Thread: Dish Feels Prepaid is Backwards

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score

Dish Feels Prepaid is Backwards

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...epaid-business

This article may give some insights as to the direction that Boost will be heading into for the future. While he may have a point with the free phone promotions, it's not like the free phones are flagship quality. Years ago, some of them cost under $40 or were ones that no one on postpaid wanted. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...epaid-business

This article may give some insights as to the direction that Boost will be heading into for the future. While he may have a point with the free phone promotions, it's not like the free phones are flagship quality. Years ago, some of them cost under $40 or were ones that no one on postpaid wanted. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
    So the new cheap plans with little data are for old people but I don't think older people are going to want to go into the boost store.

So they are being cheap with data because they are an MVNO and have to pay t-mobile for data. They definitely cut my data because I had a good promo plan at a cheaper price. They made my brother pay $5 more per month when he swapped a phone too and he only had 6 GB.

I don't see the cost of the phone being a big deal anymore. And you are right the free phones are the cheap phones not the iphone.

I got a good unlocked phone for $123 so that is not a lot. If they are worried about the cost of the phone I am happy buying an unlocked phone BYOD.

Also I don't know what he is talking about saying in other countries prepaid cost more. I heard most other countries like the UK you can get unlimited for $10 a month because they have competition. I also thought most other countries don't have postpaid as much as we do.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    The US is known for slower and more expensive data. When I was in Korea on the subway underground, I would average 120+ Mbps. Nothing near that here in the US. The fact that there have been unlimited data plans on family plans for $25 per line shows how cheap unlimited everything can be.

With their phones, I saw they are sold out of the iPhone 8 that they were selling at $300. For less than that, I got a OnePlus 7 Pro with 256 GB. There's no way I would shop around and pick the options that they are showing me at the prices they are showing.

I guess my takeaway from the article is that they want to make Boost a postpaid business, without telling everyone it is a postpaid business. There are things that are broken in prepaid, like how dealers and employees are paid. I applaud them for trying to fix what they see wrong. But I worry about the direction they are heading in because of the millions of people who will be affected by this. If they drive away too many people trying to charge as much as AT&T or Verizon, them taking over will prove to be a waste of time.

Feedback Score
    Here is an article that says they pay half as much in the UK as in the US for the same service.

https://www.moneysavingpro.com/cell-...-and-uk-bills/

These new cheap plans are not bad for someone that does not need data but most people don't want to do to a boost store in my opinion.

I think the article indicates they want to increase prices and charge more for data.

Feedback Score
    Does Dish know who their competition is? The prepaid wireless market is very competitive, and if they start getting too screwy with their pricing, the market will wield its mighty hammer as they churn themselves to death. If they're wanting to go the postpaid route, I don't see the Boost brand being a good vehicle for that. Boost has been prepaid for too many years and is associated with cheap prepaid service.

Feedback Score
    Prepaid Feels Dish is Backwards. Dish's results if they implement their ideas will quickly show Dish their ideas are backwards.

Does anyone but me think think Dish got the $1.4B for the Boost buyout from SoftBank someway somehow. Or that they will weasel out of their contractual obligations.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I think it's inevitable that they will go the postpaid route as Dish Wireless. Or they will use Virgin Mobile as a postpaid brand. Dish has been trying to get into the wireless game for years and wanted to compete with AT&T/DirecTV as far as offering television, cellular and home ISP service. But they may be in over their heads as far as how things work and what they'll be able to do. For their sake, I hope they can build out their network quickly since that will be a big key to their survival. Otherwise, they'll be a slave to T-Mobile.