Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3G VZ or Tello phone suggestion

Feedback Score

3G VZ or Tello phone suggestion

I know 3G is going away soon. ....but....does anyone know if it's possible to add an older LG Cosmos 2 Verizon to any cheap MVNO anywhere? Or is it impossible now? I called Expo Mobile and they said no.

If it's not going to work, and I need to move to 4G,....I'm looking at Tello because of their cheap plans. Any suggestions on any cheap Android 4G phone that will work with Sprint?

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I personally would suggest getting a phone from Tello itself since Verizon phones will not work on Sprint or Sprint MVNO's. Also if you were going to try to use it on any Verizon plan or MVNO, they will not be able to activate it due to Verizon requiring VoLTE on all devices now.

Also, reason I'd suggest buying from Tello is that it is likely to get better support once the integration between Sprint and T-Mobile really gets underway.
    (My e4 I have on Tello supposedly is fully compatible with T-Mobile, including VoLTE. That is once they begin integrating the networks and moving MVNO customers off of Sprint.)

At this point in time, I would not suggest trying to activate a 3G only device as 3G is slated to be "sunset" within the next year or two.
    (In other words, all carriers will become more aggressive about shutting down 3G and re-farming it for LTE and 5G. So your 3G device may get worsening coverage, if it gets any at all.)
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    It isn't possible to activate a 3G-only phone anywhere on the Verizon network anymore.
    That phone isn't likely to be whitelisted (allowed) for use on the Sprint network, either-- even though it is technically possible to activate some 3G phones on Tello still.

I'd look for a new (to you) phone. jmac32here's suggestion of a Motorola Moto E4 is a good choice. I'd recommend the factory unlocked version, and likely to cost $50-60, The Moto G4 Play, also factory unlocked, is likely a little cheaper, with very similar feature set.

If budget is really tight, you might look for a Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile LG Tribute HD, LG Tribute 2, Huawei Union, or LG Volt. In my experience, all of those should be Tello-eligible: but they won't work on T-Mobile, AT&T, or Verizon networks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbaah View Post
    I know 3G is going away soon. ....but....does anyone know if it's possible to add an older LG Cosmos 2 Verizon to any cheap MVNO anywhere? Or is it impossible now? I called Expo Mobile and they said no.

If it's not going to work, and I need to move to 4G,....I'm looking at Tello because of their cheap plans. Any suggestions on any cheap Android 4G phone that will work with Sprint?
    There may be other plans that will fit your needs that could have better coverage than what Tello on the Sprint network can provide. How many minutes/texts/MB do you need monthly?

Feedback Score
    I know 3G is going away soon. ....but....does anyone know if it's possible to add an older LG Cosmos 2 Verizon to any cheap MVNO anywhere? Or is it impossible now?
    It is impossible.
    1. You can not activate non-VoLTE phones on Verizon or Verizon MVNOs
    2. Verizon 3G network is shutting down on 12/31/2020 and non-VoLTE phones and 3G phones like LG Cosmos 2 will not be able to connect to the network at all (you will be able to use them as music players only).

There is no more Sprint. It was merged with T-Mobile. You still can use cheap Sprint CDMA/LTE phones with former Sprint MVNOs like Tello, but not clear for how long.

If you insist on Sprint, then buy on Ebay LG Tribute 2 and connect to Tello.
    But if you add few more bucks, buy on Ebay unlocked non-branded (it is important, for example, unlocked Sprint or unlocked AT&T versions are not good) version of Moto E4 and connect to HelloMobile. You need Moto E4 XT1768 only: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...T1768&_sacat=0. This phone will always be compatible with T-Mobile and Verizon. It will be compatible with former Sprint MVNOs for another few years and with AT&T until 02/2020

HelloMobile is cheapest T-Mobile/Sprint MVNO. You can use HelloMobile's T-Mobile or Sprint compatible SIM cards (T-Mobile compatible SIM is better for the same price). Remember, the phone must support VoLTE to be compatible with T-Mobile (and Verizon, by the way).

You can buy T-Mobile compatible/branded/locked phone to use with HelloMobile GSM SIM. For example, Moto E4 XT1765 :

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-XT17.../dp/B07K1MFQ7S

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+XT1765&_oac=1

If you need only calls/text without data, then you can use Moto E4 XT1768 (see above) or any other Sprint compatible phone (LG Tribute 2 is possibly the cheapest) with TextNow free plan (unlimited calls/texts but now data).
    Last edited by RFK; 09-11-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm still calling it a toss up between Tello and Hello Mobile for cheapest Sprint MVNO.

They seem to be playing leapfrog on the pricing with each other.
    Lower data plans are cheaper on Tello (but you pay taxes) so the 4 GB plan comes out to be the same.

Then you have the 5 and 6 GB plans, which are comparable.

After that, Hello does become the cheaper option, even having Unlimited everything for $25.
    (Though I hear they throttle after 25 GB)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    I'm still calling it a toss up between Tello and Hello Mobile for cheapest Sprint MVNO.

They seem to be playing leapfrog on the pricing with each other.
    Lower data plans are cheaper on Tello (but you pay taxes) so the 4 GB plan comes out to be the same.

Then you have the 5 and 6 GB plans, which are comparable.

