Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ting Canceled My Plan

Feedback Score

Ting Canceled My Plan

I've been getting a nice low cost plan from Ting, as a former FreedomPop victim, er, customer.
    Now it's been canceled. I received this email today:
    We’re emailing you today to let you know that the Ting Mobile alternative pricing plan you're on will be discontinued after September 30, 2020. The next bill you receive after that date will revert to today’s regular Ting Mobile rates. No action is required on your part, we just want to make sure that you’re aware of these changes well in advance.

A little background: the plan you’re currently on was always billed as a temporary thing. We tried to be very clear on that point. While alternative pricing plans were slated to be discontinued earlier, we extended them several times in an effort to be helpful. Most recently and especially in these challenging times.

We continue to work on Ting Mobile pricing behind the scenes and encourage you to stick around to see what's next. Please check the FAQ for answers to... well, frequently asked questions.

Thanks! Let us know how we can help.

The Ting Mobile Team

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Remind us, what was special about this plan... What did it offer, how much? There might be an alternative.

Feedback Score
    I honestly don't know how Ting has been in business as long as they have. Their rates aren't much better than when I first looked at them circa 2012. My family doesn't even use a crazy amount of minutes, texts, and data, and it would still cost more to be on Ting than it would be on Total Wireless, whom we currently use. Even old school TracFone has always had better rates for pay as you go.

Good riddance. Maybe Dish can find some other use for them.

Feedback Score
    At least a month & 3 days is adequate notice. Good for Ting.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Remind us, what was special about this plan... What did it offer, how much? There might be an alternative.
    The plan was a bridge plan for Freedom Pop customers, before Red Pocket was ready to take us.
    The plan is $6 per month (plus fees and taxes, so mine cost a little over $8) and includes unlimited talk, unlimited text, and no data. It's a Sprint/CDMA plan, of course.
    On my other phone, after recommendations from this forum, I have the H2O $10 every 3 months pay as you go plan.
    I see RedPocket has a $2.50 per month yearly plan on ebay that seems very good--IF it will work on my Kyocera Hydra.
    By the way, my experience with Red Pocket: I transferred my LG G3 (recently deceased) from Ting to Red Pocket. It worked fine for a few weeks, and then stopped being able to make or receive calls. After much back and forth with Red Pocket, they told me my phone was broken, and I should get a new phone. I called Ting, and they had the "broken" phone up and running in 5 minutes.

Feedback Score
    Tello if interested has UTT no Data for $8 a month + taxes/fees.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Tello if interested has UTT no Data for $8 a month + taxes/fees.
    Thanks. That's a good deal, but unlimited talk and text is not a big draw for me, as I don't use the phone that much, except on vacation. So I would prefer saving a few bucks and have limited talk and text.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4,Moto e5,ZTE Z320,Pokefi,Isatphone 2.1,Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,Pokefi,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    How about ad supported FREE unlimited talk and text TextNow? Ads are not intrusive.

Using their app you get free VoIP over WiFi with fallback to free VoIP over Sprint.

You get a monthly invoice for zero dollars. Do make an occasional call every few days so the line stays active..they will warn if number will be recycled for non-use.

Sent from my moto z4 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tello also has Build your own plans for as little as $5 a month.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    my friend got the email, had a freedompop number moved over was on a $20 month for unlimited t&t plus 20gb data(hotspot allowed)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    At least a month & 3 days is adequate notice. Good for Ting.
    I agree. They did the right thing with the appropriate notice. In my case, they've not met our needs at the price points we'd like to have, so we have different phone service. But, I have to give credit where it is due. And, my interactions with them from the Ring Plus (going out of business) days were pleasant and efficient. I do recognize they provide a certain quality of customer service and that has to cost money.
    Last edited by russsell; 08-29-2020 at 07:10 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    How about ad supported FREE unlimited talk and text TextNow? Ads are not intrusive.

Using their app you get free VoIP over WiFi with fallback to free VoIP over Sprint.

You get a monthly invoice for zero dollars. Do make an occasional call every few days so the line stays active..they will warn if number will be recycled for non-use.

Sent from my moto z4 using HoFo mobile app
    Wow, thanks, that sounds great.
    My only concern is that it would be like my experience with FreedomPop: unable to make phone calls unless WiFi is available. So no calls in the car, in the supermarket, in suburban areas, etc.
    Does TextNow allow calls in all situations? Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
    Wow, thanks, that sounds great.
    My only concern is that it would be like my experience with FreedomPop: unable to make phone calls unless WiFi is available. So no calls in the car, in the supermarket, in suburban areas, etc.
    Does TextNow allow calls in all situations? Thanks again.
    TextNow works in all situations where Sprint data is available for UT&T via the TextNow app. The provided free data isn't available for anything except the TextNow app, for the free UT&T. All you need is a Sprint compatible phone and a matching Spring SIM card.

However, be advised that FreedomPop T&T did and does still work fine using the FP app over the FP provided cellular data, so I'm not sure what was causing your FP T&T service not to work properly while away from WiFi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    TextNow works in all situations where Sprint data is available for UT&T via the TextNow app. The provided free data isn't available for anything except the TextNow app, for the free UT&T. All you need is a Sprint compatible phone and a matching Spring SIM card.
    Thanks again.
    This sounds like a great option for my old Kyocera, brought out of retirement after the death of my LG G3. They were both FreedomPop phones, and the Kyocera has a Sprint SIM card in it.
    I'm not worried about the data, as I have been fine not having any. I am just worried about being able to make phone calls in situations where there is no WiFi. FreedomPop was frustratingly unreliable.
    So when my Ting option runs out, I have nothing to lose trying out TextNow. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
    Thanks again.
    This sounds like a great option for my old Kyocera, brought out of retirement after the death of my LG G3. They were both FreedomPop phones, and the Kyocera has a Sprint SIM card in it.
    I'm not worried about the data, as I have been fine not having any. I am just worried about being able to make phone calls in situations where there is no WiFi. FreedomPop was frustratingly unreliable.
    So when my Ting option runs out, I have nothing to lose trying out TextNow. Thanks!
    Which FP service are you referring to? My comment above about FP is regarding the service provided using their FP AT&T LTE SIM cards.

In any case, like I said above, TextNow works in all situations where Sprint data is available for their UT&T via the TextNow app.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast