Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tmobile now owns Sprint mvnos division, are (ex) Sprint mvnos still activating Sprint cdma devices?

Feedback Score

Tmobile now owns Sprint mvnos division, are (ex) Sprint mvnos still activating Sprint cdma devices?

Just curious. Sprint has been totally dissolved into three parts. Postpaid Sprint is now part of Tmobile. Sprint Prepaid Group (Boost mobile/Virgin etc) are now a divested asset of Dish network but the Sprint mvnos are a strange area. My guess is that Sprint mvnos running on legacy Sprint contracts can still activate Sprint devices on their mvno systems. Anyone know about this? Are once Sprint mvnos still able to activate old Sprint devices (LTE of course) even though the system they are running off of are now owned by Tmobile? Any specific Sprint mvnos doing this?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    The Sprint network is now owned by T-Mobile.
    Sprint MVNOs are still activating Sprint network compatible phones on the Sprint network..
    T-mobile is slowly dismantling the Sprint network, in less than 2 years it will likely be totally gone.
    I expect Sprint MVNOs will eventually start migrating their customers to the T-Mobile network.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    What will happen to Tello?

Feedback Score
    this was posted in the sprint section - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-after-Aug-2nd

Feedback Score
    What is TMobile doing about newer devices that are locked to Sprint? Like iPhone 7, 8, and above?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue 023 View Post
    Are once Sprint mvnos still able to activate old Sprint devices (LTE of course) even though the system they are running off of are now owned by Tmobile? Any specific Sprint mvnos doing this?
    As a Sprint MVNO, I'm still activating CDMA-only phones. I tell people they will probably only work for another couple of years--but it would be the same for 4G phones.

I have received no communication whatsoever about the merger from Sprint/New T-Mobile.
    Last edited by andybalholm; 08-11-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: fix UTF-8 issue

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Years? I'd be very surprised if it's more than 1-2 years.

Feedback Score
    I know I was able to activate on the Sprint network through Tello today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    What is TMobile doing about newer devices that are locked to Sprint? Like iPhone 7, 8, and above?
    nothing that i am aware of has been announced

i do know that some but not all sprint iPhones on Sprint MVNO's have magically become unlocked recently. have not really been able to figure out why. boost has been accepting for years phones that most MVNO's have not including ones that are not yet paid off on financing. i have seen a few of those become unlocked despite still showing 'unpaid bills' status.

as far as know no iPhones that were not currently active have been unlocked(i have check the status on several) and i doubt T-Mobile would have any interest in helping out the secondary used phone market by unlocking them. if anything it will likely be targeted at phones to be migrated to the T-Mobile network.

i did swap a different sprint locked iPhone onto a boost account were the active handset turned to unlocked status and will give it some time and see if the same happens.

Feedback Score

Sprint mvnos

Quote Originally Posted by andybalholm View Post
    As a Sprint MVNO, I'm still activating CDMA-only phones. I tell people they will probably only work for another couple of years--but it would be the same for 4G phones.

I have received no communication whatsoever about the merger from Sprint/New T-Mobile.

Which Sprint mvno do you represent?

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue 023 View Post
    Which Sprint mvno do you represent?
    I have the same question. Don't come on here claiming to be something like that without having a way for us to verify it.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevdogg32901 View Post
    I know I was able to activate on the Sprint network through Tello today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On 8/6 I activated -- swapped into an existing Tello account, actually -- an ancient, non-LTE/3G only Sprint device. Works fine. No 'EOL" warnings of any kind.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score

Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    On 8/6 I activated -- swapped into an existing Tello account, actually -- an ancient, non-LTE/3G only Sprint device. Works fine. No 'EOL" warnings of any kind.
    I activated a really old phone on Tello last week to prevent their canceling the line and they did warn me that the experience would be not optimal. I forget what the term they used was. I am guessing that they meant that after Jan 1 it won't have the correct frequency support to make calls. Just a guess. It is a LG Rumor 2 slider. The battery is acting flaky and it is a glovebox phone for the car I barely drive anywhere.

I let a bunch of my hobby and why not lines go recently. Forgot to renew at Pageplus and lost my rollover so decided to stop that line. Two lines at Tello that don't see any use so let them get deactivated. A backup at VZ prepaid that I could not justify anymore. I have two at Red Pocket expired or about to and honestly considering that I don't need them either.

Feedback Score
    Did a phone swap alone on Tello actually prevent an upcoming deactivation that they notified you of?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cobo View Post
    Did a phone swap alone on Tello actually prevent an upcoming deactivation that they notified you of?
    It's not supposed to. This is all I should say. I heard that it did not, and swapped anyway. Why not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast