Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5G NR Low Band Max Speeds

Feedback Score

5G NR Low Band Max Speeds

I know with LTE you can get a theoretical max speed of 37.5 Mbps for every 5 MHz. What is the theoretical max for every 5 MHz of 5G? Looking to compare for example what 10 MHz of Band 71 LTE is capable of versus 10 MHz of n71 5G NR. Also, does it make a difference if it’s SA or NSA?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THoAddict01 View Post
    I know with LTE you can get a theoretical max speed of 37.5 Mbps for every 5 MHz. What is the theoretical max for every 5 MHz of 5G? Looking to compare for example what 10 MHz of Band 71 LTE is capable of versus 10 MHz of n71 5G NR. Also, does it make a difference if it’s SA or NSA?
    On low band narrow channels there is not much difference from LTE.

They turned on 5 MHz of band 71 LTE here last December. The best I have gotten out of it was 8 Mbps, but I did not drive around to try to get next to a tower. 8 Mbps is representative of what they have deployed here at places in town where I would normally go, not somewhere out in the country.

I recently checked the neighboring rural county. T-Mo was very spotty there when I checked a couple of years ago. Now there is usable signal all along the main road, but it was only 1-3 Mbps.

There is now signal inside my house where there was none before, but it's slow - 3-8 Mbps.

Not very impressive.

Not buying a 5G phone just to try to get better speed from T-Mo. Verizon works just fine and fast on LTE. Someday in the next few years 5G may matter enough to warrant a new phone.

NSA would effect your upload speed. It uses LTE on another band as an anchor channel and uploads go there. I believe I heard that T-Mo is starting to switch some of their n71 to SA.

Feedback Score
    You can use a calculator to find out...
    https://www.sqimway.com/nr_capability.php

With 5 MHz, 2x2 MIMO and 256QAM, LTE would give you 49 Mbps, and NR would give you 53 Mbps.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    On low band narrow channels there is not much difference from LTE.

They turned on 5 MHz of band 71 LTE here last December. The best I have gotten out of it was 8 Mbps, but I did not drive around to try to get next to a tower. 8 Mbps is representative of what they have deployed here at places in town where I would normally go, not somewhere out in the country.

I recently checked the neighboring rural county. T-Mo was very spotty there when I checked a couple of years ago. Now there is usable signal all along the main road, but it was only 1-3 Mbps.

There is now signal inside my house where there was none before, but it's slow - 3-8 Mbps.

Not very impressive.

Not buying a 5G phone just to try to get better speed from T-Mo. Verizon works just fine and fast on LTE. Someday in the next few years 5G may matter enough to warrant a new phone.

NSA would effect your upload speed. It uses LTE on another band as an anchor channel and uploads go there. I believe I heard that T-Mo is starting to switch some of their n71 to SA.
    i'd wait a year or two anyway for Sprint to be digested before worrying about 5G. I just grabbed a 5G device because the work I do, it currently helps (that is, until all the iPhone's take out what little capacity there is on 5G in the fall)

If they *really* are doing 700 towers a week with 2.5GHz and getting Sprint's assets moved as fast as they claim, they'll be pretty good by fall, and in a year have over half the network converted.. which should even help LTE only devices.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah.. Wait for some rebuild and refarm. In urban areas, you might notice changes earlier.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    You can use a calculator to find out...
    https://www.sqimway.com/nr_capability.php

With 5 MHz, 2x2 MIMO and 256QAM, LTE would give you 49 Mbps, and NR would give you 53 Mbps.
    So in areas with 15X15 MHz with 5X5 on LTE and 10X10 on 5G you get 49 Mbps( 4G ) and 106 Mbps( 5G). Where as if they left the whole 15X15 on LTE you'd get 147 Mbps. I still say leaving all the lowband on LTE for now would have been the best move. That's more important than bragging rights about 5G

Feedback Score
    Pretty much yeah. To be more precise: 10 MHz 2x2 NR would be up to 111 Mbps. 15 MHz on LTE would be 149 Mbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Pretty much yeah. To be more precise: 10 MHz 2x2 NR would be up to 111 Mbps. 15 MHz on LTE would be 149 Mbps.
    So not only would it be faster EVERYONE would get he benefit of faster speed not the 5% that actually own 5G phones

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    So not only would it be faster EVERYONE would get he benefit of faster speed not the 5% that actually own 5G phones
    idk; I actually think my LTE phone is faster

Due to LAA being on all the sites around here.. the LTE only device is around 300Mbps during the day vs 150Mbps on the OnePlus 5G

I can say the average speed, even during peak is more than fine:

Last edited by brad15; 08-15-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    idk; I actually think my LTE phone is faster

Due to LAA being on all the sites around here.. the LTE only device is around 300Mbps during the day vs 150Mbps on the OnePlus 5G

I can say the average speed, even during peak is more than fine:

Were specifically talking about the capabilities of band 71 only

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Were specifically talking about the capabilities of band 71 only
    Except the most common configuration is with nr71 aggregated with LTE. Which would be a different calculator:

https://www.sqimway.com/nr_ca.php

And the combination provides 5G users with faster speeds than using LTE alone. (With the exception that brad15 had with LAA---however that is not currently that common.)

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    To be honest, I think flipping on band 71 5G is (at the moment) more for the bragging rights of extensive 5G coverage, and from a pure network standpoint it probably would have been better to keep band 71 LTE. But, I don't think doing what they did is that bad a decision either.

Verizon's king here in eastern Iowa, speeds are nice if I have a good signal, but if I'm in an area with like a bar of band 13, it might hit 10mbps but 3-5mbps is common, and 1-3mbps is definitely possible if it's a bit weaker. That's physics; I don't want to have my service drop in and out as I leave town, go into buildings, etc., but (within reason) getting lower speeds in those spots doesn't bother me at all. Starting 5G out with a coverage band first lets it meet this goal, at a little cost to 4G speed but hopefully not too much (given that the band 71 LTE is for fringe coverage, where band 4, 2, etc. don't reach.)

Sub-mmwave 5G (low band, mid band, etc.) is not a magic wand, but if DSS (dynamic spectrum sharing) on existing 4G bands gets the 20-50% speed boost (when most users have 5G devices), that's that much more capacity without lighting up a single new channel let alone all that extra Sprint spectrum and such.

The way networks work, that might not even be a 20-50% speedup, it might be more; the way congestion works on data networks, it's like users start performing a lot of transactions, it makes things start to slow down; each transaction takes longer to finish, meaning even MORE active transactions, which slows things more. Because of this snowball effect, the counterintuitive result is sometimes adding even 5-10% capacity can double user's data speeds or more.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Maybe, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    B71 only is a wide range of speed for me. Can be less than 5 and as high as 30.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Except the most common configuration is with nr71 aggregated with LTE. Which would be a different calculator:

https://www.sqimway.com/nr_ca.php

And the combination provides 5G users with faster speeds than using LTE alone. (With the exception that brad15 had with LAA---however that is not currently that common.)
    So you're saying 10X10 n71 with aggregated with LTE is faster than 15X15 band 71 aggregated with those some other LTE bands? doubtful

Also T-Mobile is moving towards SA 5G which would not be aggregated with LTE and just be n71 until n41 can be deployed in an area which may places will be years

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can't say for everywhere, but in many sites with B71 , I am typically using only B2/B4 aggregated, and sometimes B12 or B71 + B2/B4. With a 5G phone, I would expect n71 + B4/B2 on those specific sites ... Using NSA. SA would be n71 or b4/b2 and possibly b12. For those with 'layer cake' you can get n41 which should increase capacity a lot.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast