Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Verizon CBRS auction failure

Feedback Score

Verizon CBRS auction failure

Only buys spectrum in 157 of over 3200 counties. Yet manages to spend more than anyone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Only buys spectrum in 157 of over 3200 counties. Yet manages to spend more than anyone.
    Competitive licenses that’s why . They prob won most major metros

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It does look overall a little disappointing. You can see from the results it looks like they focused very heavily in metro areas.

In my market it looks like they scooped up 4 blocks, and xfinity/Comcast and dish got the other 3 (one got 2 the other got 1)

On a side note I see xfinity/Comcast scooped up a bunch of spectrum. I’m wondering if eventually they are gonna work out some leasing agreement with Verizon or how that will work. I have heard rumors that Comcast wants to put up a partial “thin” cell network in some areas to reduce data costs that they pay to Verizon. My market is a pretty big xfinity mobile market.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    It does look overall a little disappointing. You can see from the results it looks like they focused very heavily in metro areas.

In my market it looks like they scooped up 4 blocks, and xfinity/Comcast and dish got the other 3 (one got 2 the other got 1)

On a side note I see xfinity/Comcast scooped up a bunch of spectrum. I’m wondering if eventually they are gonna work out some leasing agreement with Verizon or how that will work. I have heard rumors that Comcast wants to put up a partial “thin” cell network in some areas to reduce data costs that they pay to Verizon. My market is a pretty big xfinity mobile market.
    I doubt the lease to Verizon unless they get a much better price on the data cost. Otherwise they'll use the spectrum to offload data

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    My area sold all 7 blocks with 4 bidders only 3 won licenses. Seems pretty competitive to me. Verizon was supposes to scoop up 40 MHz nationwide

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    They needed some in most of the small cities across northern lower Michigan where 10 MHz is the widest channel size they have on any band. Agri-Valley got most of it at a fairly *cheap* price. Definitely disappointing to say the least.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    They needed some in most of the small cities across northern lower Michigan where 10 MHz is the widest channel size they have on any band. Agri-Valley got most of it at a fairly *cheap* price. Definitely disappointing to say the least.
    Meanwhile T-Mobile Fires Up 2.5GHz 5G in 80 Cities https://www.droid-life.com/2020/09/0...ly-a-big-deal/

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I doubt the lease to Verizon unless they get a much better price on the data cost. Otherwise they'll use the spectrum to offload data
    Well I’m not sure which situation makes the most sense. I could very easily see xfinity make a better deal on data in exchange to use the additional spectrum.

On a national level I’m assuming the strict power restrictions scared them off. If band 48 only reaches about a mile due to its current power restrictions then basically a tower would be needed every 2 miles for coverage. In an urban/metro area that makes sense and is easily done. Most large metros already have that kind of density if not better already. In a rural setting that may not be very economical.

It really difficult to picture a company like xfinity building out that many small cells/towers with 2 - 10 MHz channels. Are they really gonna save that much money compared to what the cost of the build out will be.

That being said xfinity already has a lot of fiber laid here where they have xfinity internet so throwing small cells up on poles where they already have lines/internet service may not be that expensive for them. I could also see xfinity and Verizon go into more of a partnership when it comes to putting up small cells in neighborhoods. Who knows what will happen though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    To a point it makes sense. Spend the money in markets where it’s already dense enough to add CBRS equipment to towers and make the most use out of it.

It looks as if Verizon is just looking to use CBRS in major markets only as a way to ease congestion. That will leave them forced to bet big on c-band for their mid band 5G coverage.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon needed the added spectrum in metro areas where congestion may be an issue - this solves that in the short term. I'm betting in metro areas they got their 40mhz. They probably already have a lot of the infrastructure in place so just fire it up well for those who's phones support it. Dish spent half as much but where their licenses are located is not revealed - location, location, location, AT&T was a no show and Tmobile only spent $5.6 million.

I wager they clean up on C-band and spend $30 billion for 200mhz nationwide.

This was a no brainer for cable cos. They just sleeve antennas onto their coax throughout neighborhoods and when you get off wifi you hop onto that till you hit the highway or leave the area.

Feedback Score
    Cable companies launching wireless networks makes no sense. That's going to be a terrible experience with almost nonexistent coverage, and just takes money away from them investing in their wired networks. They need to sell that spectrum to actual wireless companies.

I can't believe that anyone actually finds Xfinity Mobile and these other cable MVNOs to be a good deal. I've never heard someone say "I love Comcast so much, I want to get my cell phone service from them too!"

Even Dish, who is trying to become #4, will end up with a metro-only network. They don't have the money to roll out a nationwide network the size of Verizon or AT&T. Dish says they're going to spend $10 billion over 3 years on their network. Verizon is expected to spend $18 billion just this year, and $20 billion for AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Well I’m not sure which situation makes the most sense. I could very easily see xfinity make a better deal on data in exchange to use the additional spectrum.

On a national level I’m assuming the strict power restrictions scared them off. If band 48 only reaches about a mile due to its current power restrictions then basically a tower would be needed every 2 miles for coverage.
    weirdly my area had one Verizon tower the center of town until this year. Then Verizon cut up TWO towers both about 2 miles from the tower in town and has approval for a 3rd yet to be constructed tower also 2 miles away. Basically SE SW and N. The very situation you bring up yet no CBRS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I wager they clean up on C-band and spend $30 billion for 200mhz nationwide.
    Most of which can't be used until Dec 2023. They were SUPPOSED to wave nationwide CBRS but that didn't happen. So I have little faith in Verizon actually buying any C-band in my area. Any excitement i have for that auction is now gone. Even if hey do get some in my area it will be 3 years before it gets here. Getting close to time to move on. Verizon give zero f--ks about anyone outside the big markets. Verizon has too much hubris they need massive customer defections. I think I'll help that along soon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    weirdly my area had one Verizon tower the center of town until this year. Then Verizon cut up TWO towers both about 2 miles from the tower in town and has approval for a 3rd yet to be constructed tower also 2 miles away. Basically SE SW and N. The very situation you bring up yet no CBRS.
    Also that just means they didn’t buy a CBRS PAL. Their is still nothing stoping them from throwing CBRS equipment and using the 150 MHz of GAA CBRS spectrum. They just have to share with anyone else using it. Maybe Verizon is just betting that their won’t be much demand in your area for CBRS use so rather than pay for the spectrum they can just use it for free.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    How many in nyc?

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast