Thread: AT&T and SpaceMobile deal so we can use satellite on existing devices.

Feedback Score

AT&T and SpaceMobile deal so we can use satellite on existing devices.

https://www.lightreading.com/4g3gwif...d/d-id/762791?

This is awesome. A satellite will be broadcasting directly to regular at&t bands that existing devices will be able to use. Im not sure how this works but I guess its like a cellphone tower in the sky.

It doesn’t disclose how it works but AT&T apparently is working with them for band 5 testing on their first satellite which is their 850 mhz band.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    https://www.lightreading.com/4g3gwif...d/d-id/762791?

This is awesome. A satellite will be broadcasting directly to regular at&t bands that existing devices will be able to use. Im not sure how this works but I guess its like a cellphone tower in the sky.

It doesn’t disclose how it works but AT&T apparently is working with them for band 5 testing on their first satellite which is their 850 mhz band.
    But will it go down like dish and direct TV do, when bad weather happens?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    But will it go down like dish and direct TV do, when bad weather happens?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    They will eventually have over 200 Low earth orbit satellite as per their plans. It should in theory be as reliable as the existing wireless network since it uses the same frequency bands such as PCS, AWS and WCS. They used the first satellite to test PCS Band 5 as per the FCC on AT&T apparently.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Had a nostalgia moment, dug out my ATT TerreStar Genus Cell/Sat phone ATT was ahead of their time.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Had a nostalgia moment, dug out my ATT TerreStar Genus Cell/Sat phone ATT was ahead of their time.
    It was a smaller device than most normal satellite phones at the time which also worked with AT&T on a Microsoft based platform which had similarities to the Blackberry.

What is different now is that android and ios devices already on AT&T should work with it. On my AT&T ios devices all I should need to do is update the Carrier version. In a previous version of carrier update, it enabled the Loon project which was a wireless antenna on a ballon when puerto rico’s wireless network went down.

This time it appears to be based on satellites in orbit at low altitudes which coexist with AT&T’s frequencies so it comes to your device as if it was an existing signal. There were other firms working on solutions but this one had a test with AT&T and they seem to be interested in signing a future deal.

If it does work well, it would give AT&T global coverage once all their satellites are launched.

It is unlikely however this feature will be included in standard plans as it probably will wind up as a separate roaming package or as an add on but if it works it should be available on all devices which is a huge benefit for full coverage everywhere.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    It was a smaller device than most normal satellite phones at the time which also worked with AT&T on a Microsoft based platform which had similarities to the Blackberry.

What is different now is that android and ios devices already on AT&T should work with it. On my AT&T ios devices all I should need to do is update the Carrier version. In a previous version of carrier update, it enabled the Loon project which was a wireless antenna on a ballon when puerto rico’s wireless network went down.

This time it appears to be based on satellites in orbit at low altitudes which coexist with AT&T’s frequencies so it comes to your device as if it was an existing signal.
    Yeah I know all that, hence the nostalgia comment.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Oof, band 5? This is licensed market-by-market, there's loads of areas (for both AT&T and Verizon) where they have a license in one county but not the next. They will definitely need some tight spot beams to avoid massive out-of-area interference. Do they have any band with close to a nationwide license? That'll be the band to run service on. Hopefully these satellites support plenty of bands . Man, what a coup though if this works, going straight to near-100% outdoor coverage?