Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Android 10 on Moto G7 Optimo Maxx Tracfone?

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

Upgrade to Android 10 on Moto G7 Optimo Maxx Tracfone?

Hi guys;
    I have a Moto G7 Optimo Maxx on Tracfone, which I purchased in July. The phone came with Android 9.
    Today I have a notification about a system upgrade available for my phone. The upgrade will install Android 10.
    Should I do the upgrade?
    On my last Tracfone; LG Fiesta 2 with Android 7, there was no upgrade over the two years I owned the phone. I came to believe that upgrades were not a part of Tracfone's plan. I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for your advice
    Ultrarunner

Feedback Score
    https://support.motorola.com/us/en/softwareupgrade

The phone is the same as the Moto G7 Power.

If you are a purist, you can factory reset the phone and then do the upgrade. Then it won't be going on top of apps which might interfere. I have had to do this in the past.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    https://support.motorola.com/us/en/softwareupgrade

The phone is the same as the Moto G7 Power.

If you are a purist, you can factory reset the phone and then do the upgrade. Then it won't be going on top of apps which might interfere. I have had to do this in the past.
    I would prefer to avoid having to re-install my apps.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You can install the update. If you have major issues, then you might want to reset it.

My G7 Optimo Maxx updated too. I had a minor crash really late last night, but I can not cause the same issue tho.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm really not so sure about this. I like the phone as it is now, so perhaps I'm best to leave it alone.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    I updated 3 of the G7 Optimo Maxx with no issues. I turned on the system-wide dark mode. Looks great!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I updated 3 of the G7 Optimo Maxx with no issues. I turned on the system-wide dark mode. Looks great!
    Yep, since that crash late last night, it has been stable. I even think I finally track down what caused the crash tho.

It was still doing background app updates, and since I was using it while it was doing those updates, it decided to crash and not close the app.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Yep, since that crash late last night, it has been stable. I even think I finally track down what caused the crash tho.

It was still doing background app updates, and since I was using it while it was doing those updates, it decided to crash and not close the app.
    Thanks guys;
    I appreciate the encouragement. I would have wanted to wait a bit longer if you had been reporting issues.
    In any case, Android appears to be a lot more stable than Windows 10.

Device(s)
    G7 Optimo Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I allowed mine to update yesterday. All went well. My first operating system update with Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    I was skeptical too but I let it do its thing and everything went well. I did turn the phone off and on after it finished. There are certainly more options. The option I would like is to be offered the upgrade and then refuse it for now and have it go into an upgrade bucket so I dont continually get nagged to upgrade. (I did find something I dont like. When the fone is asleep, and I shake it, I dont get a circle around the time showing the phone charge state. That's gone.
    Last edited by CoyoteChris; 08-30-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    I was skeptical too but I let it do its thing and everything went well. I did turn the phone off and on after it finished. There are certainly more options. The option I would like is to be offered the upgrade and then refuse it for now and have it go into an upgrade bucket so I dont continually get nagged to upgrade. (I did find something I dont like. When the fone is asleep, and I shake it, I dont get a circle around the time showing the phone charge state. That's gone.
    I like the circle with the time too. That is the only complain that I have too.

Device(s)
    G7 Optimo Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I like the circle with the time too. That is the only complain that I have too.
    All the info is still there without the circle so I am good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2015 View Post
    Hi guys;
    I have a Moto G7 Optimo Maxx on Tracfone, which I purchased in July. The phone came with Android 9.
    Today I have a notification about a system upgrade available for my phone. The upgrade will install Android 10.
    Should I do the upgrade?
    On my last Tracfone; LG Fiesta 2 with Android 7, there was no upgrade over the two years I owned the phone. I came to believe that upgrades were not a part of Tracfone's plan. I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for your advice
    Ultrarunner
    @ultrarunner2015, what did you decide to do? I am in the same situation. This is my only phone, so I sure don't want to mess it up. From the different sites I've posted on or read, it seems like everyone has been able to update easily with no issues. People have said texting and making a call are not affected, but no one has said they received a call with no issue. That was reported quite frequently early this summer.

Also, I never did update my G6 from Android 8 to Android 9 when I could. So once I activated the G7, I updated the G6 to see what the process was like and how long it took. It took 40 minutes, and I had no issues. Wonder if updating the G7 to Android 10 will take about the same amount of time.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I did the upgrade last night. It went without any issues. So far I am happy. All of my installed apps appear to be functioning properly.
    I have not yet received a phone call, but I don't use the phone much (as a phone). I use mainly texts, and that is working perfectly with Textra.

I love the dark theme!

Feedback Score
    Make sure you check your main settings, like "Update apps over wifi only" . I am still oddly pissed about the circle but oh well. I am leaving my backup G7 on Android 9. I camp out 30 plus days a year and I like bumping my phone in the middle of the night and getting the time and battery charge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast