Thread: Verizon really screwed me. Any way around this?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Verizon really screwed me. Any way around this?

I ported my number from AT&T Wireless to Verizon Wireless on July 29th. I was able to use the number on Verizon for 30 days with no issue. On August 28th the number stopped working, and any calls to that number were met with a disconnected number message and any text messages were refused. I found out that Verizon started the port process, but didn't fully complete it. On August 28th the port request expired and the number went back to AT&T. Instead of going to AT&T Wireless where it originated, it went to AT&T's old copper landline . I have never had an AT&T landline account and the number was originally issued from Verizon Wireless, and Verizon owns that block of numbers. The number is currently with AT&T landline, and nobody knows how to get it moved over to the wireless side. The number is inactive and there is no account information that I can give to complete the port, and I can't activate the number on my end because I don't have copper at my address, and I don't live in the switch area. I am in the rate center though. Does anyone know how I can get this number back? It is my main business number and I can't lose it. I am losing money and missing important calls.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I suggest that you contact Customer Service and strongly request that they open a Tier II trouble ticket to attempt to retrieve the lost # so that you can complete the port. If you get pushback from the rep, ask to speak with a manager who could push it higher up the chain of command. I wish it was a simple process, but it isn't. Could take 5-7 business days (Monday - Friday, not including Saturday or Sunday) on average and unfortunately there are no guarantees it can be resolved as you want.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I suggest that you contact Customer Service and strongly request that they open a Tier II trouble ticket to attempt to retrieve the lost # so that you can complete the port. If you get pushback from the rep, ask to speak with a manager who could push it higher up the chain of command. I wish it was a simple process, but it isn't. Could take 5-7 business days (Monday - Friday, not including Saturday or Sunday) on average and unfortunately there are no guarantees it can be resolved as you want.
    I filed an FCC and BBB complaint against both companies. I should be getting a call from the AT&T's Office of the President and Verizon's Executive Relations. Hopefully there is a backend way to get the number moved over. I'm trying to move it from AT&T wireline to AT&T wireless. I'm done with Verizon after this screw up. They have the nerve to still try and bill me until September 30th though, even though the line was automatically ported back out on August 28th due to their screw up. Verizon has really gone down the toilet the last 2 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    I filed an FCC and BBB complaint against both companies. I should be getting a call from the AT&T's Office of the President and Verizon's Executive Relations. Hopefully there is a backend way to get the number moved over. I'm trying to move it from AT&T wireline to AT&T wireless. I'm done with Verizon after this screw up. They have the nerve to still try and bill me until September 30th though, even though the line was automatically ported back out on August 28th due to their screw up. Verizon has really gone down the toilet the last 2 years.
    Good move hope it gets worked out soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

Only the last 2 years?

I ditched Verizon proper over 10 years ago because even though I had them ensure international calling was turned off completely for my entire account (and could confirm it in my account), they allowed the other line in the same account to rack up thousands of dollars in calls to Italy and refused to work with me any on it.

Not to mention that the phones barely worked at all in Bellevue, WA - less than a mile from the Microsoft Campus.
    Constantly dropping signal, calls, data. (Lots of missed, lost calls due to the phones not working.)

And of course, I got the "We have the best network, you should be getting the best with us." runaround till I finally got up to a level 3 Tech who straight up admitted that Bellevue is a "known trouble spot and we have no current plans on fixing that."

I had to break down and have the phone beep every time the signal was lost... and it would beep at least once every 5 minutes.
    (I ran away screaming and never looked back, only to end up having to use their network with an MVNO when I moved to rural SC.)
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Only the last 2 years?

I ditched Verizon proper over 10 years ago because even though I had them ensure international calling was turned off completely for my entire account (and could confirm it in my account), they allowed the other line in the same account to rack up thousands of dollars in calls to Italy and refused to work with me any on it.

Not to mention that the phones barely worked at all in Bellevue, WA - less than a mile from the Microsoft Campus.
    Constantly dropping signal, calls, data. (Lots of missed, lost calls due to the phones not working.)

And of course, I got the "We have the best network, you should be getting the best with us." runaround till I finally got up to a level 3 Tech who straight up admitted that Bellevue is a "known trouble spot and we have no current plans on fixing that."

I had to break down and have the phone beep every time the signal was lost... and it would beep at least once every 5 minutes.
    (I ran away screaming and never looked back, only to end up having to use their network with an MVNO when I moved to rural SC.)
    Verizon has always been arrogant and claimed to have the best network. Prior to 2018/2019 they did and they could back it up. Sure, there were areas where they struggled, but for the most part Verizon just worked and you didn't have to think about it. If there was a problem, just call customer service and it was an easy fix. Now, it's not as black and white and very much area dependent. Verizon still has a slight edge in coverage and reliability. AT&T has closed that gap significantly though, and now has coverage in a lot of areas where Verizon doesn't. Where Verizon really struggles is data speeds. They are extremely congested to the point of being unusable in some areas. AT&T is almost always faster than Verizon now. Don't get me started on Verizon's poor customer service, long wait times, endless "digital assistant" loop, the website bugs, getting bounced around, etc. They're just as bad as AT&T now. At least AT&T acknowledges their issues, and they're making an effort to improve. Verizon is in denial.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I hope they get this resolved for you, but I think Verizon bears the majority of blame in this story. They initiated the port request and their inaction got it transferred back to At&t leaving you without the number. At&t will need to work with Verizon to resolve this. Please update us on anything about the status of this "mega-blunder" (I won't say what I am actually thinking of this. Hint, much more colorful expression). Best wishes.

I am not blaming you for any of this and I am not excusing Verizon or At&t in my response to be clear.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I hope they get this resolved for you, but I think Verizon bears the majority of blame in this story. They initiated the port request and their inaction got it transferred back to At&t leaving you without the number. At&t will need to work with Verizon to resolve this. Please update us on anything about the status of this "mega-blunder" (I won't say what I am actually thinking of this. Hint, much more colorful expression). Best wishes.

I am not blaming you for any of this and I am not excusing Verizon or At&t in my response to be clear.
    I agree. It's 100% Verizon's fault. If they had completed the port properly, this would be a non issue.

I had a similar issue earlier this year. I added a line to get the iPhone SE and ported a number over. Instead of putting it on the iPhone line, the rep put it on my Apple Watch line. When they tried to move the numbers to the correct lines, they ran into a switch issue which took 3 weeks to resolve. Then about a month later, the line randomly stopped working because some idiot rep created a port request to bring the number to Verizon even though the number was already on Verizon. It was a mess.

What I'm not understanding is how the number snapped back to AT&T landline. Verizon owns the block of numbers, and the number was ported from AT&T wireless.

My numbers are in the 337-6 and 337-7 blocks.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 5.19.58 PM.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  56.7 KB

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has always been arrogant and claimed to have the best network. Prior to 2018/2019 they did and they could back it up. Sure, there were areas where they struggled, but for the most part Verizon just worked and you didn't have to think about it. If there was a problem, just call customer service and it was an easy fix. Now, it's not as black and white and very much area dependent. Verizon still has a slight edge in coverage and reliability. AT&T has closed that gap significantly though, and now has coverage in a lot of areas where Verizon doesn't. Where Verizon really struggles is data speeds. They are extremely congested to the point of being unusable in some areas. AT&T is almost always faster than Verizon now. Don't get me started on Verizon's poor customer service, long wait times, endless "digital assistant" loop, the website bugs, getting bounced around, etc. They're just as bad as AT&T now. At least AT&T acknowledges their issues, and they're making an effort to improve. Verizon is in denial.
    Prior to 2019? My issues with Verizon was back in 2005 where most of my hometown of Bellevue didn't get any reliable Verizon Signal.
    So I truly believe it has always been true that getting good service has always been area dependent.

(None of my friends had Verizon and were always trying to get me onto T-Mo or ATT back then, which actually did work better in that area. They went so far as to come up with the slogan "Verizon, the only carrier that drops a connection every time you walk behind a tree.")

Also, a call to customer service with VZW never was an easy fix for me. I always got the run around, and I SOLD their devices so I was able to eventually get facts from the tech reps that visited my store.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Prior to 2019? My issues with Verizon was back in 2005 where most of my hometown of Bellevue didn't get any reliable Verizon Signal.
    So I truly believe it has always been true that getting good service has always been area dependent.

(None of my friends had Verizon and were always trying to get me onto T-Mo or ATT back then, which actually did work better in that area. They went so far as to come up with the slogan "Verizon, the only carrier that drops a connection every time you walk behind a tree.")

Also, a call to customer service with VZW never was an easy fix for me. I always got the run around, and I SOLD their devices so I was able to eventually get facts from the tech reps that visited my store.
    Well we definitely had different experiences. I got Verizon in 2005, and had them up until a few days ago. There were times when I looked at other carriers and thought I could do better, but I always came back to big red because everybody else was a lot worse. They were the only one with coverage in a lot of places, and the data was always fast enough to do what I needed to do. I can’t say that any more. I’m a happy AT&T customer now.

You can’t really compare your experience in 2005 to today. That was 15 years ago and technology was totally different.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T's Office of the President was able to get the number back. It's working again.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T's Office of the President was able to get the number back. It's working again.
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear back about the resolution.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That Office is great. Resolved some pretty big issues for me that I discussed in another thread

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk