Thread: Coverage from Cellmapper.net Question

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Question Coverage from Cellmapper.net Question

I'm trying to help a friend out who is interested in possibly getting service with T-Mobile, but can't read. According to cell mapper.net for the Greenville, NC (27834) area, it is showing green for bands 2, 4, 66 and 71. Isn't bands 66 and 71 good for building penetration to where it should have good cell coverage indoors in buildings? Feel free to check out cell mapper with my zip code 27834 to let me know if good coverage and better signal indoors will be good or not since I'm not cell phone tech savvy any. It will help me a lot so I'm able to help me friend out. Thanks!
    ICanHearYouNow

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHearYouNow View Post
    I'm trying to help a friend out who is interested in possibly getting service with T-Mobile, but can't read. According to cell mapper.net for the Greenville, NC (27834) area, it is showing green for bands 2, 4, 66 and 71. Isn't bands 66 and 71 good for building penetration to where it should have good cell coverage indoors in buildings? Feel free to check out cell mapper with my zip code 27834 to let me know if good coverage and better signal indoors will be good or not since I'm not cell phone tech savvy any. It will help me a lot so I'm able to help me friend out. Thanks!
    Band 71 is better for building penetration.

Band 66 is similar to Band 4 so it doesn't really improve building penetration.

It's hard to know how good the building penetration would be for the buildings that your friend is in. His best bet is to test out the network. T-Mobile will send him a hotspot for free and he can take it to the places he uses his phone at before he switches to T-Mobile. Here's the link:

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Coverage from Cellmapper.net Question

Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Band 71 is better for building penetration.

Band 66 is similar to Band 4 so it doesn't really improve building penetration.

It's hard to know how good the building penetration would be for the buildings that your friend is in. His best bet is to test out the network. T-Mobile will send him a hotspot for free and he can take it to the places he uses his phone at before he switches to T-Mobile. Here's the link:

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial
    Thanks for the idea. I had of a trial bantúes about.

As a long-time Sprint customer, I could not get any info directly from the new T-Mo.

I reside in a fringe area with Sprint and I have relied on WiFi calling, AirRave and now Pebble Casa.

I checked out the link which I pasted below and which explains why T-Mo was mum.

“Who is eligible?
    Non-T-Mobile customers that have not participated in the trial within the last 6 months.

Current T-Mobile for Business, Metro by T-Mobile, Sprint customers, or customers of T-Mobile partners using the T-Mobile network are not eligible.

Once you have participated in the Test Drive, you are not eligible to participate again for 6 months.”

Dang. I wanted move over to T-Mo if it proved beneficial (which could have meant phone upgrades since none of my (4) phones have Band 71). Patience...

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not much B71 in Greenville, NC yet. B2 / B4 (66) aren't that great for indoor coverage, but much of that depends on location and the cell tower itself. Verizon coverage bands are similar... just swap B71 for B13. AT&T looks to have a lot of spectrum deployed... B2/B4 (like VZW/T-MO), and a low band (12/14) and some higher midband band B30
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Band 71 is good for materials penetration. The rest of T-Mo's spectrum isn't. When T-Mo turned on band 71 here I went from absolutely no signal in my house to solid but slow on LTE. They put most of band 71 on 5G leaving only a tiny slice (5x5 MHz) for LTE. I get 3-5 Mbps in the house. That is usable, but not impressive. Verizon sometimes hits 50 Mbps.

5x5 MHz LTE is capable of more than the 3-5 Mbps that I get - something like 25 Mbps, but they are not doing it here. They probably skimped on the backhaul.

T-Mo is building a 5G network for the future. I'm living in the present.

As someone said, get the Test Drive hotspot if you can. It's free, no strings attached. You don't even have to give the hotspot device back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    “Who is eligible?
    Non-T-Mobile customers that have not participated in the trial within the last 6 months.

Current T-Mobile for Business, Metro by T-Mobile, Sprint customers, or customers of T-Mobile partners using the T-Mobile network are not eligible.
    If you can receive mail at another address, such as work, you can have the hotspot sent there. Or have a friend or relative order it and give it to you when it arrives. As long as you don't have it sent through your billing address and don't use the same email you have on file with Sprint, you should be able to get one.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    If you can receive mail at another address, such as work, you can have the hotspot sent there. Or have a friend or relative order it and give it to you when it arrives. As long as you don't have it sent through your billing address and don't use the same email you have on file with Sprint, you should be able to get one.
    Nice and thanks. One of my family members is on the edge of coverage so I will see if she is interested. Once she checks it out, then I will ask to borrow it. Thanks for the insight.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, looks like they've got only one B71 site there right now. That said, if the coverage shows green, they probably have near enough cell sites running enough juice to work well anyway. I've got Verizon Wireless, but up in Madison, WI, they were (pre-LTE) band 2 (PCS) only, and my service up there was fine; here in Iowa City, I'm on band 4 virtually all the time, coverage would be fine now if band 13 suddenly disappeared. The nearest cell site to me is still down due to the derecho*, and I'm STILL on band 4 from the next-nearest cell site.

*It seems like a long time to have a site down; but, other than seeing "lower bars", it has not affected speeds or service so I suppose they're fixing everything in Cedar Rapids (140MPH winds so much more damage) before they fix a site that has no practical effect.