Thread: Has T-mobile improved around Dallas last couple of years

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Has T-mobile improved around Dallas last couple of years

First of all, Iím a dummy when it comes to all things on the technical side. I just want to share my precious experience with T-mobile. My big gripe with T-mobile was its lack of being able to penetrate buildings. My house didnít get great reception (worst of the big 3). I couldnít get good signal in stores so it was often frustrating if I needed to pull up our shopping list on the app, look at a review for a product, picture message my wife to see if thatís what she wants exactly, price match something,etc. That may sound silly, but we live close to a ton of stores and an outdoor shopping mall and are going to the store almost daily. The one positive was that it got the best signal of the Big 3 at my in-lawsí house. My wife is there about every day. For AT&T itís a dead zone, and Verizon is just barely usable.

I have the iPhone 8 Plus that can be used on any carrier. After using Verizon (got it about 3 months ago) at my job for the first time today (back to school) I am not impressed. My phone actually read 1x a lot of the time! AT&T never had a problem there! Has T-mobileís ability to penetrate buildings gotten better over the past year, or will it in the next few months? Most of my usage is just south of Dallas.

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    First of all, Iím a dummy when it comes to all things on the technical side. I just want to share my precious experience with T-mobile. My big gripe with T-mobile was its lack of being able to penetrate buildings. My house didnít get great reception (worst of the big 3). I couldnít get good signal in stores so it was often frustrating if I needed to pull up our shopping list on the app, look at a review for a product, picture message my wife to see if thatís what she wants exactly, price match something,etc. That may sound silly, but we live close to a ton of stores and an outdoor shopping mall and are going to the store almost daily. The one positive was that it got the best signal of the Big 3 at my in-lawsí house. My wife is there about every day. For AT&T itís a dead zone, and Verizon is just barely usable.

I have the iPhone 8 Plus that can be used on any carrier. After using Verizon (got it about 3 months ago) at my job for the first time today (back to school) I am not impressed. My phone actually read 1x a lot of the time! AT&T never had a problem there! Has T-mobileís ability to penetrate buildings gotten better over the past year, or will it in the next few months? Most of my usage is just south of Dallas.

Thank you!
    I don't know Dallas, but in my small central Virginia town with a population of 25K when T-Mo turned on 600 MHz LTE band 71 here last December I went from no signal in my house to good signal even in the most interior rooms. My house is like five miles out of town on the rural fringe of suburbia. The signal is good, but not fast. I get 3-8 Mbps on LTE in the house and more like a solid 8 closer to and in town. I would bet that Dallas is pretty well covered, if not fast, by now.

You can get a free Test Drive hotspot with 30 GB for a month from T-Mo to try it. It is really free with no strings attached. You don't even have to return the hotspot device.

Part of the reason that band 71 LTE is slowish is that T-Mo decided to put 2/3 of the spectrum on 5G as they build their 5G network for the future. In the mean time, there is not much I can't do at 3-8 Mbps.

Looking forward to field reports on T-Mo around Dallas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ∑T∑∑∑Mobile∑ USA
    Feedback Score

Thank you!
    Of course it has, they're actively building on a regular and with the new added low bands..

But, I will say you will need a newer phone to access all of the "low band" indoor coverage. the iPhone 8 does not have Band 71/600MHz, which was added in the Xs Max (600MHz). T-Mobile is using most of it on 5G, but there's still LTE there that immensely helps with indoor coverage.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more ďruralĒ areas)

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Of course it has, they're actively building on a regular and with the new added low bands..

But, I will say you will need a newer phone to access all of the "low band" indoor coverage. the iPhone 8 does not have Band 71/600MHz, which was added in the Xs Max (600MHz). T-Mobile is using most of it on 5G, but there's still LTE there that immensely helps with indoor coverage.
    Hmmm, do you think I would get better coverage with Verizon then if I upgraded my phone to a 10s Max or 11? Also, do you think it would help if I used an actual VZ phone as opposed to the one that just works on Vz? I just havenít been that impressed with VZ for the claims of #1 carrier.