After that, Hello does become the cheaper option, even having Unlimited everything for $25.
    (Though I hear they throttle after 25 GB)
    HelloMobile is cheapest T-Mobile MVNO for low usage (with data)

Feedback Score

3G and Sprint are both dead ends that I would not waste my time on.

prepaidcompare.net is a good tool to look for providers and plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    There may be other plans that will fit your needs that could have better coverage than what Tello on the Sprint network can provide. How many minutes/texts/MB do you need monthly?
    We don't need many minutes/texts/MB. It would be a phone for my son, who rarely uses phones and he knows this is for quick calls home or texting home or his friends. I'm now looking at Verizon mvno's. I saw Redpocket had a yearly ebay option $5/month with 100/100/250 or 500mb (can't remember specific mb). That's really all I want to pay monthly now for another smartphone. (I'm sure eventually, maybe in a year or two, I'll have to up the plan price. But I'd like to keep it low for now if possible). I was looking at Moto E5. Saw some used ones on FB marketplace.

For as much as I want cheap, I'm pretty sure our Sprint coverage around where we live is not that great. I tried T-mobile once and that didn't work. We've had good luck with V and ATT, so I think I'm going to just stick to what works so that he has coverage when he's in high school and at sports practice.

Feedback Score
    If you have any plan or phone suggestions, I'm all ears.

Feedback Score
    We don't need many minutes/texts/MB. It would be a phone for my son, who rarely uses phones and he knows this is for quick calls home or texting home or his friends. I'm now looking at Verizon mvno's. I saw Redpocket had a yearly ebay option $5/month with 100/100/250 or 500mb (can't remember specific mb). That's really all I want to pay monthly now for another smartphone. (I'm sure eventually, maybe in a year or two, I'll have to up the plan price. But I'd like to keep it low for now if possible). I was looking at Moto E5. Saw some used ones on FB marketplace.

For as much as I want cheap, I'm pretty sure our Sprint coverage around where we live is not that great. I tried T-mobile once and that didn't work. We've had good luck with V and ATT, so I think I'm going to just stick to what works so that he has coverage when he's in high school and at sports practice.
    Now that you have told us what your needs are, I will suggest a HSN or QVC Tracphone bundle. $59 gets you a Moto E6 and a year of TF service with 1,500 units each of talk minutes, texts, and data MB. It also comes with a basic case and car charger. I have used an E6. It is a nice basic phone with adequate performance. I also have a E5 which was a QVC bundle. The HSN Tracfones use the Verizon network.

After the year with TF you can get the phone unlocked to use on other services if desired.

Feedback Score

If 100/100/500 will work for the next 360 days, I believe that RP deal is the best.

Whatever phone you get, if you want to use it on either the AT&T or Vzw networks, make sure it is the truly factory unlocked universal version, and not a carrier branded phone that's been unlocked later. If you're going to use it on the Vzw network, make sure it's Vzw VoLTE compatible. If you're going to use it on AT&T, be aware that most of the lower end phones won't be compatible with AT&T after Feb, 2022. See https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf for the list of phones that should be compatible with AT&T after Feb, 2022.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Now that you have told us what your needs are, I will suggest a HSN or QVC Tracphone bundle. $59 gets you a Moto E6 and a year of TF service with 1,500 units each of talk minutes, texts, and data MB. It also comes with a basic case and car charger. I have used an E6. It is a nice basic phone with adequate performance. I also have a E5 which was a QVC bundle. The HSN Tracfones use the Verizon network.

After the year with TF you can get the phone unlocked to use on other services if desired.
    Am I roped in with Tracphone though after the year? I know "unlocked" means different things. Though I'm not sure what the "unlocked" differences are. Though I know there are differences between "unlocked" this and "unlocked" that.

And can the tracphone E6 be put on redpocket after a year?

Feedback Score
    Am I roped in with Tracphone though after the year? I know "unlocked" means different things. Though I'm not sure what the "unlocked" differences are. Though I know there are differences between "unlocked" this and "unlocked" that.

And can the tracphone E6 be put on redpocket after a year?
    The Tracfone Moto E5 or E6 can be used on any AT&T or T-Mobile MVNO (including Red Pocket) after it's unlocked after the year of service. Unlocking is free, but must be requested.

There is some question about whether unlocking will allow you to use these phones to activate a new line on a Verizon network MVNO after unlocking. Some reports indicate you can't activate a new line with that phone, but if you have another phone available to activate, you can then move the SIM to the unlocked Tracfone without issue.

If the included minutes and texts are sufficient, it's hard to beat the Tracfone bundle including a phone.

Feedback Score
    If 100/100/500 will work for the next 360 days, I believe that RP deal is the best.

Whatever phone you get, if you want to use it on either the AT&T or Vzw networks, make sure it is the truly factory unlocked universal version, and not a carrier branded phone that's been unlocked later. If you're going to use it on the Vzw network, make sure it's Vzw VoLTE compatible. If you're going to use it on AT&T, be aware that most of the lower end phones won't be compatible with AT&T after Feb, 2022. See https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf for the list of phones that should be compatible with AT&T after Feb, 2022.

On the pdf list, are the universal versions (like Samsung) listed with a U at the end? For the 2nd & 3rd pages, I don't see any U's. Would I just need to google those models to see if I can find one that is universal?

Would the tracphone suggestion above be a "carrier branded phone that's been unlocked later"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast