Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Verizon CBRS auction failure

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    The difference is the uplink in AWS is at 1700 MHz and the downlink is at 2100 MHz. That's a pretty wide difference in uplink range, nearly 1 GHz if you look at the top end of BRS at 2690 MHz.
    BRS is TDD not FDD so T-Mobile doesn't have to BRS for uplink. It could use bands 2, 66 or even 12 or 71 if it wanted to. And if it wanted to use BRS it would just us the lower end which starts at 2496 MHz for that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Which is exactly why you need CBRS
    But Verizon got very little CBRS.

They're expected to get more C-Band later this year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcspidey4 View Post
    But Verizon got very little CBRS.
    Hence the title of my thread

They're expected to get more C-Band later this year.
    Only the top 50 markets will have any C-Band spectrum available to use before Dec 2023. And the top 50 markets is where Verizon blew it's CBRS auction wad

Feedback Score
    Only the top 50 markets will have any C-Band spectrum available to use before Dec 2023. And the top 50 markets is where Verizon blew it's CBRS auction wad
    Neither C-Band or CBRS are useful for rural areas. Limiting their purchases to metro areas makes perfect sense.

There's nothing preventing them from using both CBRS and C-Band in the same markets. Especially since they can be aggregated together.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Neither C-Band or CBRS are useful for rural areas. Limiting their purchases to metro areas makes perfect sense.
    CBRS might be useful in some rural areas; in rural markets here, some counties have a few cell sites up on some hill tops, CBRS would probably not reach anyone. Others, the sites are in the couple small towns, CBRS probably would have almost 100% POPs coverage. These areas are not high-population, but each site covers a large area, moving traffic off other bands onto CBRS would indeed be useful. It might be just the ticket for selling "4G home broadband" type of service more widely. But, they're also highly likely to have open GAA and PAL channels (PAL 10mhz channel isn't reserved unless the PAL license holder is actually using it there), so it still makes sense to not spend cash on it.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hpue at 28dbm limit will help a bit. Also, the upload carrier aggregation they are improving with NR will help immensely. Can be on mid band download and upload on low band.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Verizon CBRS auction failure

Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    CBRS might be useful in some rural areas; in rural markets here, some counties have a few cell sites up on some hill tops, CBRS would probably not reach anyone. Others, the sites are in the couple small towns, CBRS probably would have almost 100% POPs coverage. These areas are not high-population, but each site covers a large area, moving traffic off other bands onto CBRS would indeed be useful. It might be just the ticket for selling "4G home broadband" type of service more widely. But, they're also highly likely to have open GAA and PAL channels (PAL 10mhz channel isn't reserved unless the PAL license holder is actually using it there), so it still makes sense to not spend cash on it.
    Isn’t it best to own the mid band market coverage. From what I’ve read you’ll have better overall coverage but not super lightning fast speeds but a more consistent network. I think Europe is adopting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    To have a good network, you need low-band (below 1GHz), mid-band (1-6GHz), and high-band (above 6GHz).

It's difficult to have a good, nationwide network without all 3. Verizon is seeing this now by only using mmWave for 5G.

European providers who only use 3.5GHz will similarly find that indoor coverage will be poor. They'll eventually need to launch 800-900MHz on 5G also for better indoor and rural coverage. They could use DSS for that if they wanted.

Verizon also has plans to launch low-band 5G using DSS at some point.

Trying to cover an entire country with only mid or high-band wouldn't work.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Comcast sucked up a bunch of CBRS what counties did they get.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcspidey4 View Post
    Yet other companies thought otherwise. It's fine. It goes over 1 mile even 2. Hell they just had mmwave got 2.3 miles. As I said I may live in a rural county but I live in the county seat and a 1 mile radius from the tower in town covers over 90% of the population and well over 90% of the businesses of said town which is nearly 4000. So spare me "it's not useful". Got to love the HAVES telling the HAVE NOTS why they don't deserve to have what they have. Seriously anyone with that attitude can GFY.

Feedback Score
    Yet other companies thought otherwise. It's fine. It goes over 1 mile even 2. Hell they just had mmwave got 2.3 miles. As I said I may live in a rural county but I live in the county seat and a 1 mile radius from the tower in town covers over 90% of the population and well over 90% of the businesses of said town which is nearly 4000. So spare me "it's not useful"
    Honestly you don't need more spectrum for 4,000 really, adding another tower would probably be the most useful thing. Spread out the load a bit

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    Comcast sucked up a bunch of CBRS what counties did they get.
    You seriously expect someone to list them here? Tell me the county your interested an I'll tell you who bought what there

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwtgt View Post
    Honestly you don't need more spectrum for 4,000 really, adding another tower would probably be the most useful thing. Spread out the load a bit

Don't tell me what I need and don't need. Did you miss that part where I said what the HAVES can do when they try to tell the HAVE NOTS what they should nd shouldn't have? If Verizon has your attitude they will be a distant 3rd in 10 years

Feedback Score
    Don't tell me what I need and don't need. Did you miss that part where I said what the HAVES can do when they try to tell the HAVE NOTS what they should nd shouldn't have? If Verizon has your attitude they will be a distant 3rd in 10 years
    just a thought no need to be so aggressive, you're more then welcome to leave Verizon at anytime. Verizon is literally adding density to the network to help alleviate congestion and making using of the PAL they got and GAA of CBRS to add capacity.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    It looks like Verizon didn't bid in Reno/Washoe County, but got 3 PALs in Las Vegas/Clark County. In Reno/Washoe Spectrum got 4 PALs and Dish got 2. https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/p...lts_by_license

Something tells me Dish will sit on the licenses and do nothing, or sell to Verizon.
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast