Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some handholding with this forced voLTE thing

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Need some handholding with this forced voLTE thing

I've looked at various websites and looked through various discussions here but still don't understand this. I am currently using a Note 3 and had planned to stick with it until it died.... Page Plus gave me a "reminder" today that my phone needs to be ditched; when I enter my number through the site it tells me the phone is not compatible. A recommendation in another discussion said to look at Phonescoop, which says my phone has LTE 4G mode.
    I also have a Note 4 ready to go, and am having no luck figuring out if it would be compatible. Under "advanced calling" the options exist to turn on HD Voice only or HD voice and video calling (which = voLTE?) but it's all grayed out-- maybe because the phone isn't activated? Thanks for any help figuring this out.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    VoLTE is different from LTE. VoLTE is Voice over LTE.

The Note 3 is before VoLTE.

As for the Note 4, it could be Advanced Calling 1.0 which needs a true Verizon account. Some Advanced Calling 1.0 phones did get an upgrade to Advanced Calling 2.0 which does not need a true Verizon account.

Edit: Here is what is going on, and why you are needing VoLTE: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    VoLTE is different from LTE. VoLTE is Voice over LTE.

The Note 3 is before VoLTE.

As for the Note 4, it could be Advanced Calling 1.0 which needs a true Verizon account. Some Advanced Calling 1.0 phones did get an upgrade to Advanced Calling 2.0 which does not need a true Verizon account.

Edit: Here is what is going on, and why you are needing VoLTE: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/
    Literally every article on VoLTE and supported phone listing I can find say that both the Note 3 and the note 4 support it. Example: https://www.cio.com/article/2824226/...out-volte.html

You're suggesting I may be able to use my Note 4 if I switch to Verizon? The Note 4 not being activated has nothing to do with it being disabled/grayed out? Thx.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You need to find a good Verizon based phone list. I know some of these phones support VoLTE under other tower carriers.

I know Boom Mobile had a good list for their Boom Red. It is no longer there, but there is a reddit post with the list for Boom Red: https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...atible_phones/

I have SIM swapped SIMs between many phones, and I have got VoLTE on phones, but for Advanced Calling 1.0 phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoguy2 View Post
    Literally every article on VoLTE and supported phone listing I can find say that both the Note 3 and the note 4 support it. Example: https://www.cio.com/article/2824226/...out-volte.html

You're suggesting I may be able to use my Note 4 if I switch to Verizon? The Note 4 not being activated has nothing to do with it being disabled/grayed out? Thx.
    Very old article on VoLTE. Not every phone supports VoLTE, and older Verizon branded phones may only support it if on direct Verizon service. The Galaxy S5 was like that. Those with Advanced Calling 1.0 never worked with VoLTE on an MVNO, while those with Advanced Calling 2.0 would. That upgrade was by Verizon OTA, and can't be done anymore.

Aside from the phone's capability. the account has to be VoLTE enabled. That came later with the MVNOs than with Verizon. I think PPC started enabling VoLTE in the first half of 2018. Activations before that may not be enabled, and sometimes need to be re-activated to get VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Aside from the phone's capability. the account has to be VoLTE enabled. That came later with the MVNOs than with Verizon. I think PPC started enabling VoLTE in the first half of 2018. Activations before that may not be enabled, and sometimes need to be re-activated to get VoLTE.
    This is a very good point. I definitely support going down this path, before buying a new phone.

As in the other thread here, even my native Verizon 4G/LTE line didn't support VoLTE until I called and had it enabled a very short time ago. The tech support person started giving me a 2 minute lecture on that all lines have VoLTE enabled, until he finally realized my didn't (and corrected/changed it).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Let me point you over to that other thread here, and specifically to this one post: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post17144184

Check to see if you have the VoLTE Provisioned slide switch option. Let us know if it is 'on' or 'off', and grayed out or not.

Feedback Score
    Fairly easy. Get a new phone. All new Vzw compatible phones (which you need on PPC) have VoLTE. Your Note 3 likely doesn't, nor does it support the bands you're going to need (specifically 5). The Note 4, though it supports VoLTE has less bands then the 3.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Let me point you over to that other thread here, and specifically to this one post: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post17144184

Check to see if you have the VoLTE Provisioned slide switch option. Let us know if it is 'on' or 'off', and grayed out or not.
    Thanks, Walt A. I did read through that discussion before starting this one. That screenshot seems to be specific to Motorola. I can't find anything with that information in my Note 4.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    You need to find a good Verizon based phone list. I know some of these phones support VoLTE under other tower carriers.

I know Boom Mobile had a good list for their Boom Red. It is no longer there, but there is a reddit post with the list for Boom Red: https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...atible_phones/

I have SIM swapped SIMs between many phones, and I have got VoLTE on phones, but for Advanced Calling 1.0 phones.
    Thanks for this find. Sounds like my Note 4 should be good.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for this find. Sounds like my Note 4 should be good.
    As long as that Note 4 was upgraded to Advanced Calling 2.0. The Note 4 was originally an Advanced Calling 1.0 phone.

I do not know to tell which one it would be tho.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Walt A. I did read through that discussion before starting this one. That screenshot seems to be specific to Motorola. I can't find anything with that information in my Note 4.
    Before posting here, I took a moment and checked this out on my work phone; a Samsung A71 5G. The "phone number" worked, and I got a very similar screen to the screenshot posted.

Feedback Score
    As I mentioned earlier; the Note 4 isn't going to have the bands you're likely going to need for reliability. It only has 4 and 13. Verizon is starting to use more 5. A year+ ago I'd see mainly 4 and 13 but all I ever see now is 2, 5, and occasional 13. VoLTE may work but if you get a bad signal what's it matter.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Before posting here, I took a moment and checked this out on my work phone; a Samsung A71 5G. The "phone number" worked, and I got a very similar screen to the screenshot posted.
    Can I bother you for steps you took to get to that screen? Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Page Plus has a tool to check for VoLTE by entering your phone number. If I throw the active SIM in my Note 4 it should be able to tell me if VoLTE is available, no?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast