome, the one it shipped with up through Android 3 or 4 or so. You can switch it between T9 and ABC. It is a stripped down "Message+" as far as I can tell. Per Google, you can apparently throw music onto the SDCard and use it as ring tones. If you have a plan with data, deep deep down in the settings (so someone doesn't find it by accident and get confused I think...) it does have a hotspot; it's category 4 LTE so almost any other phone will have a faster hotspot, but my dad used it to watch some baseball games and it worked fine.
    Can you use custom tones/mp3's for alarms, reminders, and different text alert tones for different contacts?

    Did you find any cons to the LTE version?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just read somewhere that the Go Flip V only has an option for "Mobile" in the contacts, and not a work/home label. Does anyone know if this is true?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliaRose View Post
    Can you use custom tones/mp3's for alarms, reminders, and different text alert tones for different contacts?

    Did you find any cons to the LTE version?
    I have an LG Exalt LTE, service with Verizon. I have never tried to put any ringtones or sounds on it.

    It is possible to set different ringtones and message tone alert sounds for different contacts.

    I find the choices limited and many of them are not pleasant to listen to, to my ear.

    This flip phone was the best one I could find at the time I bought it.

    It does not have several features on it that previous flip phones had, and the LG Exalt LTE was very expensive.

    The one I have is not good at keeping a call when there is weak signal. Using it on WiFi calling was worse, because while the phone switches from Verizon to WiFi, the other person is talking, and there is no sound through the phone until the switch is complete.

    It does not have 3g, only 4G and LTE. If I have it right, that means calls with someone using a 3G phone can be spotty.

    I was thinking of getting the LG 125DL with TracFone, that Walmart sells, although it has very mixed reviews at TracFone. But now that Verizon has bought TracFone, I am not sure what to do.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,997
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliaRose View Post
    Some in our local rural area can barely make calls or send texts on 3G right now. It depends on the tower locations. The basic gist from Verizon is the 3G losing "room", so they can have more space for the 4G and 5G. Meaning, even though we have until Dec., they don't care if you lose service you're paying for. Hence, me trying to find the 4G flip soon that I'd be most sastisfied with...the lesser of the evils I should say.
    When Verizon extended the 3G shutdown from 1/1/20 to 1/1/21 it was with the caveat that it would only be as-is, where-is, with no guarantee of service.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra2 View Post
    I have an LG Exalt LTE, service with Verizon. I have never tried to put any ringtones or sounds on it.

    It is possible to set different ringtones and message tone alert sounds for different contacts.

    I find the choices limited and many of them are not pleasant to listen to, to my ear.

    This flip phone was the best one I could find at the time I bought it.

    It does not have several features on it that previous flip phones had, and the LG Exalt LTE was very expensive.

    The one I have is not good at keeping a call when there is weak signal. Using it on WiFi calling was worse, because while the phone switches from Verizon to WiFi, the other person is talking, and there is no sound through the phone until the switch is complete.

    It does not have 3g, only 4G and LTE. If I have it right, that means calls with someone using a 3G phone can be spotty.

    I was thinking of getting the LG 125DL with TracFone, that Walmart sells, although it has very mixed reviews at TracFone. But now that Verizon has bought TracFone, I am not sure what to do.
    Have you heard if them buying tracphone will open up availability to use other phones or if it's just gonna be the same way, except that they will be the owners?

    I wanted to get the Exalt LTE, but the more I looked at the front screen (pacman dots), the more it drove me insane. The clock numbers were not even in a straight line....they were stacked on top of each other weirdly. I don't know why they think people would want that.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    When Verizon extended the 3G shutdown from 1/1/20 to 1/1/21 it was with the caveat that it would only be as-is, where-is, with no guarantee of service.
    I just wish it would work as it already was until the cutoff time, rather than them ignoring service issues that anyone has who owns a 3G phone.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliaRose View Post
    Have you heard if them buying tracphone will open up availability to use other phones or if it's just gonna be the same way, except that they will be the owners?

    I wanted to get the Exalt LTE, but the more I looked at the front screen (pacman dots), the more it drove me insane. The clock numbers were not even in a straight line....they were stacked on top of each other weirdly. I don't know why they think people would want that.

    Because the takeover has not been finalized, there is no way to know what the specific effects of Verizon's changes to Tracfone will be.

    The Exalt LTE has better sound quality than the other flip phones I tried at the time. I do not know if the DL125 has the same or better sound quality. Because I use a phone to make phone calls, sound quality is my primary criterion.

    As the preference options in basic flipphone functions has been deliberately increasingly limited, we either take what is there, or do without.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Advice for CDMA Flip Phone user
    By HardWird in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-15-2019, 11:11 PM
  2. Looking for UTNT no data on a 4G flip phone.
    By barryspar in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2019, 02:25 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
  4. Flip phone user moving to slider
    By puter in forum AT&T Regular Phones
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 07:17 PM

Bookmarks