Thread: Glass back phones, why?

Feedback Score

Glass back phones, why?

Was reading a write up for new phone released by Samsung touting a glass back. Is this really a benefit, what is the attraction, is there a functional purpose? Seems once you install a case, it will not bee seen. And without a case, as much as I drop my phones it would not last a week.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I thought that Apple first started the trend on the iPhone but I don't think there is a specific need for glass. I think it is merely aesthetics and not function. I am all for buying a protective case, but many consumers just use their phone without a case of any kind. All a matter of preference whether or not you need or want it.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    Was reading a write up for new phone released by Samsung touting a glass back. Is this really a benefit, what is the attraction, is there a functional purpose? Seems once you install a case, it will not bee seen. And without a case, as much as I drop my phones it would not last a week.
    It allows wireless charging that a metal back would not. It appears to be a more premium material than cheap plastic. I think they are fiber reinforced so they don't break all that easily.

I have two. They make the phone heavy. I would rather have plastic. In a case the back is never seen anyway.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Should make phones out of carbon fiber, very light and strong. At least then they could justify the over inflated pricing

Feedback Score
    I think it's so more phones get damaged. Leading to buying of replacement phones.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the super View Post
    Should make phones out of carbon fiber, very light and strong. At least then they could justify the over inflated pricing
    I think carbon fiber would block the magnetic field for wireless charging. Wireless charging is one of the major reason for glass backs.

I have two glass back phones. A Moto G6 and a Moto G7 Power. Neither were particularly expensive at ~$180. They don't have wireless charging AFAIK.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    This is a quote from TheVerge.com March 5,2018

“ Using glass also means signals like Wi-Fi, LTE, and Bluetooth are stronger without the need

for clunky antenna lines embedded into the frames.”

I don’t like the fragility and weight it adds to a phone, as others have commented.