I donít know if that would be the route to try or switch to T-mobile and get a new phone that you suggested.

Also, to the first member that relied, I donít know what a hotspot is. How does that work? I know, for example, for my daughterís WiFi only iPad, we can turn on our hotspot for her to get internet in the car. What is the one you speak of that T-Mo lets you try for free?

Thank you both!

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, do you think I would get better coverage with Verizon then if I upgraded my phone to a 10s Max or 11? Also, do you think it would help if I used an actual VZ phone as opposed to the one that just works on Vz? I just havenít been that impressed with VZ for the claims of #1 carrier.

I donít know if that would be the route to try or switch to T-mobile and get a new phone that you suggested.

Also, to the first member that relied, I donít know what a hotspot is. How does that work? I know, for example, for my daughterís WiFi only iPad, we can turn on our hotspot for her to get internet in the car. What is the one you speak of that T-Mo lets you try for free?

Thank you both!
    A hotspot device works conceptually the same as hotspotting your phone to provide WiFi to the iPad. The hotspot device connects to cell data and puts out Wifi to use the data. The devices are small, battery powered like a phone, and don't have keyboards or much of a screen. You just power it on and it works like home WiFi. I think the one they are currently giving away is a Franklin brand.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

As for your phone, the newer iPhones probably have more of the cell frequency bands than an 8 and more channels of carrier aggregation. I would definitely want one with band 71 to use T-Mobile. Band 71 is the one with the longest range and penetrates buildings the best.

I have not found that Verizon branded phones work better than compatible generic ones. Newer iPhones tend to have all the bands for all of the carriers.

Texas is generally known for AT&T being better than Verizon. If you are considering T-Mobile, be aware that their signal will probably be weak or non-existant outside of metro areas. T-Mobile is building, but is unlikely to be on par with AT&T for several years - especially rural.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ∑T∑∑∑Mobile∑ USA
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm, do you think I would get better coverage with Verizon then if I upgraded my phone to a 10s Max or 11? Also, do you think it would help if I used an actual VZ phone as opposed to the one that just works on Vz? I just haven’t been that impressed with VZ for the claims of #1 carrier.

I don’t know if that would be the route to try or switch to T-mobile and get a new phone that you suggested.

Also, to the first member that relied, I don’t know what a hotspot is. How does that work? I know, for example, for my daughter’s WiFi only iPad, we can turn on our hotspot for her to get internet in the car. What is the one you speak of that T-Mo lets you try for free?

Thank you both!
    Verizon has not added any new LTE bands, only AT&T (B14 for FirstNet) and T-Mobile (T-Mobile was AWS/PCS for quite some time, thus why it sucked indoors).

I'd just try T-Mobile and worse case you can just walk away if it does not work to your satisfaction and go back to verizon. Also, an iPhone SE looks *just* like your iPhone 8, with iPhone 11 internals/radio.. and it's only $400. It would be a good step up if you are happy with the iPhone 8 form factor.

Honestly, I'm mostly around the midwest on my days off (but work for an company that's "home" is Dallas) and spend quite a bit of time in Dallas, it's been a good year or two since i've had in building service issues with T-Mobile in Dallas, and it seems as I can even manually select Sprint there if i'm somewhere they happen to be stronger/faster.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm, do you think I would get better coverage with Verizon then if I upgraded my phone to a 10s Max or 11? Also, do you think it would help if I used an actual VZ phone as opposed to the one that just works on Vz?
    No, VZW uses bands 4* & 2 (mid band) for capacity and 13 and 5 (low band) for coverage. Some iphone 8+ had an intel LTE modem, the Qualcomm one is a little bit better signal-wise. But both support all VZW's current bands so it wouldn't be some huge difference.

*4/66 -- 66 is a slightly extended band 4, both iphones do support band 66, but that'd affect speeds slightly not coverage.