Thread: Conversion of older (Alltel, America's Choice, etc) rate plans to "newer" "Nationwide" ones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256GB Black/Verizon, iPhone 7 256GB Black/AT&T, iPhone 6s 128GB/T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    Feedback Score

Conversion of older (Alltel, America's Choice, etc) rate plans to "newer" "Nationwide" ones.

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out a pattern here as it relates to the conversion of older rate plans (such as Alltel SmartPack, America's Choice, and the like) to newer ones. There are two accounts that I have encountered so far that are INDIVIDUAL Alltel SmartPack converted accounts that had the following message at the end of their last AUGUST generated bill:

Important updates to your price plan:

Great News! We will be making some changes to your current plan. You do not need to do anything to implement these changes.

Your new plan will now include national coverage along with unlimited talk and text messaging at a lower price. In addition, your plan will include unlimited calling to Canada and Mexico. Other international rates may have changed https://www.verizonwireless.com/solu...istance-in-us/.

Please allow 1-2 bill cycles for this change to take effect. Thank you for being a Verizon customer.

One of those accounts had an Alltel SmartPack 500 for $109.99 (including the $20 increase from years ago due to being gUDP, originally $89.99), and ONE had a SmartPack 1200 for $129.99 (also including that $20 increase for gUDP, originally $109.99). Now, in theory, Verizon would want to keep as much revenue as possible when migrating these accounts to a more modern "Nationwide" plan, thus giving them both a different MRC due to a different original base plan, BUT, BOTH of these accounts have already have already had their September bill generate (they have early monthly cycles), and BOTH were converted to a "Nationwide Talk/Text Unlimited" plan with the pricing set at $79.99. They are also BOTH still receiving Corporate Discounts ON TOP OF THAT. Now, for those of you all that may remember, there NEVER was a "Nationwide" plan at that rate (nor were SmartPacks, at least when officially from Alltel, EVER supposed to be eligible for monthly Corporate Discounts, but that systematic restriction never carried over when everything was merged to the Verizon billing system years ago, and has never since been enforced), and, originally, the official Verizon "Nationwide" plan that had Unlimited minutes that DID exist ($69.99 for voice only, $89.99 with messaging), was SPECIFICALLY NOT ELIGIBLE for monthly Corporate Discounts, either, due to having Unlimited Voice minutes, as, at that time, that was considered a "steal" of a rate. This indicates that this is a special plan/set of plans (more on why I saw "plans" plurally, later) created JUST for accounts that are converting over from legacy plans. Crazily enough, "Nationwide" plans also did NOT originally include calling to Canada/Mexico either, but, according to the aforementioned verbiage, this one/these ones WILL. *EVEN MORE CURIOUSLY*, on ALL (pre-shared/fUDP/newer "Unlimited" plans) "Nationwide" plans the Unlimited Data Plan (gUDP) was ALWAYS A SEPARATELY BILLED PORTION of your plan. THERE IS NO SUCH SEPARATE CHARGE ON EITHER OF THESE BILLS for the data portion (gUDP) of the plan. It appears, as crazy as it may sound, that these plans were actually structured like the old Alltel plans, with gUDP/data BUILT-IN as a potential $0 add-on SOC.

A third account (shared plan) got the following message at the end of the August statement (it has not yet officially converted, due to a late September reset cycle for the bill):

Important updates to your price plan:

Great News! We will be making some changes to your current share plan. You do not need to do anything to implement these changes.

Your new plan will now include national coverage along with unlimited talk and text messaging at a lower price. As an added benefit, shared allowances will be replaced by unlimited talk and text for each individual line on your current share plan. In addition, your plan will include unlimited calling to Canada and Mexico. Other international rates may have changed https://www.verizonwireless.com/solu...istance-in-us/.

Please allow 1-2 bill cycles for this change to take effect. Thank you for being a Verizon customer.

THIS account currently has an Alltel SmartPack 2000 for $139.99, with AAL's of $40.00 a month x 2, bringing the base pricing to $219.99. No $20 gUDP price increase(s) included, as I had always been able to get them reversed, and the system never grabbed it again. I think that it was a one time "**** you" sweep, and that was the end of it, at least as it pertains to the Alltel plans. So, the cat that wishes to die by curiosity that I am, I decided to call in and do a little poking around with CS earlier this evening, and see what this account was slated to switch to (because, I'm thinking, there's no way that it can somehow be cheaper as the verbiage above states, and have multiple $79.99 base plans on there). I WAS TOLD that THIS account is scheduled to switch to a DIFFERENT, and even FAR CHEAPER SOC CODE than the aforementioned two accounts (I had the representative cross reference them, as I have access). I presume that is because it is a shared plan as it is. Also, indicative of the pricing that I was given, one might ponder that they will be setting the converted “family” lines on this account up as just cheaper individual lines. We shall see.

NOW, here are the REAL questions:

A little bit of history first, though. These (SmartPacks) plans were supposed to be structured as SINGLE LINE *OR* FAMILY PLANS. If you have one line, it was simply an individual plan, and if you wished to add a line on to share minutes, it was $40 per Smartphone, and $20 per dumb phone, and it then became a "Family Plan" by proxy.

Are the first two converted accounts now screwed with being able to "add lines" AT ALL under a Grandfathered "Nationwide" plan structure? Or is there some way/pricing structure to do so? If so, does anyone know the pricing for such an action? Perhaps NEW "add a lines" would be limited in data (2GB) like what Verizon started doing a few years after the Alltel plans converted when you would add a Smartphone ($40 option), as I highly doubt that they would be gUDP as well. (At this stage, though, WHO KNOWS.) Also, as for dumb phones, I wonder what the case is there, too, at least as it pertains to monthly pricing.
    If anybody the answer to the above is yes, would it be prudent to go ahead and add two lines <the remaining allotment for sharing on the account that has yet to convert> (even SmartPhones with limited data, or, hell even dumb phones for $20) so it won't be screwed out of the ability to add lines once the cycle rolls over later this month? Or not?

Will the Corporate Discounts stay?

Will these converted plans remain with gUDP, and, is it RELLY baked into the monthly plan charge, versus separate like the previous Alltel SmartPacks?

Are there any other price points, or other element nuances for rate plan conversions that people have run into?

Etc.

What are everybody's thoughts/knowledge, or, even better yet, if you have them, experiences with all of this so far? Thanks in advance!
    I am looking to take over a former *Centennial Wireless* Account that was converted to *VERIZON*. Preferably one with a data card, but I won't discriminate if it's a voice plan with a dumbphone/smartphone/whatever. If it's a former Centennial Account and is now a VERIZON account, but still has the Centennial Plan on it, then I AM INTERESTED!

FINALLY reached my 6,000th post on Monday February 28th, 2011 at 2:23 A.M. EST.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Normally if you have a grandfathered plan, you are still free to add or remove lines on that same plan; so I'm assuming you could indeed add lines to your plans. Verizon does have grandfathered plans where "feature phones" (dumb phones/flip phones) are added on for a lower price than smartphones, so I'd guess you can do that. I don't know if the GUDP would apply to all lines or just one; in some plans data was per-line so UDP would be on one line, in some cases the data is part of the plan; maybe it's going to be "unlimited but subject to deprioritization at 22GB" as several newer plans are.