Thread: Las Cruces NM gets 5G but a big city like Albuquerque doesn't?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question Las Cruces NM gets 5G but a big city like Albuquerque doesn't?

Why would AT&T give 5G to a place like Las Cruces, way down south by El Paso, and not provide it in a place like Albuquerque or Santa Fe? Many towns to the east of Albuquerque on I-40 also get 5G. I don't understand.

Name:  Annotation 2020-09-07 150609.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  46.0 KB
    I love LTE!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X🅂, Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk214 View Post
    Why would AT&T give 5G to a place like Las Cruces, way down south by El Paso, and not provide it in a place like Albuquerque or Santa Fe? Many towns to the east of Albuquerque on I-40 also get 5G. I don't understand.

Sites in some areas are ready before others.

It’s like AT&T launching 5G in random parts of rural Northern Oklahoma, but not in Oklahoma City.
    - Bentley

AT&T 5G+, Oklahoma City

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Sites in some areas are ready before others.

It’s like AT&T launching 5G in random parts of rural Northern Oklahoma, but not in Oklahoma City.
    What constitutes a site being ready? AT&T has an excellent network in Albuquerque.

Feedback Score
    What constitutes a site being ready? AT&T has an excellent network in Albuquerque.
    From what I've heard from their engineers, it could be something as simple as tower climbers that haven't been scheduled in certain areas yet due to availability. Situations like that can bring out builds in certain areas that make zero sense while it seems like other areas are being neglected

A little off topic but when I see las cruces, sadly I always think about the bowling alley.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    5G-NR ready equipment is required. It’s not just about it the network is good or not.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does AT&T have band 5 in Albuquerque? They might have the 5G equipment installed and ready to go, but may be waiting on DSS to go live on band 2 before they will turn up 5G NR.

The same thing is happening in Ohio. Rural areas in places like Holmes, Wayne, and Ross counties (literally farmland and Amish country) have 5G NR turned up on band 5. But larger cities like Cleveland and Toledo do not yet have 5G -- even though the equipment appears to be there based on the "5Ge" moniker being enabled -- because AT&T doesn't have a band 5 license in those areas.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Las Cruces NM gets 5G but a big city like Albuquerque doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post
    Does AT&T have band 5 in Albuquerque? They might have the 5G equipment installed and ready to go, but may be waiting on DSS to go live on band 2 before they will turn up 5G NR.

The same thing is happening in Ohio. Rural areas in places like Holmes, Wayne, and Ross counties (literally farmland and Amish country) have 5G NR turned up on band 5. But larger cities like Cleveland and Toledo do not yet have 5G -- even though the equipment appears to be there based on the "5Ge" moniker being enabled -- because AT&T doesn't have a band 5 license in those areas.
    I hadn’t thought to even check. AT&T does not hold any CLR/850MHz licenses in the Albuquerque area, per the FCC.

They will have to wait for deployment of n2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4XL, Moto X4, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    I’m giving it a year or two before seriously thinking about 5G. It will get there but it’s going to be a while.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I assume in some cases, it's also going to be based on exactly how new the hardware is; old enough? No 5G without a tower visit. New enough? Some of the 4G equipment within last 4 or 5 years with software defined radios and such is software upgradable to 5G, so it'd be a matter of updating the software if it's not up to date, and fiddling with some software settings to turn off 5mhz of LTE or whatever's on band 5, and turn the 5mhz of n5 on.

Feedback Score

pretty easy. at&t is doing lowband 5G over 850 MHz( band 5 ) At&t doesn't own any band 5 in Albuquerque. Verizon owns both blocks