Thread: Pixel 3 XL and Sprint - signal strength issues and sporadic calls dropping - any thoughts?

Feedback Score

Question Pixel 3 XL and Sprint - signal strength issues and sporadic calls dropping - any thoughts?

I'm a Sprint customer (T-Mobile now?) and I just recently upgraded from a Pixel 2 XL to a Pixel 3 XL (running Android 10 - haven't yet upgraded to just released Android 11 yet). Since I've started using the Pixel 3 XL, I'm having all sorts of signal strength issues and dropped calls. While driving, my calls drop sporadically but frequently (in places that my Pixel 2 XL never dropped before). I was just in the supermarket (in Northern NJ) earlier, and discovered that my phone was constantly losing it's LTE connection when it was in my pocket (I would take it out to look at the supermarket app, and it would say I was offline until it regained an LTE connection). It's pretty frustrating since this is a brand new phone that I spent a good amount of time setting up. I am not sure if it's just a defective phone, or something else perhaps. Some thoughts about maybe what might be causing it:
    - could it be the case I bought? I don't think so since I took it off in the car once and still seemed to have dropped calls
    - On setting up the phone, I noticed two options that my Pixel 2 XL didn't have (WiFi Calling and VoLTE) and I've enabled them both. I thought I recall reading that VoLTE is possible now with T-Mobile's network. Could either of these options be causing the issue?
    - Could my phone somehow be roaming on T-Mobile's network in general and they have weaker towers in my area, etc.?

Google has offered to replace it, but I have no idea if it's the phone, or the network, or something else, and would hate to get a replacement, spend all the time setting it up again, and then find out I'm still having the issues. I'm almost debating going back to my Pixel 2 XL since at least it worked! Definitely very frustrating! Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas/troubleshooting? Thanks!

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I've been reading that Sprint customers that have gotten the ROAMAHOME update (giving them access to Sprint and T-Mobiles networks) have been told by Sprint reps to turn off VoLTE. This could explain the dropped calls since switching from T-Mobile VoLTE to Sprint's (VoLTE/Circuit Switched Calling) network could entail dropping calls/connections due to compatibility issues. (Sprint never rolled out VoLTE nationwide)

I would try turning off VoLTE and at least setting WiFi Calling to prefer the cellular network and see if that makes any changes.

As for losing LTE while in standby, that could be a power saving feature of the phone where it turns down the power of the modem to only need pings for receiving calls.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Well, I've been reading that Sprint customers that have gotten the ROAMAHOME update (giving them access to Sprint and T-Mobiles networks) have been told by Sprint reps to turn off VoLTE. This could explain the dropped calls since switching from T-Mobile VoLTE to Sprint's (VoLTE/Circuit Switched Calling) network could entail dropping calls/connections due to compatibility issues. (Sprint never rolled out VoLTE nationwide)

I would try turning off VoLTE and at least setting WiFi Calling to prefer the cellular network and see if that makes any changes.

As for losing LTE while in standby, that could be a power saving feature of the phone where it turns down the power of the modem to only need pings for receiving calls.
    Do you happen to know how one would check to see if they have gotten the ROAMAHOME update?

Also, I'd definitely be interested to read more about Sprint reps recommending VoLTE be turned off - since maybe some of those threads relate to my issue. Feel free to post links if you happen to know them!

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcNJ View Post
    Do you happen to know how one would check to see if they have gotten the ROAMAHOME update?

Also, I'd definitely be interested to read more about Sprint reps recommending VoLTE be turned off - since maybe some of those threads relate to my issue. Feel free to post links if you happen to know them!

Thanks!
    I'd have to do some searching for the thread I read it in, but I replied with them making this suggestion due to this issue being a possibility.

However, if you recently upgraded or moved your service to a 5G device, then it is very likely that you have ROAMAHOME.
    Only way to check will be to contact a Sprint CSR, though something may also show up in your account.