Thread: FreeMii - $170 one time "membership" and free forever. Is it scam?

Feedback Score

FreeMii - $170 one time "membership" and free forever. Is it scam?

https://freemii.com/about

Unlimited ($22 GB/month soft cap) voice/text/data on all three networks.

"Only" one time membership and activation fees of $170 + taxes.

Feedback Score
    Actually it’s NOT a scam I have freemii service using AT&T network it costed me nearly 180 total including all taxes and shipping. The AT&T network is the fastest to activate as the T-mobile and Verizon is in beta can take up to 3 days to activate this is mentioned on the website, after receiving the sim in the mail. Freemii does offer a 100 day refund policy if you are not completely satisfied with their services.

Device(s)
    BLU V5, iPhone 6, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone (ATT), Mint Mobile (TMo), T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    After seeing the likes of 4GCommunity, Ring Plus, etc come and go (and go with very little notice), I’d say approach with great caution and research the heck out of them before sending any money.

Expect to be risking $170 for one month(or possibly no months) service, and you won’t be disappointed later.

Rule of thumb for mobile providers: if it’s too good to be true, it won’t last long. (Or if the business model seems unsustainable, proceed knowing the model is unsustainable.)

iPhone 6 on Mint Mobile (primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone and FreedomPop data (backup)
    iPad 4 on T-Mobile free data

iPhone 6 on Mint Mobile (primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone (backup)
    iPad 4 on T-Mobile free data

Feedback Score
    Better off with Visible. 22GB cap here vs no cap on Visible.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Some people use only 2-5 GB/mo. For them 10, 20, 22GB, or unlimited are all the same.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Need more positive user reviews and experiences to be posted. Other than that, sounds intriguing and hope they succeed.

Sounds a bit like a Freedom pop situation. Don't port a number you wouldn't want to use. Try it for the data if you have about $170 to spare. Might actually work out(until they get bought out or go under suddenly)

Sent from my iRulu Geoking Max 3 G36 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by ShredFred; 09-10-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Feedback Score
    I give this outfit 6 months at most. Certainly less than a year.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I had problems with Visible too, had to get a new number, and when I signed up with ATT prepaid had to get a new number since the one wouldn’t port over.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Moto Z4,Moto e5,ZTE Z320,Pokefi,Isatphone 2.1,Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,Pokefi,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Also would suggest looking at this nth circle thread https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/othe...s/3365-freemii

It appears to be legit but has a high one time membership fee and minimal staffing so looks like it has had some issues getting off the ground.

Selling of add on premium services and getting enough sponsoring advertising will likely be key to whether they survive. Guessing it has to cost them a minimum $10 to $20 a month in MVNO fees per customer for AT&T network access, so the business model only works long term if money is also coming in from non membership sources. If it doesn't, then they either will have to start charging monthly or annual fees, or close up shop.

I use Visible/Verizon for primary cellular phone/data in US. Think a more dependable choice at $25/month with Party Pay Plan through Reddit group(but YMMV).

I've used "lifetime" cellular services before so this isn't a new idea:

Have an active Karma Go mifi device with 40 gb of purchased discount data on a grandfathered plan that gives me free additional data if someone else uses a guest port that doesn't use my own data. No monthly fee and I've had it for 5 years(although they've tried to get me on various paid plans). Sprint and not sure what will happen due to T-Mo merger. Secondary device so not that concerned.

Have a Textnow ad supported free unlimited talk and text phone using their app with VoIP over WiFi with fallback to VoIP over Sprint. Works well and again a secondary device. Hoping they support T-Mo devices and network in future.

Had FreedomPop free service on mifi or usb devices but they started playing games with their freemium service terms so I canceled out before they could burn me. Since then, they sold out to Red Pocket.

Also tried RingPlus with a Moto razr flip, and CellNuvo with a Sharp smartphone. RingPlus is gone. CellNuvo is still around but they lost original carrier agreement and I no longer use them.

Sent from my moto z4 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    https://www.prdistribution.com/news/...arrier/2054926

seems they have been around for several years, originally they paid a portion of your bill whomever you were with as a perk of membership

does not seem sustainable to me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post

seems they have been around for several years, originally they paid a portion of your bill whomever you were with as a perk of membership

That article just screams scam.

Feedback Score
    looks like they have 2 websites, each a bit different from the other:

https://myfreemii.com/
    https://www.freemii.com/

Device(s)
    Moto Z4,Moto e5,ZTE Z320,Pokefi,Isatphone 2.1,Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,Pokefi,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Only way can work other than premium add-ons and advertisers paying commissions (both unlikely to pan out) would be:

Similar to Sirius XM with lifetime subs early on to bring in non-investor cash to bankroll operations (I have some of these units bought 2nd hand on eBay) to start off. Then once operations stabilize go to a monthly subscriber model for all new people. They may need a minimum number of people to get an MVNO agreement to stay in force so this is their pipedream gimmick to draw people in.

But think they won't get that far. Guessing maybe six to 12 months and then they fold or sell off their customers (who won't give them free service in perpetuity). Or they start demanding monthly payments from their "lifetime" subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post

Sent from my moto z4 using HoFo mobile app