Thread: Activating a BYOP TMO SIM

Feedback Score

Activating a BYOP TMO SIM

Has anybody succeeded in doing an online activation of a BYOP T-Mobile SIM in the last few weeks?

I tried yesterday and failed. After entering the SIM number, it asked for IMEI; never seen that before, but I seem to recall TMO is requiring VOLTE since early August. Entered the IMEI of an old 3G TMO phone, and it failed, as expected.

Then I tried the IMEI of a factory unlocked Moto E4 (verified with the Mint checker) and it seemed to accept the phone, but popped up a message that there is no coverage in my zip code. I never entered a zip code, and it was the same logged in or not (cookies cleared between sessions in Firefox). Same behaviour not logged in using Edge.

I assumed this was a bug in new IMEI code for TMO, but it's hard to imagine nobody else has activated on TMO in a month. Or perhaps I'm making some silly mistake. Has anyone made it work?

I tried both the old and the new Android apps this morning, and it seemed they were going to work, although I didn't complete the transaction.

Feedback Score
    How do you activate without entering a zip code?

If you said activate keeping my phone number, the system would assume the zip code associated with that phone number.
    Tracfone rewards referral code LVNO-CB72 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.
    Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Feedback Score
    That's my point, perhaps not clear: it never prompts for a zip code, just errors out. I can't find a way past the error.