Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Phone

Feedback Score

New Phone

I just bought an unlocked phone. When I transfer service, would I need a new SIM for the transfer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    I just bought an unlocked phone. When I transfer service, would I need a new SIM for the transfer?
    Which TF network? Is the SIM size the same?

Feedback Score
    What kind of sim do you have now? BYOP? Att or Verizon?

Feedback Score
    More info always helps. DUH!

I have sim swapped so I'm using the new phone now. Vzw on TF.

Device(s)
    Samsung Sky (SM-S320VL)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    More info always helps. DUH!

I have sim swapped so I'm using the new phone now. Vzw on TF.
    OH, so my current TF has a micro sim so if I just move that to a new Samsung A51, it'll just be up and running automatically on my current sim? I don't need a BYOP kit?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
    OH, so my current TF has a micro sim so if I just move that to a new Samsung A51, it'll just be up and running automatically on my current sim? I don't need a BYOP kit?
    If your current phone actually has a MICRO (not nano) SIM, it'll need to be cut down to a nano-size to fit into a Samsung A51.

What you and Chris are doing will work FUNCTIONALLY, but it can cause problems. The original SIM of a TF-branded phone is paired with that phone's IMEI in TF system. Verizon and TF will know that you're NOT using a BYOP SIM in a BYOP SIM, but so far they aren't enforcing that. But if the TF-branded phone (the Sky in your case) is sold/given away and the new owner activate it with a new SIM, TF will deactivate the original SIM (being used in your BYOP phone) and you'll lose all your balances and service.

Device(s)
    Samsung Sky (SM-S320VL)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    OK, so the safe thing for me to do is use one of the nano sims from one of the BYOP kits I bought a while ago. Will just do that to be safe. Thanks! As ALWAYS you're a HUGE help!

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If your current phone actually has a MICRO (not nano) SIM, it'll need to be cut down to a nano-size to fit into a Samsung A51.

What you and Chris are doing will work FUNCTIONALLY, but it can cause problems. The original SIM of a TF-branded phone is paired with that phone's IMEI in TF system. Verizon and TF will know that you're NOT using a BYOP SIM in a BYOP SIM, but so far they're aren't enforcing that. But if the TF-branded phone (the Sky in your case) is sold/given away and the new owner activate it with a new SIM, TF will deactivate the original SIM (being used in your BYOP phone) and you'll lose all your balances and service.

Feedback Score

What you and Chris are doing will work FUNCTIONALLY, but it can cause problems. The original SIM of a TF-branded phone is paired with that phone's IMEI in TF system. Verizon and TF will know that you're NOT using a BYOP SIM in a BYOP SIM, but so far they aren't enforcing that. But if the TF-branded phone (the Sky in your case) is sold/given away and the new owner activate it with a new SIM, TF will deactivate the original SIM (being used in your BYOP phone) and you'll lose all your balances and service.
    In my case, I had transferred over from a TF to my BYOP unlocked phone last year and did it thru chat. What I'm wondering is, do I need a new sim to change it to the new phone or can TF chat be able to transfer the old sim to the new phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    In my case, I had transferred over from a TF to my BYOP unlocked phone last year and did it thru chat. What I'm wondering is, do I need a new sim to change it to the new phone or can TF chat be able to transfer the old sim to the new phone.
    A GSM TF/BYOP SIM (for AT&T and T-mo) is NOT tied to any phone's IMEI, and can be swapped into any compatible phone without breaking any TF rules. A Verizon TF/BYOP SIM is tied to a particular phone's IMEI. While it will work if you swap it into another compatible phone, the proper way to do it is getting a new BYOP SIM, and activate it with the new phone's IMEI, with a transfer from the current SIM.

Feedback Score
    A GSM TF/BYOP SIM (for AT&T and T-mo) is NOT tied to any phone's IMEI, and can be swapped into any compatible phone without breaking any TF rules. A Verizon TF/BYOP SIM is tied to a particular phone's IMEI. While it will work if you swap it into another compatible phone, the proper way to do it is getting a new BYOP SIM, and activate it with the new phone's IMEI, with a transfer from the current SIM.
    2 people on chat just told me that I can just sim swap. I guess I will wait until the next shift for verification.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 people on chat just told me that I can just sim swap. I guess I will wait until the next shift for verification.
    Is it a Verizon TF/BYOP SIM? If yes, and chat reps are telling you it's OK to swap, then maybe TF is now automatically pairing the SIM to the new phone's IMEI. That would make things simpler for the customers. A forum member said another TF subsidiary started doing that late last year or early this year.

Feedback Score
    Is it a Verizon TF/BYOP SIM? If yes, and chat reps are telling you it's OK to swap, then maybe TF is now automatically pairing the SIM to the new phone's IMEI. That would make things simpler for the customers. A forum member said another TF subsidiary started doing that late last year or early this year.
    Yes, it is Verizon. I've already put it in the new phone. How they know it's a new IMEI, I don't know.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it is Verizon. I've already put it in the new phone. How they know it's a new IMEI, I don't know.
    When a cell phone connects to a carrier's network, they'll know its IMEI. I'm doing a BYOP deal with AT&T itself. I never did provide the IMEI of my phones, but it knows the IMEI of my phones and displays an image of the phone if that image is in its database.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
    If the SIM (J3 Sky?) was activated before mid-year 2018 it may not be VoLTE provisioned. Swapping to a newer phone will not change that. A service transfer to a new phone/SIM will provision VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Samsung Sky (SM-S320VL)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I've decided to use one of my spare BYOP nano sims for the new phone. Only cost me a freekin' buck anyhow. lol

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If the SIM (J3 Sky?) was activated before mid-year 2018 it may not be VoLTE provisioned. Swapping to a newer phone will not change that. A service transfer to a new phone/SIM will provision VoLTE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast