Thread: Will iPhone-12 include CDMA?

Feedback Score

Will iPhone-12 include CDMA?

I am wondering if the iPhone 12 will include CDMA and if there will be multiple versions of the phone for different carriers. Also will the iPhone 12 have a Qualcomm or Intel chipset?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I am wondering if the iPhone 12 will include CDMA and if there will be multiple versions of the phone for different carriers. Also will the iPhone 12 have a Qualcomm or Intel chipset?
    Qualcomm. Intel scrapped their 5G modem development and Apple acquired the intellectual property from Intel so that they could develop their own modems in-house and move away from Qualcomm (probably not until 2022 or so).

I don’t see why the new iPhone wouldn’t support CDMA for carriers that use it. The Qualcomm modems support CDMA. Sure, Verizon is retiring CDMA soon, but what if the retirement date gets pushed back again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yes. Even though Verizon is shutting down CDMA, Sprint and regional carriers (US Cellular, C-Spire, etc.) still use it, and they sell iPhones too.

Other carriers worldwide are still using CDMA also.

Qualcomm modems still support CDMA.

According to the settlement documents, this year's iPhone will use the Qualcomm X55 modem, 2021 will use the X60, 2022 will use the X65, and 2023 will use the X70 if Apple's own modem isn't ready by then.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Apple will likely have different models for carriers around the world. They do now. A rumor I saw today claims that only the top phone will have mmWave 5G, and in only 3 countries.

I have the iPhone 11 now, so if they don't support this in different models, the improved camera wouldn't be enough in of itself for me to upgrade.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Apple will likely have different models for carriers around the world. They do now.
    No they don't. They stopped doing that after the iPhone X. They used to have a Qualcomm (CDMA) and Intel (GSM) model.

With the XS and 11, it's just been one model (Intel) worldwide.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcspidey4 View Post
    No they don't. They stopped doing that after the iPhone X. They used to have a Qualcomm (CDMA) and Intel (GSM) model.

With the XS and 11, it's just been one model (Intel) worldwide.
    I respectfully disagree. The apple site shows different models for different regions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The apple site shows different models for different regions.
    With the exact same features. Even if they are different model numbers, they have the exact same parts and features. Apple has only used Intel modems with the XR/XS and 11/Pro.

Spot the difference. I can't:

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 7.11.24 PM.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  33.7 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Well, if you go to https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-11
    you will see Model A2111 for use in the US, Canada, etc. It has Bands 14 and 71
    There is Model A2111 for use in many countries. Without those 2 bands.
    There is Model A2223 for use in China. It has those bands. But it also reportedly has support for 2 SIMS instead of a SIM and eSIM.

So, to me, 3 models. But not different like the X where it had one with CDMA support and one without.

Feedback Score
    The differences are very minor, and band support is a software thing, not hardware. Those models do support those LTE bands in hardware. They all use the same modem.

Either way, most people aren't going to buy a European iPhone for use in the US.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yes. Even though Verizon is shutting down CDMA, Sprint and regional carriers (US Cellular, C-Spire, etc.) still use it, and they sell iPhones too.
    Sprint's been bought by T-Mo, who's rapidly moving customers to the T-Mobile network, all new phones being sold by T-Mo are set up for T-Mo, existing Sprint phones are being moved to T-Mobile (some fraction of Sprint users get a code on their account, the phones get a update and prefer T-Mobile service over Sprint instead of Sprint over T-Mobile), and the Sprint-only areas are I'm sure getting LTE+VoLTE sooner rather than later (not at whatever schedule Sprint was going to get around to it.) US Cellular has VoLTE, I've used it a few times. C-Spire has tended to keep their network pretty advanced, it's had VoLTE for a long time apparently.

If whatever Qualcomm chip already has CDMA/EVDO I guess there's no reason not to leave it on; but, there's honestly very little reason to, so I could see it not having it too.

Actually, it's funny, if you pull up the map for "CDMAless device" on VZW, they actually have *more* coverage for them now than for the regular devices. I guess the regular phones are still entirely "CDMA-based" roaming partners (i.e. CDMA/EVDO 2G & 3G) who now have 4G (mostly), whereas the "CDMAless" has both their VoLTE and some VoLTE from "GSM-based" roaming partners (i.e. GSM/HSPA 2G and 3G) 4G networks. I think CDMAless devices may even pick up a bit of coverage from AT&T .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Sprint's been bought by T-Mo, who's rapidly moving customers to the T-Mobile network, all new phones being sold by T-Mo are set up for T-Mo, existing Sprint phones are being moved to T-Mobile (some fraction of Sprint users get a code on their account, the phones get a update and prefer T-Mobile service over Sprint instead of Sprint over T-Mobile), and the Sprint-only areas are I'm sure getting LTE+VoLTE sooner rather than later (not at whatever schedule Sprint was going to get around to it.) US Cellular has VoLTE, I've used it a few times. C-Spire has tended to keep their network pretty advanced, it's had VoLTE for a long time apparently.

If whatever Qualcomm chip already has CDMA/EVDO I guess there's no reason not to leave it on; but, there's honestly very little reason to, so I could see it not having it too.
    Disabling CDMA in software would serve no purpose. The modem supports CDMA, so the phone will too. It also supports GSM and UMTS, even though AT&T has already shut down GSM, and will be shutting down UMTS in 2022.

Like I said, plenty of small regional and international carriers still use CDMA. Even though it's going away on Verizon and Sprint, it's not dead everywhere else yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Actually, it's funny, if you pull up the map for "CDMAless device" on VZW, they actually have *more* coverage for them now than for the regular devices. I guess the regular phones are still entirely "CDMA-based" roaming partners (i.e. CDMA/EVDO 2G & 3G) who now have 4G (mostly), whereas the "CDMAless" has both their VoLTE and some VoLTE from "GSM-based" roaming partners (i.e. GSM/HSPA 2G and 3G) 4G networks. I think CDMAless devices may even pick up a bit of coverage from AT&T .
    Yes, Verizon roams on AT&T in a few areas now, and other regional GSM/UMTS providers. Verizon likes to hide the network name on phones, so it will just show up as "Extended Network".

West Virginia, as an example, is AT&T roaming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcspidey4 View Post
    The differences are very minor, and band support is a software thing, not hardware. Those models do support those LTE bands in hardware. They all use the same modem.

Either way, most people aren't going to buy a European iPhone for use in the US.
    Technically there’s three versions. https://www.pcmag.com/news/beware-th...each-iphone-11
    It is a hardware thing with band support, not software.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMag
    Modem and antenna setup cannot handle all the band options at once. For the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, there are three sets of models. iPhone 11 A2111, 11 Pro A2160, and 11 Pro Max A2161 are the US/Canadian models. iPhone 11 A2221, 11 Pro A2215, and 11 Pro Max A2218 are the world models. iPhone 11 A2223, 11 Pro A2217, and 11 Pro Max A2220 are Chinese models.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMag
    The US models have frequency bands 14 and 71, used by AT&T and T-Mobile. They also have CDMA modems needed for rural voice coverage on Sprint and Verizon's older 2G/3G networks. They do not have LTE bands 11, 21, 28, or 32. Especially in Europe, the US models will get poorer coverage and speeds than the world models will.

Band 28 is a globally popular, low-frequency coverage band used in Australia, Latin America, Europe and Asia. Band 32 is a supplementary speed band used in Europe. Bands 11 and 21 are used exclusively in Japan.

The "rest of world" models, on the other hand, if used in the US, would have limited LTE speed on AT&T (because of band 14) and less rural LTE coverage on T-Mobile (because of band 71). They would also have less rural voice coverage on Sprint and Verizon, because the "rest of world" models lack the CDMA modems that Sprint and Verizon's older 2G/3G networks use. (You can tell this by flipping between the US and UK product pages.)

India uses bands 1, 5, 40, and 41, which are on both models, so both models should work in India.

The Chinese models have the same band layout as the US models, but have two physical nano-SIM slots rather than one nano-SIM and one eSIM. From a hardware perspective, they should work in the same countries as the US models. I'm not sure what else may be different about them—Chinese phones also often have special firmware to do things like delete the Taiwanese flag emoji, so they may behave unpredictably if used with a non-Chinese primary SIM card.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Technically there’s three versions. https://www.pcmag.com/news/beware-th...each-iphone-11
    It is a hardware thing with band support, not software.
    It's not. They all use exactly the same modem.

Band support isn't a hardware thing in this case since they all have the same hardware.