Thread: Any cheap data plans with hotspot?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, Samsung Tab S4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Any cheap data plans with hotspot?

looking for a super cheap data plan with at least 2GB data that supports hotspot... I've currently got the freedompop 1GB year sim but that won't give me enough data and hotspot isn't officially supported... anything super cheap out there that runs on AT&T towers? was going to get the AT&T prepaid 2GB for $15 but missed out on it because I had to get a new card and deal was over after my card arrived... anything super cheap?

Feedback Score
    It's not super cheap, but 5GB/30 days for $25 isn't horrible.

https://www.redpocket.com/gsma/add/b025

Hopefully someone else will have a better suggestion for cheap AT&T data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    looking for a super cheap data plan with at least 2GB data that supports hotspot... I've currently got the freedompop 1GB year sim but that won't give me enough data and hotspot isn't officially supported... anything super cheap out there that runs on AT&T towers? was going to get the AT&T prepaid 2GB for $15 but missed out on it because I had to get a new card and deal was over after my card arrived... anything super cheap?
    prepaidcompare.net

IIRC, the AT&T $15 deal was only $15 for two months.

Feedback Score
    FreedomPop used to sell a 5GB/mo plan for as low as $119.99/year ($10/mo) when on sale at Best Buy, but Best Buy no longer carries that plan as far as I can tell.

I don't know if it ever goes on sale, but you can still get that 5GB/mo directly from FP for $149.99/year ($12.50/mo) at https://shop.freedompop.com/product/...IM-DOTRIVDKT06, or 50% of the cost of the 5GB/30 days from Red Pocket.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    FreedomPop used to sell a 5GB/mo plan for as low as $119.99/year ($10/mo) when on sale at Best Buy, but Best Buy no longer carries that plan as far as I can tell.

I don't know if it ever goes on sale, but you can still get that 5GB/mo directly from FP for $149.99/year ($12.50/mo) at https://shop.freedompop.com/product/...IM-DOTRIVDKT06, or 50% of the cost of the 5GB/30 days from Red Pocket.
    Freedompop doesn't support hotspot do they?

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've used a fp sim as a hotspot before, but my phones support hotspot on any sim. I don't think fp officially blocks as technically they're a data only provider to begin with (for the most part).

Feedback Score
    I've used my 1GB/mo prepaid FP AT&T LTE SIMs ONLY in a hotspot for the last 2 years.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I've used my 1GB/mo prepaid FP AT&T LTE SIMs ONLY in a hotspot for the last 2 years.
    Ok was wondering if hotspot function on phone works with Freedompop.. gonna buy a year Freedompop sim 5GB/Month but don't want to spend if hotspot from phone will not work

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    Ok was wondering if hotspot function on phone works with Freedompop.. gonna buy a year Freedompop sim 5GB/Month but don't want to spend if hotspot from phone will not work.
    What phone do you have that you want to hotspot. The SM-G988U1 in your sig indicates that it is a Samsung factory unlocked. However, depending on what carrier you have been using they may have pushed a carrier profile that locks the hotspot app to them. What happens if you try to hotspot it now (if you have a current service).

Carrier hotspot apps check with the carrier to see if your plan is entitled to hotspot. You won't pass that check with FP service on the phone if it checks with AT&T for entitlement.

FP doesn't care. They don't block it.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4,Moto e5,ZTE Z320,Pokefi,Isatphone 2.1,Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,Pokefi,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    All you can eat AT&T connected car unlimited plan at $20 a month plus about $3.50 in taxes and fees would be an option.

There is a Harman Spark device that could be used outside a vehicle with a power adapter.

Sent from my moto z4 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    However, depending on what carrier you have been using they may have pushed a carrier profile that locks the hotspot app to them.
    Carriers are not allowed to change the firmware of unlocked models, they will send the official Samsung signed firmware to those phones.
    All they can do is provision them, via their SIM, to have certain features "hidden". Hotspot is not one of them.

All my unlocked phones could turn on the hotspot, even if is "hidden" on the branded phones (or iPhones for that matter).

However, the provider can detect the heavy hotspot usage and can cut you off for not being compliant with the TOS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    All you can eat AT&T connected car unlimited plan at $20 a month plus about $3.50 in taxes and fees would be an option.

There is a Harman Spark device that could be used outside a vehicle with a power adapter.

Last I heard, unlike the Mobleys did, Sparks do NOT work outside the car.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4,Moto e5,ZTE Z320,Pokefi,Isatphone 2.1,Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,Pokefi,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by david0858 View Post
    Last I heard, unlike the Mobleys did, Sparks do NOT work outside the car.
    There is a Peralta power adapter for the Spark that supposedly gets around that by varying voltage but I heard from someone on Reddit it no longer works because GPS is now being monitored by AT&T. Guess they are clamping down like they did for the prepaid iPad plans.

Problem with ZTE Mobley is hard to find and build quality is really bad. Have one from Best Buy that failed and moved sim chip to mifi device. No longer use because cancelled CCU plan and Mint plan at beginning of year after porting to Visible. Saves money and got me better coverage in some areas.