Thread: 5G QWERTY Keyboard-Packing BlackBerries coming in 2021!!!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Exclamation 5G QWERTY Keyboard-Packing BlackBerries coming in 2021!!!

And once again, the BlackBerry smartphone brand rises from the ashes like a phoenix!

New BlackBerry-branded devices w/ QWERTY keyboards set to come in 2021

The 5G BlackBerry could be 'the most American-made phone out there'

I, for one, can't wait for the official unveiling! Hopefully by the time it gets here, T-Mobile will have enough 5G coverage for it to be worth the upgrade from my Key2!
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Device(s)
    Note 20 Ultra 5G, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I heard about this on NTD News, and read this article online:

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2020/...id-phone-2021/

They say OnwardMobility is out of Texas and working with our Taiwanese friends at FOXCONN for the device. I'm also stoked to check it out. With the last few BlackBerries, I've been thoroughly disappointed with their actual physical keyboards. If the keyboard isn't spectacular, what's the point?

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / On YouTube: @AlexKidd4Fun

Device(s)
    Samsung S10+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    I heard about this on NTD News, and read this article online:

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2020/...id-phone-2021/

They say OnwardMobility is out of Texas and working with our Taiwanese friends at FOXCONN for the device. I'm also stoked to check it out. With the last few BlackBerries, I've been thoroughly disappointed with their actual physical keyboards. If the keyboard isn't spectacular, what's the point?

--Kidd
    I could have put up with the PKB on the TCL manufactured devices, there weren't bad, just not the best for a BB. It was the premium pricing and very meh specs I couldn't tolerate. The devices themselves weren't badly built. Really looking forward to see what Onward does with the brand, pretty much most of them are ex-BB managers who you would hope would have a better understanding of what makes a BB a BB

Device(s)
    Pixel 3A & iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Key2 keyboard was the best BlackBerry keyboard I've ever used (and I've had a lot of BlackBerry's). Way better than the KeyONE's keyboard.

Feedback Score
    It'll be interesting to see what kind of carrier penetration these guys can get.

Device(s)
    Note 20 Ultra 5G, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    The Key2 keyboard was the best BlackBerry keyboard I've ever used (and I've had a lot of BlackBerry's). Way better than the KeyONE's keyboard.
    Hmm. I never had a chance to try out the Key2. It did at least have a four row layout. The thing I really don't prefer about the modern models are the perfectly square keys. The older models like the 8700 that had spacing between the keys and slightly slanted design, I could absolutely fly on those. That's what I wish for again -- I'm not holding my breath that's coming though. I can only hope that maybe they come up with something new I hadn't imagined before that does promote accuracy and speed.

--Kidd

Feedback Score
    Frankly speaking, it is already very strange to see a QWERTY keyboard...

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max / iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I'm glad they aren't working with TCL anymore. The back end of my BB KeyOne peels off and I can't even get it back in place. I did some looking around and it seems that this is problem with some users. What a disappointment this is. I miss the days when BB actually made both the devices and software together.

I'm using my BB KeyOne for emails again, after using the Samsung S8. I don't really like the virtual keyboard for emails because it's too inaccurate for me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    With the last few BlackBerries, I've been thoroughly disappointed with their actual physical keyboards. If the keyboard isn't spectacular, what's the point?

--Kidd
    I miss the BB Bold 9000, 9900 and Classic.
    The KeyOne is ok, but I think the keyboard is too small. The ones I mentioned, were perfect with their decently sized keyboards.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3A & iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Still rocking a KeyONE?! That's impressive. I got rid of mine a few years ago because it was so slow/low on memory that I couldn't do very basic functions such as connecting it to Android Auto without it crashing. That and ongoing WiFi issues. Great form factor though. But the Key2 was miles ahead IMO.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I still have a KeyOne. I mean, it's got 3GB of RAM, it's not that bad RAM-wise; I do have the VZW model that received virtually no updates, so still Android 7.1.1 on it though; I don't know if Android 9 is maybe more RAM-hungry. (I do use the bluetooth tether on mine, it's fast enough while using near-0 battery compared to running a wifi hotspot; I found that leaks memory, so I reboot it after a lengthy tether session.) Key2 did have more or less double the specs (RAM & CPU power at least) so i expect it'd be a bit snappier.

I love having a physical keyboard, I'm glad there'll be more choices than just FXtec Pro1 (which looks like a pretty nice phone but too pricey for me for now, I'm sure the 5G Blackberry will also be rather pricey when it comes out too of course.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It's kinda difficult to rock with the KeyONE because the back is peeling off and gets in the way of me trying to use and has the potential to get caught somewhere and runs sloowly. Battery life is still good, but it's the back that's annoying. I still love the physical keyboard even though I'm an hardcore iPhone user, my typing accuracy increases with the physical keyboard as opposed to the virtual keyboard.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    I do miss having a physical keyboard.

Blackberry lost my trust with the back door in BBM. I carried their devices for more than a decade.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    I wish them good luck. I also think they'll need it. Privacy and (Google) Android don't mix. If you want true privacy in a smartphone, your choices are Apple or AOSP.

I use iOS now and like it, but I miss BB10. I thought it was close to perfect. Unfortunately, the market seems unable to support more than two smartphone platforms.

Richard

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'm not sure what future they will have for the consumer market because they exited the hardware/software combination market and it seems, moved to focus on the software/application subscription model for commercial market. I do miss BBOS even with the lack of apps and not as sharp looking GUI as iOS, but it did what it was supposed to do.