Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The 5G lie: The network of the future is still slow

Feedback Score

The 5G lie: The network of the future is still slow

We speed tested 5G phones against 4G ones. America’s new nationwide 5G networks weren’t much faster — and in some places they were slower.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...urce=extension

Device(s)
    Moto Z4, Moto Edge 5G, and Moto G Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Magenta Military 4 lines + 2x Plus Up
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by navyson View Post
    We speed tested 5G phones against 4G ones. America’s new nationwide 5G networks weren’t much faster — and in some places they were slower.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...urce=extension
    Do not be surprised the speed on limited bandwidth.
    It's much like LTE on B5, B12, B13, B17, or B71 only

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    On low-band, 5G should be around 20% faster than LTE. The bigger speed increases come from mid-band and high-band, which haven't been widely rolled out yet.

T-Mobile has 20x20MHz of n71 (600MHz) in many areas, which can definitely provide decent speeds on 5G, but their primary 5G band will be n41 (2.5GHz) which they have around 200MHz of. They'll also use mmWave in cities and on DASs.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4XL, Moto X4, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Stay on 4G. When all the sheep buy there new 5G phones, I’m hoping 4G networks speed up with less congestion.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    When all the sheep buy there new 5G phones, I’m hoping 4G networks speed up with less congestion.
    They're going to be moving spectrum away from 4G to 5G over time, so 4G will get slower.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by navyson View Post
    After all of the badmouthing, they link an Open Signal article that shows that 5G speeds were 80% higher than 4G speeds in the United States:

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    After all of the badmouthing, they link an Open Signal article that shows that 5G speeds were 80% higher than 4G speeds in the United States:

In many places, it may very well be. Eg. If I went to LAX, with CA B2/B4/B12 I might hit ~2Mbps in some terminals. Very high congestion on 4G. With very few people on 5G, you will literally have the spectrum all to yourself. Other places... not so much - just an additional chunk of spectrum with NSA. In SA, I might actually have slower speeds (where I currently am), as I get anywhere from ~100-200Mbps typically, and up to 300Mbps in a few others. If I do hit a place like San Simeon - where backhaul is crap, and I get ~0.3Mbps with B2/B4/B71 and -65dBm and literally 'nobody' using it... 5G won't help, as the backhaul is saturated to the point of UMTS 'at best' speeds.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    On low-band, 5G should be around 20% faster than LTE.
    Yeah, but if they are currently running like 5-10x the LTE spectrum... I could easily see (for example) 4G+4G+4G carrier aggregation being faster than like 5mhz of 5G+4G+4G.

Anyway... 5G now is very early in it's deployment. VZW has their mmwave, with extremely limited coverage; AT&T and T-Mo are just launching their low and mid-band 5G, but have very little spectrum lit up on it yet.

4G started out like this to... AT&T and T-Mo were running 21mbps and maybe some 42mbps HSPA+, that could easily keep pace with 5 or 10 mhz of LTE, having 3G on every site but LTE only on some, etc. (Verizon and Sprint didn't have this specific problem, the initial 4G deployments only had to beat 3.1mbps to outrun their maximum 3G speed .)

edit: Also thought it was amusing, I read the article, and while complaining about the 5G speed statistics, their own speed tests they were getting like triple the speeds on 5G versus 4G on both AT&T and T-Mobile in their area (VZW has no mmwave there ).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The problem is also that 5g b71/n71 is only on a handful of sites in many areas.
    If I had a 5g phone and forced to 5g SA, it would probably give me around 5Mbps... As b71 does. Left to 4g, I hit around 100 on b4/b2.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    E.g.. Name:  Capture%2B_2020-09-08-21-38-07.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  18.4 KBName:  Capture%2B_2020-09-08-21-39-16.jpeg
Views: 113
Size:  22.3 KB

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Yeah, but if they are currently running like 5-10x the LTE spectrum... I could easily see (for example) 4G+4G+4G carrier aggregation being faster than like 5mhz of 5G+4G+4G.
    True right now, but they will continue to increase the bandwidth on 5G while they reduce the amount of bandwidth on 4G.

The 5G + 4G aggregation only happens with NSA 5G. With SA, you're only on 5G, no LTE aggregation.

T-Mobile will have up to 20x20MHz of n71 + 100MHz of n41 + mmWave in cities. Even if the rest of their spectrum is on LTE, that's still far faster than LTE is capable of.

It won't happen overnight. But they plan to have n41 pretty widely rolled out by the end of next year.

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This article actually doesn't surprise me all that much.

T-Mobile admits low band may only have marginal speed increases compared to LTE Advanced. The main improvement will be with lower latency.
    The real speed increases will happen with mid-band and mmWave for sure, but the trade off there is those bands do have lower range and penetration power for entering buildings. At least how the tech is setup now.

Mid-band is essentially around the same as what we have with LTE, which does work indoors to some extent.

So really, the low band will be for range and use indoors, whereas the others will be for the speed improvements.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Stay on 4G. When all the sheep buy there new 5G phones, I’m hoping 4G networks speed up with less congestion.
    Unlike 3G/LTE service, when properly implemented, 5G will aggregate with LTE, so staying on only LTE will offer no advantages. The "sheep" with the 5G phones will have future-proofed themselves against the day when LTE is depreciated.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4XL, Moto X4, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Unlike 3G/LTE service, when properly implemented, 5G will aggregate with LTE, so staying on only LTE will offer no advantages. The "sheep" with the 5G phones will have future-proofed themselves against the day when LTE is depreciated.
    Agree they'll be a point in the not too distant future when 5G will become accessible to a majority of cell phone users but just like when 4G was implemented, gonna take a while. Prices of 5G phones should be priced lower by then as well.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As per the thread title, it's not as much as a "lie" but more of an exaggeration at this point. All carriers have been accused of doing so over several years and will likely to happen for many years to come. The cell phone industry is an ever evolving technology and is constantly changing.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast