Thread: Need basic flip phone for 70 yo father

Feedback Score

Need basic flip phone for 70 yo father

We use Boom Mobile MVNO on Verizon's network. He makes phone calls only, has no use for e-mail, data, texting, camera, etc. Apparently I've discovered that 3G phones are no longer being activated? So I'm having a heck of a time finding a phone for him that will work w/ Verizon AND is 4G. Ideally looking at less than $100, and about his only requirement is he likes it to have the little screen on the outside so he can see the time and who is calling. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Don't know if you have found a phone yet, but you might visit a cell phone store and check the used inventory. Tell them you need an unlocked 4G CDMA phone. Search Ebay for the same. Nice of you to help your dad. I'm also 70, and the self proclaimed "World's Oldest Jailbreaker" of my iPhone. Tech stuff is fun for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace77 View Post
    We use Boom Mobile MVNO on Verizon's network. He makes phone calls only, has no use for e-mail, data, texting, camera, etc. Apparently I've discovered that 3G phones are no longer being activated? So I'm having a heck of a time finding a phone for him that will work w/ Verizon AND is 4G. Ideally looking at less than $100, and about his only requirement is he likes it to have the little screen on the outside so he can see the time and who is calling. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    If you dare to, check with Page Plus Cellular, an online-only cellular service company from which you can also purchase the device you want, if you are comfortable with the selection. The company does offer to sell a small number of basic flip phones, and yes! You can expect them to be 4G LTE. You might also like some of the price offerings for pay-as-you-go service.

Feedback Score
    Only one I know is Alcatel GO FLIP™V. $99.99 retail at Verizon.
    https://www.verizon.com/basic-phones/alcatel-go-flip-v/
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Only one I know is Alcatel GO FLIP™V. $99.99 retail at Verizon.
    https://www.verizon.com/basic-phones/alcatel-go-flip-v/
    Lower price might be found for it somewhere else.

If Page Plus Cellular service is acceptable, the company currently is selling LG Classic Flip ($40), and NUU F4L Flip Phone ($60).
    (These phones would be locked for expected use with Page Plus Cellular which is one of the Tracfone companies.)

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    GSMarena shows 5 "flip" phones with LTE band 13, which would be needed on Verizon.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php...ormFactors=2,3
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    The Tracfone LG Classic Flip goes on sale for $30.00 from time to time at Best Buy. (It runs on Verizon network) It is by far the best flip phone available now for battery life. The Alcatel flips have terrible battery life.

I put my 82 year old mom on the $20.00 per month UT&T plan.(She loves it & yes she uses a LOT of minutes) The display on it is smaller than her old flip phone, but she has no trouble reading it. I tried getting her to use a smartphone, but it just didn't work out . . . . .

YIKES, just noticed the OP posted this thread back in August & then just disappeared . . . . . . . .

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If you’re father wouldn’t mind moving his number to Metro by T-Mobile the Alcatel Go Flip 3 is free. You just have to pay the tax and activation fees up front if applicable in-store.

https://www.metrobyt-mobile.com/shop...k/610214661470

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017