Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone eBay bundles

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Feedback Score

Tracfone eBay bundles

I want to put purchase a LG Tracfone bundle that is on eBay. It comes with 1 year service and 1500 minutes texts and data. It’s for my mother and she currently has a Tracfone non smartphone with minutes and service. Will I be able to transfer her number minutes and service days along with the service days and bucket amounts that come with the smartphone bundle? Thanks.
    YIKES!!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can activate a new smartphone with a transfer from a non-smartphone. The phone number, minutes and days of the non-smartphone will be transferred to the smartphone, then the bundled buckets and days added on top of that. Use Chat, ask the rep for the current balance of the non-smartphone, then ask the rep to do the transfer. At the end, ask for a case numbet, then copy the chat transcript from the chat box and paste it into a text file on your computer for record.

It used to be that the number of minutes on the non-smartphone gets put into EACH bucket on the smartphone. Example: 510 minutes of the non-smartphone will become 510 talk minutes, 510 texts, and 510 MB of data on the smartphone. However, I've read that some reps nowadays will only put that amount into the talk bucket, no text, no data.

Be aware that if she doesn't like the smartphone and wants to transfer back to the non-smartphone, only 1/3 of the talk bucket will be transferred back to the non-smartphone, and the days, but no text, no data.

Take into consideration which carriers the old and new phone use. Make sure coverage is good for the smartphone. Most TF-branded phones nowadays come with Verizon coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zeply View Post
    It’s for my mother and she currently has a Tracfone non smartphone with minutes and service.
    What model is the current phone? The older phone models ended in C (Verizon) or G (AT&T or T-Mobile).

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Feedback Score
    Just an R455 Samsung slider style where the phone slides in half to qwerty keypad

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Yes, you can activate a new smartphone with a transfer from a non-smartphone. The phone number, minutes and days of the non-smartphone will be transferred to the smartphone, then the bundled buckets and days added on top of that. Use Chat, ask the rep for the current balance of the non-smartphone, then ask the rep to do the transfer. At the end, ask for a case numbet, then copy the chat transcript from the chat box and paste it into a text file on your computer for record.

It used to be that the number of minutes on the non-smartphone gets put into EACH bucket on the smartphone. Example: 510 minutes of the non-smartphone will become 510 talk minutes, 510 texts, and 510 MB of data on the smartphone. However, I've read that some reps nowadays will only put that amount into the talk bucket, no text, no data.

Be aware that if she doesn't like the smartphone and wants to transfer back to the non-smartphone, only 1/3 of the talk bucket will be transferred back to the non-smartphone, and the days, but no text, no data.

Take into consideration which carriers the old and new phone use. Make sure coverage is good for the smartphone. Most TF-branded phones nowadays come with Verizon coverage.
    Ok thanks. I appreciate it. Main thing is she just wants to keep her number although she has over 3500 minutes, so it would be nice to keep those. I don’t think the network would matter much to her. More of an emergency use and she might text a bit.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I don’t think the network would matter much to her. More of an emergency use and she might text a bit.
    Well, the network coverage definitely matter WHEN/IF she needs to make an emergency call.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just an R455 Samsung slider style where the phone slides in half to qwerty keypad
    Check and see if it has a SIM card. With old, non-LTE, TF-branded phones, only GSM phones (on AT&T and T-mo) have a SIM card. The CDMA phones using Verizon don't have a SIM card.

Feedback Score
    The Samsung R455 Tracfone is a "C" model, so in Verizon service without a SIM card. Most new Tracfone models are set up for Verizon, so a transfer should be easy.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Feedback Score
    From another reply it looks as though the R455 has been on Verizon and I don’t think there had ever been issues with coverage. Thanks for the input.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G6, Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I agree with Loboheeler. My first TracFone was the Samsung R455c, and it did indeed run on Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. So of course it will be a matter of how the transfer goes. Any thoughts on the LG Solo phone bundle? For $59.99, that is what I was going to pay for her 1 year service card anyway.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. So of course it will be a matter of how the transfer goes. Any thoughts on the LG Solo phone bundle? For $59.99, that is what I was going to pay for her 1 year service card anyway.
    I bought the Solo bundle earlier this year and liked the phone. Of course tastes differ but it was a nice phone by my standards. So is the Moto e5 bundle for 49.99 and e6 for 59.99. But the e6 is 5.5" and the Solo is 5.7" just a bit bigger. 16gb/2gb memory is fine for my app needs, that with a microSD card for file & photos storage. If their needs are fairly basic in a smartphone i don't see why they wouldn't like it. The case the Solo came with is hard plastic, I prefer flexible cases but they shouldn't be hard to find on eBay.

The next phone I wanted to try was a Moto g7 Optimo with 5.7" screen and 32gb/2gb memory but never got round to it. That one is quite a bit up from the Solo in price. I changed my mind about getting a locked one. Would rather have an unlocked one.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input. I think it’s a lot of product for the money, especially upgrading from a feature phone.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I bought the Solo bundle earlier this year and liked the phone. Of course tastes differ but it was a nice phone by my standards. So is the Moto e5 bundle for 49.99 and e6 for 59.99. But the e6 is 5.5" and the Solo is 5.7" just a bit bigger. 16gb/2gb memory is fine for my app needs, that with a microSD card for file & photos storage. If their needs are fairly basic in a smartphone i don't see why they wouldn't like it. The case the Solo came with is hard plastic, I prefer flexible cases but they shouldn't be hard to find on eBay.

The next phone I wanted to try was a Moto g7 Optimo with 5.7" screen and 32gb/2gb memory but never got round to it. That one is quite a bit up from the Solo in price. I changed my mind about getting a locked one. Would rather have an unlocked one.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Here's the home screen of my Solo set up with frog wallpaper. It's a nice bright display. 5.7" is a good size. Not real wide, unlike the LG Stylo or Fiesta models. I have the Microsoft SwiftKey keyboard installed from Google Play Store but the LG keyboard or Gboard is fine. I like the Swiftkey custom options. Name:  Capture%2B_SoloScreen.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  46.5 KB

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Here's the Solo with a notepad I got from Google Play and showing the Microsoft SwiftKey keypad I also installed from Google Play. There are a lot of keypad choices with Swiftkey but this is the Sky keypad with direction arrows. It's clear & easy to use. Name:  Capture%2B_Solo%20Swiftkey%202.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  45.2 KB

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast