Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does VZW Have Native None LTE 4G?

Feedback Score

Does VZW Have Native None LTE 4G?

Does VZW still have any native non LTE 4G areas? Not 3G. If yes, how do you see it on a map? Thank you.
    Last edited by 74ncpu; 09-01-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 74ncpu View Post
    Does VZW still have any native non LTE 4G areas? If yes, how do you see it on a map? Thank you.
    Likely not. Their whole coverage is likely LTE. Any 3G left is likely in areas that the towers have LTE but the signal is to weak and vzw will have to densify those areas for better LTE

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Any 3G left is likely in areas that the towers have LTE but the signal is to weak and vzw will have to densify those areas for better LTE
    My phone drops back to 3G, whenever I enter my local Home Depot. Its been that way for years, and I doubt VZW has any plans to fix it.

There are many other places in my area like that too. Since day-1, 4G/LTE coverage has been "swiss cheese" like. And again, no attempt by VZW to fix it.

Feedback Score
    Only roaming, in places like West Virginia.

But their native coverage I think is entirely LTE.

Feedback Score
    Wait so 4G LTE is slower than just 4G? I've always thought it was the other way around. I seem to remember seeing the 4G icon first in my area and then later it changed to 4G LTE.

Feedback Score
    4G and LTE are the same thing.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Wait so 4G LTE is slower than just 4G? I've always thought it was the other way around. I seem to remember seeing the 4G icon first in my area and then later it changed to 4G LTE.
    Huh? Verizon never deployed '4G' like AT&T and T-Mobile. You either see 3G or 4G LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    My phone drops back to 3G, whenever I enter my local Home Depot. Its been that way for years, and I doubt VZW has any plans to fix it.

There are many other places in my area like that too. Since day-1, 4G/LTE coverage has been "swiss cheese" like. And again, no attempt by VZW to fix it.
    They will have to or you will lose service after this year when 3G is shutdown

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

Where do you live? I haven't really seen my phone on anything OTHER than LTE for around 3 years with one exception - I've occasionally seen 3G when I'm in an underground parking garage.

You're not going to have coverage with Verizon come January 1, 2021 when they shut down their CDMA network if you can't get an LTE signal where you live. Might be time to start looking for a new carrier!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcspidey4 View Post
    4G and LTE are the same thing.
    I was always told they were different.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Huh? Verizon never deployed '4G' like AT&T and T-Mobile. You either see 3G or 4G LTE.
    I could swear when my area first got 4G the phone just said 4G but then later changed to 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    AT&T and T-Mobile have HSPA+, which they advertise as "4G" but is really 3G.

Verizon only has 1x (2G), EVDO (3G), and LTE (4G).

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Where do you live? I haven't really seen my phone on anything OTHER than LTE for around 3 years with one exception - I've occasionally seen 3G when I'm in an underground parking garage.

You're not going to have coverage with Verizon come January 1, 2021 when they shut down their CDMA network if you can't get an LTE signal where you live. Might be time to start looking for a new carrier!
    I am in one of the flag ship 4G/LTE areas. Verizon even invited me to a celebration luncheon the first day they turned it on.

It will be 100% Verizon's fault for turning off their required backup system, before they have the basic of problems with their 4G LTE system worked out. I guess Verizon's plan is to ask me to call their CS reps when I loose signal.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Regarding phones dropping back to 3G... my (very old) Samsung Stratosphere would drop to 3G pretty frequently, but it was an early 4G phone that had a 2G/3G main chip with a 4G radio tacked on, this phone had very poor 4G reception compared to any later phone I've had.

Other than that I've seen 3 causes of this. First to note, the way signals strengths are measured with CDMA/EVDO versus LTE, there's about a 12 point difference in signal strength; minimum on 1x/3G was about -113dbm while the minimum on LTE is about -125dbm (LTE gets pretty sketchy below -120dbm, similar to how 1x/3g would get sketchy with something like a -110dbm signal).

1st cause, I've been to areas where the band 13 was set to roll off to 3G when the 4G signal hit about -110dbm for some reason; maybe the reasoning then was to just force all fringe usage onto 3G? If you can force 4G only in these cases you'll probably find you don't lose 4G service. In these areas, don't worry, you've got about 15dbm of signal margin left there on 4G when 3G is gone.

2nd cause, load control -- in the past I saw a few times where the 4G would get utterly jacked up, if I started seeing like sub-1mbps 4G speeds, I'd see my phone sometimes get forced down to very slightly faster 3G. But, this was being done back when there was band 13+4 LTE here, so probably all of band 5 was still running virtually-empty 1x/EVDO; this spectrum will now be running LTE, getting many more bits/hz than it was with EVDO, so losing 3G service in this case doesn't lose anything at all, that extra 3G capacity is now available by moving the phone to band 5 LTE. This isn't what you're seeing in the store but just mentioned for completeness.

3rd -- maybe there's a 3G network extender in there? I've seen a case or two where I had 4G service, not very strong but it was there; but presumably the network is set to kick you down to 3G if the 3G is like 30 or 40dbm stronger . I suppose there's 3 possibilities here.. 1) The extenders keep working after Jan. 1, 2021 2) It shuts down but you have 4G service. 3) There really is no signal in there after it's shut down and there's no service (... or they get a 4G extender instead.)

Edit:
    Regarding original question, AT&T and T-Mobile's UMTS 3G started at 384kbps (briefly), then HSPA/HSPA+ ran at 1.8mbps, 3.6mbps, 7.2, 14.4, 21mbps, AT&T and IWireless both has various HSPA+ 3G they marketed as 4G.

Verizon's full path was
    *Analog (1G)
    *CDMA (early 2G) (14.4kbps "CSD" circuit switched data, voice, sms). I think upgrading this to 1x may have just been a software update.
    *CDMA 1x (2G) (144kbps data, it's actually just 0-10 14.4kbps data 'channels' bonded together as needed, voice, sms). EVDO (3G) does not support voice so all voice traffic was on 1x until VoLTE. As I recall VZW said "back in the day" to expect 60-80kbps speeds on this (I'd see 60-100kbps typically.)

*EVDO (3G), originally 144kbps up, 2.4mbps down (rev 0), then (rev A) 1.8mbp up, 3.1mbps down, 1.25mhz. VZW said to expect about 600kbps on this (I originally would see peaks of exactly 1.5mbps, these sites I guess would originally have 1 voice T1 and 1 T1 for data.) Pretty much, this was completely CDMA 1x-based, with timeslots on top of it, during a timeslot it used the *entire* set of 14.4kbps data 'channels' to send data to one device.

*LTE (4G). VZW originally advertised 6-12mbps speeds on this.
    Last edited by hwertz; 09-01-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcspidey4 View Post
    AT&T and T-Mobile have HSPA+, which they advertise as "4G" but is really 3G.

Verizon only has 1x (2G), EVDO (3G), and LTE (4G).
    so this doesn't apply to VZW? So VZW never got real 4G? signalbooster.com/blogs/news/the-difference-between-4g-and-lte

Feedback Score
    so this doesn't apply to VZW? So VZW never got real 4G? signalbooster.com/blogs/news/the-difference-between-4g-and-lte
    Yes vzw was the one with real 4G. Real 4G is LTE. Where tmo and att put a 4G icon on their 3G network

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast