Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: POTS holdovers in the modern, online, cashback site world

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    106
    Feedback Score
    0

    POTS holdovers in the modern, online, cashback site world

    I have no idea if this thread will draw any attention. I'm a long-time cell phone hobbyist and online shopping enthusiast. I saved many thousands of dollars since Google Voice came out and I was able to change providers freely. My family was not up for that, so I left them on a Cricket family plan at a reasonable "unlimited" price - less than one dollar per person, per day.

    I recently changed strategies due to extraordinary offers once cashback sites could refer me to already-compelling online deals.

    I went through an absurd experience where I got credit for cashback after visiting sites - only to have ATT cancel ten consecutive orders - voiding the cashback.

    So, I switched to Verizon. The same cashback site (BeFrugal.com) sent me over to the Verizon site but refused to credit the cashback from the visit. I felt upset enough to cancel the order. Verizon fulfilled the canceled order anyway (which was a complete hot mess). I eventually cancelled and re-ordered - only to get screwed on the cashback a second consecutive time. I was informed after "investigation" that they have no intention of paying me but I don't know how to hold the two parties accountable.

    The FCC has not updated their specific transgressions in over twenty years. They still list cramming and slamming as offenses under their regulatory purview.

    Folks who complained to BBB about BeFrugal were clearly just wasting their time.

    Can I sue them in small claims court? I have screen shots to prove I did everything correctly on both orders.

    TLDR; So absurd to see failures in online shopping this far into the Information Age: ATT credits the cashback almost instantly only to cancel legitimate orders as "fraud." Verizon fulfills the online order even if it is cancelled but refuses to cooperate with the cashback company.

    In my State, bait and switch is illegal and found only among unethical car dealers. These dinosaur companies may not know it, but they are engaging in bait and switch enticements when they allow cashback sites to entice customers and then change the deal or cancel it after the fact.

    Thanks for letting me vent!

    Dan
    Last edited by saverdan; 09-02-2020 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typographical error in title

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,054
    Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I guess I don't understand why Verizon (or anyone) has any legal responsibility for any POTS service offers made by 3rd parties like BeFrugal.com.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,046
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sounds like a full-time job or self-flagellation.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    2,302
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Sounds like a full-time job or self-flagellation.
    We have a saying where I come from. The stingy pay twice.

    Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    106
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    We have a saying where I come from. The stingy pay twice.

    Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    I'm surprised to get feedback so many weeks after I had to make my decision.

    I am far from "stingy" overall - my rant must have sounded too much like a "whine."

    It is a fact that AT&T offered a loss-leader deal for a cell phone package and then reneged. I contacted FCC on the grounds that bait and switch is illegal in every State and usually associated with car dealers. The deemed my complaint "informal" - since the only formal complaints on their books involve cramming and slamming which are ancient history now that millions have abandoned POTS.

    I moved on to a cellular offer from Verizon that was also a "loss leader." After the unpleasantness with AT&T I was only willing to move phone numbers if they followed through with their cashback offer from the third-party site. They failed to come through and I knew FCC would give me no recourse.

    I don't force these big companies to sign off on loser deals in the name of "customer acquisition costs." If they put the offers in writing they need to honor those offers or they are just a bunch of sleazebags.

    I will give T-Mobile a try early next year. They have nice offers with fewer gimmicks that ATT or VZ. I'm glad there are resellers out there - always a fair deal and far fewer headaches over time.

    Dan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,555
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by saverdan View Post
    I'm surprised to get feedback so many weeks after I had to make my decision.

    I am far from "stingy" overall - my rant must have sounded too much like a "whine."

    It is a fact that AT&T offered a loss-leader deal for a cell phone package and then reneged. I contacted FCC on the grounds that bait and switch is illegal in every State and usually associated with car dealers. The deemed my complaint "informal" - since the only formal complaints on their books involve cramming and slamming which are ancient history now that millions have abandoned POTS.

    I moved on to a cellular offer from Verizon that was also a "loss leader." After the unpleasantness with AT&T I was only willing to move phone numbers if they followed through with their cashback offer from the third-party site. They failed to come through and I knew FCC would give me no recourse.

    I don't force these big companies to sign off on loser deals in the name of "customer acquisition costs." If they put the offers in writing they need to honor those offers or they are just a bunch of sleazebags.

    I will give T-Mobile a try early next year. They have nice offers with fewer gimmicks that ATT or VZ. I'm glad there are resellers out there - always a fair deal and far fewer headaches over time.

    Dan
    I got burned by BeFrugal a few years ago.

    I don't even remember what phone it was that they enticed me into buying.

    But I do remember how much BS they told me as to why I wasn't getting the cash back.

    I didn't pay more than the phone was worth and the cash back would have been icing on the cake so I chalked it up to lesson learned.


    Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,046
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've quit a number of CB sites because I got cheated.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,555
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I've quit a number of CB sites because I got cheated.
    Yea I just use TopCashBack and Rakuten now.

    And I actually generally forget to use them lately since I don't really order much stuff anymore.


    Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Similar Threads

  1. The Modern Day Verizon Site
    By Trocks797 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2015, 11:44 AM
  2. XDA IIs now available in the O2 online shop
    By Yoonoo in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 10:03 AM
  3. How long does pot stay in the body?
    By WDEngineer in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 06:16 PM
  4. Bell Bell Mobility sites in the 604/778... FINALLY online?
    By ehinthe604 in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2002, 11:06 AM
  5. Bell When the hell is Bell going online in the West?
    By Vindicator in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-12-2002, 08:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks