Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: T-Mobile Settlement to provide broadband access to Colorado K-12 students

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,022
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    T-Mobile Settlement to provide broadband access to Colorado K-12 students

    http://gazette.com/tncms/asset/edito...4-36526802ab1d

    "A settlement with T-Mobile, tied to its merger with Sprint, could mean high-speed Internet, hotspots and laptops for thousands of Colorado's poorest K-12 students, state officials said Wednesday...

    "...The agreement with T-Mobile requires the carrier to provide internet access to 34,000 low-income student households in Colorado with a free WiFi hotspot and 100 gigabytes of data for free per year. Qualifying households — those whose income levels qualify for free and reduced lunch prices — also will have access to Internet-ready devices, such as tablets or computers, at a significant discount..."

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    830
    Feedback Score
    0
    Bad for people whom honestly paying the bills

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,555
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm wondering what's going to happen with MobileCitizen.org post merger?
    Donald Newcomb

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,960
    Feedback Score
    0
    Intolerance is a bad habit. Only 100GB per month though.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,022
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Intolerance is a bad habit. Only 100GB per month though.
    Worse- 100GB/*year*, or about 8GB/month on average.

    Almost as if this settlement was just window dressing. Colorado's AG gets to pretend they "fought for The People(TM)" and got a valuable concession for allowing the merger, and T-Mo can pretend it gives a damn about anything besides profit. Win-win!



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,540
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I agree that 100GB/year is pitiful, a family could easily use that in a month or so and not realize it. Clearly this move by the AG is just "lipstick on a pig".

    Bad for people whom honestly paying the bills
    IMHO, that is a very selfish comment, especially if you or your family is classified as "low-income". I am certain that some small percentage of abuse may occur, but I suspect that prospective recipients will be closely screened for eligibility.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,022
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Bad for people whom honestly paying the bills

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Really? T-Mo was just handed the keys to the kingdom on a plate by "regulators" who don't care what the impact of mergers are on the marketplace or consumers. Tossing a few gigabytes of data at underprivileged kids as an empty gesture won't hurt T-Mobile or you. You've got other things to worry about, like socialists. I hear they're everywhere these days...



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    830
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Really? T-Mo was just handed the keys to the kingdom on a plate by "regulators" who don't care what the impact of mergers are on the marketplace or consumers. Tossing a few gigabytes of data at underprivileged kids as an empty gesture won't hurt T-Mobile or you. You've got other things to worry about, like socialists. I hear they're everywhere these days...



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    That was an idiot idea.
    Why give them free access ? But we are paying the bill.
    It hurts honest people, I am sick on this.


    Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,555
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    .....It hurts honest people, I am sick on this.
    Tell it to your Congressman. ITMT, it's the way the game is played.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    830
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Tell it to your Congressman. ITMT, it's the way the game is played.
    "This is just way the game is played"
    I agree .

    Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,540
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I suggest if anyone wants to turn this into political debate to start a new thread in the "Lounge" instead of doing it in the general forum. Fortunately this forum hasn't gotten derailed. Just saying......

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,278
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Worse- 100GB/*year*, or about 8GB/month on average.

    Almost as if this settlement was just window dressing. Colorado's AG gets to pretend they "fought for The People(TM)" and got a valuable concession for allowing the merger, and T-Mo can pretend it gives a damn about anything besides profit. Win-win!
    T-Mobile doesn't owe free service to anyone. So anything they're donating is more than they are required. They could have technically fought the Colorado AG just like they fought the NY AG in court and not given anything.

    You're right, they are a for-profit entity. And they have a responsibility to their shareholders to be profitable.

    8GB, if utilized correctly, should be enough to do school work. If it's used to stream Netflix all the time, then sure, the 100 GB could be used up quickly. But that's the choice of those who are being granted the data.

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    IMHO, that is a very selfish comment, especially if you or your family is classified as "low-income".
    How much of someone else's property is one entitled to be given if they are classified as "low income"? Just curious.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,022
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    T-Mobile doesn't owe free service to anyone.

    Sure they do: they *agreed* to it. They choose not to fight in order to expidite the merger, and voluntarily committed themselves to this.




    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    How much of someone else's property is one entitled to be given if they are classified as "low income"? Just curious.
    "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs..."



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,904
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs..."
    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    "All animals are created equal... some are more equal than others"
    I'm not against (to a certain degree) the government regulators requesting some concessions for T-Mobile obtaining Sprint in their state. I.e. promise to build out, a short term 'feel good' social program to help schools/students/low income.
    In the same manner, I don't think that giving away an 'unlimited data package' is a good plan. This is a middle ground. 8GB/month isn't bad. It won't give 24x7 Zoom/Netflix. It will allow people to typically get done what's needed. Spectrum, AT&T and others typically offer 'discounted' Internet services for those that qualify for low income. This is actually 1 step further with 'free'.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,278
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Sure they do: they *agreed* to it. They choose not to fight in order to expidite the merger, and voluntarily committed themselves to this.

    Yes, "voluntarily committed".

    By the tone of your statement, your position seemed to be a complaint that the amount of the data they gave wasn't more:

    "Worse- 100GB/*year*, or about 8GB/month on average.

    Almost as if this settlement was just window dressing. Colorado's AG gets to pretend they "fought for The People(TM)" and got a valuable concession for allowing the merger, and T-Mo can pretend it gives a damn about anything besides profit. "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. T-Mobile Hotspot gives you free access to AT&T and Wayport
    By mattptodd in forum HotSpot / HotSpot Calling / @ Home
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 10:31 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 11:38 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM
  4. E815 provider blocked access to directory?
    By Unknownhaven in forum Motorola Modding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2006, 11:49 AM
  5. j210i with T-Mobile To Go - no access to WAP?
    By kslater in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 02:06 PM

Bookmarks