Thread: After the storm.....

Feedback Score

After the storm.....

After up to 90mph derecho in SW Chgo suburbs, all power is out. The only data working is ATT on the LTE off setting. LTE all choked up. Am also subscribed to T and VZ. No data at all from T. VZ LTE is choked up and dead. Their 3g works, but slow and long pings.

Wonder how Firstnet is performing?

Interesting afternoon in the nayborhood.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Iowa City, (Verizon Wireless) we've gotten about 90MPH winds too. I'm over 22GB and so deprioritized; it's pretty bad, right around dialup speed. I think I can persuade my phone to force 3G, actually I should try that, why not? VZW here has about 10 or 12 cell sites that've been up since like the 1980s, I think these all have generators on them. Within the last year or so put out these microcells every 2 or 3 blocks, the only one I've managed to spot was pretty small, no room for a generator and if it has battery backup it's pretty small. I assume areas here without power probably have had the microcells go out, so the main sites and adjacent microcells (in areas that have power) are all nice and overloaded. Plus I'm sure probably loads of people's Mediacom (cable) and CenturyLink (DSL) are out, so if they have power they'll be using their hotspots like crazy.

Edit: Yeah I switch to 3G and I'm getting about 10x the speed, close to 1mbps...

Feedback Score
    I am not getting near you on 3g vz. Hope it’s stable.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingc View Post
    I am not getting near you on 3g vz. Hope it’s stable.
    I'm as surprised as anybody; I assume they're probably down to 1 3g and 1 1x channel, there must not be much traffic left on there at all .