Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Does VZW Have Native None LTE 4G?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Personally I feel ATT & T-Mobile welcomed the ITU’s guidance .

If memory serves me well neither WiMAX or Verizon’s first iteration of LTE met the original technical standards of what 4G was supposed to be like.

Guidance was changed and all three became widely considered “4G,” technologies for better or worse.

I’m neither condoning or disapproving the ITU’s actions just reiterating history as I remember.

Keep In mind that a lot of players were competing for their technology to be considered the gold standard for 4G. A 10x10 wide LTE channel over Band 13 was not the only contender.
    No one decided what 4G was supposed to be like. The ITU can declare whatever they want, but no one listens to them. They have no bearing on anything. 3GPP is the group that sets the standards, not the ITU.

"4G" doesn't refer to a specific speed, it refers to the network technology: LTE.

Just like "5G" doesn't mean you're going to get a specific speed. It only refers to NR, the network technology.

There will be slow 5G (T-Mobile's n71 or AT&T's n5) and fast 5G (mmWave), but it's all still real 5G NR.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Keep In mind that a lot of players were competing for their technology to be considered the gold standard for 4G. A 10x10 wide LTE channel over Band 13 was not the only contender.
    Yup, the wimax was probably the biggest other contender; wimax and LTE used very similar technologies in terms of actual radio technologies. In effect, IEEE developed wimax to use for wireless internet service providers, while 3GPP developed LTE as an upgrade path for 2G/3G services (initial LTE did not have VoLTE, but it was planned to have something like that from the start.) The economics simply went in favor of wireless ISP gear using LTE but not the telecom-specific bits, over further developing both wimax and LTE specs and two lines of chips etc.

Feedback Score
    And then you had 3GPP2 (the group that developed CDMA, led by Qualcomm) trying to promote UMB (EVDO Rev. C) as their 4G standard, but of course no one wanted that, and 3GPP2 and CDMA died in 2008.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    I was on 3G today. Western Va/Roanoke area. They have no plans on improving the coverage here even though pretty much everyone in the area uses Verizon. In fact I live just several minutes away from the busiest Verizon tower in Va, or at least thats what verizon said. I have not seen any Verizon upgrades or changes in any area around me in YEARS. Which is odd because we were one of the 1st areas to get AWS turned on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3