Thread: Using WIFI with a talk only plan?

Feedback Score

Using WIFI with a talk only plan?

I recently activated a 500 minute talk only plan (no text or data) with Consumer Cellular because I wanted to test the service and coverage. I am using the service with a Moto G Power smart phone and use data when I have a WIFI connection. I wonder if this is a TOS violation? The reason I ask is many years ago I had an AT&T plan that provided talk and text on a BYOD feature phone. I bought a cheap ZTE smart phone and was using for WIFI data. About a week after I started i got an email from AT&T saying this was a TOS violation and they upgraded my plan to a talk, text and data plan. I looked at Consume Cellular TOS and could not find anything applicable. Is this a TOS violation?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I don't think they know or care if you use wifi for Internet access.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    WiFi is a separate radio and has nothing to do with the phone company. The WiFi on/off switch is separate from the cellular Data on/off switch. Just keep the cellular Data switch off so the phone company will not get any signals.

Maybe this is what happened years ago. The Data switch was on.

With newer phones, if there is a WiFi signal that is locked in, the Data signal tends to automatically pause to save money. That is if both switches are on.

Feedback Score
    there should be no issue at all

what may of been an issue years ago is if you had cheap unlimited data(sometimes was only around $5/month) intended for use on a basic or feature phone and that SIM was in a smartphone. for example at one time it was not unusual to use a cheap t-mobile 't-zones' plan in an iPhone for unlimited data

i do not believe any MVNO has ever tied rate plans to handset models

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I see no issue with using WiFi on a phone. I have even used phones without service on WiFi with no issues.

WiFi is a different part of the phone that the carrier should not worry about.

As far as your past issue with this, that sounds like your mobile data was on or some app on the phone enabled mobile data thinking it needed the mobile data. That is hard to know what was happening there.

Feedback Score
    You just need to turn off the Cell Data in the phone settings to be absolutely sure that the phone doesn't try to use that as a "speed boost".
    WiFi is not visible to the phone company, legally it's not their signal.

Feedback Score
    Only thing I can think of is if you have a cheap subsidized or locked phone, (years ago)they would either disable the wifi feature at the factory or tell you you were not allowed to use data on the phone that you didn't buy from them. They had the same kind of rules with tethering, either blocked or just a "soft" rule.

Feedback Score
    They are not allowed to do that. They have no license for the WiFi spectrum, they can't impose any fees for it.
    Only way to block that would be to disable it in firmware, but that is not what OP asked.