Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon worse than ATT for building penetration - S Dallas

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Verizon worse than ATT for building penetration - S Dallas

I have been a long time AT&T user. I used T-mobile about 3 years ago for 1 year, wasnít happy with it, then switched back to AT&T.

After AT&T still didnít fix the dead zone where my wife goes often I switched to VZ in hopes it would be better. We made the switch a few months ago (about April). Iím back on campus after working virtually since COVID started, and Iím seeing that LTE signal inside my campuses is worse than when I had AT&T! Iím getting 3g and even 1x sometimes! I donít want to keep VZ if this is how itís going to be. Also at my parentsí house (S Dallas) I donít get good LTE. Very surprised.

I am using an iPhone 8+. If I got a newer iPhone would that help with building penetration? I want to make some change, whether it be getting a new phone or switching to AT&T or T-Mo (giving them another shot). Maybe T-mo has improved in a couple of years, or maybe AT&T will be better with a newer phone?

Thanks in advance!

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I doubt getting a new phone would make much difference if any at all. The 8+ is one of the better iPhones reception wise.

We have both ATT & Verizon cell sites right across the street from work & you can find dead spots on both just 1/2 block away. Steel & concrete are real signal killers.

If in your shoes I would test T-Mobile with a 1 month sim card. I just did this with T-Mobile for $10.00 on Red Pocket(500/500/500) You really have to test the places you visit to find out what works best for your particular situation.

Location . . . Location . . . Location

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, Iím a dummy with a lot of this stuff. Whatís Red Pocket 500/500/500? Thank you! People in the T-mo thread suggested a newer phone because some of the newer ones had more bands. Maybe that doesnít apply to VZ. I forgot exactly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    500 minutes, 500 texts, 500 Mbs

Yes, if going with T-Mobile many of the newer phones have band 71 which the 8+ does not have.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    500 minutes, 500 texts, 500 Mbs

Yes, if going with T-Mobile many of the newer phones have band 71 which the 8+ does not have.
    So I wonder to solve my signal issues inside buildings, would I be better off with an 8 plus on Verizon or switching to T-mo and getting a band 71 phone? Or one of those things will you donít know until you try? Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, hard to say w/o actually trying. . . . . Reception is more art than science, especially with cellular frequencies.

Feedback Score
    Because at&t owns all the 850 MHz( band 5 ) in Dallas. So the only low band Verizon can use there is band 13 which can get congested fairly quickly. T-Mobile just leased 15X15 MHz band 71 there to go with their own 15X15. So when it comes to low band Verizon is by far the worst position in most of Texas outside of Houston

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Because at&t owns all the 850 MHz( band 5 ) in Dallas. So the only low band Verizon can use there is band 13 which can get congested fairly quickly. T-Mobile just leased 15X15 MHz band 71 there to go with their own 15X15. So when it comes to low band Verizon is by far the worst position in most of Texas outside of Houston
    So low band is whatís needed to penetrate buildings?

I wonder how T-mobile compares with ATT as far as building penetration now since it is leasing what you mentioned? A couple of years ago I got rid of t-mobile because I couldnít use my phone in any stores, and my home reception was not good either.

Maybe T-mo is worth another shot? I have the unbranded iPhone 8+ so I guess I could try a SIM and pop it in? Then again, it sounds like I need a newer iPhone to take advantage of T-moís newer low band improvements, right?

Not sure what to do. Ha

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    That's how radio waves work. The lower the frequency the further the signal can go and the more penetrating power it has based on the same power level. This is why all the "good" TV stations relied on low VHF then hi-VHF back before cable and UHF stations were all the "garbage" stations. And why FM radio is right next to the low-VHF band

Feedback Score

I wonder how T-mobile compares with ATT as far as building penetration now since it is leasing what you mentioned? A couple of years ago I got rid of t-mobile because I couldnít use my phone in any stores, and my home reception was not good either.

Maybe T-mo is worth another shot? I have the unbranded iPhone 8+ so I guess I could try a SIM and pop it in? Then again, it sounds like I need a newer iPhone to take advantage of T-moís newer low band improvements, right?

Not sure what to do. Ha
    iPhone 8+ does not have band 71 for T-Mobile. Without band 71 T-Mo coverage and building penetration can be poor even in urban areas.

As of now, T-Mo has put most of their band 71 on 5G. LTE on band 71 can be slow and there is not a 5G iPhone yet - coming soon though.

T-Mo will probably do well around town and the suburbs, but keep in mind that it probably won't work well, if at all, out in rural areas if you go there.

I would try the free hotspot test drive. Don't cost nuthin'.

Have you tried AT&T? AT&T should be good around Dallas, but your 8+ doesn't have AT&T's building penetrating band 14.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    iPhone 8+ does not have band 71 for T-Mobile. Without band 71 T-Mo coverage and building penetration can be poor even in urban areas.

As of now, T-Mo has put most of their band 71 on 5G. LTE on band 71 can be slow and there is not a 5G iPhone yet - coming soon though.

T-Mo will probably do well around town and the suburbs, but keep in mind that it probably won't work well, if at all, out in rural areas if you go there.

I would try the free hotspot test drive. Don't cost nuthin'.

Have you tried AT&T? AT&T should be good around Dallas, but your 8+ doesn't have AT&T's building penetrating band 14.
    I always joked that I would have kept T-mobile if I all did was use data outside or in my car haha! If I was in any store, restaurant, hotel, forget about LTE!! Even calls were worse with T-mobile in my house than ATT and VZ.

I had ATT since they were Cingular back in 2002. I canceled about 3 years ago to save some money. Then I went back to them. ATT is good around here except it bothered me that at my in-lawsí there is no service. My wife is there about 5 times a week and I could not get a hold of her, she couldnít reach out to others, it got to be a pain. T-mobile works perfectly at their house though. Also, a place of I20 we visit often the date is slow there. Iím guessing due to congestion. Thereís a mall close by, a shopping center, a place with tons of restaurants. Internet crawled if I was in that area with ATT. To be fair VZ struggles too there.

Are you saying if I switched back to ATT with a newer iPhone it could be even better than when I used ATT with the 8+?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    I always joked that I would have kept T-mobile if I all did was use data outside or in my car haha! If I was in any store, restaurant, hotel, forget about LTE!! Even calls were worse with T-mobile in my house than ATT and VZ.
    With band 71 T-Mobile low band is better than ether of the other 2. They have 25X25 there now thanks to the leases and their own. I'm, sure 15X15 of it is dedicated to 5G. Still should leave 10X10 for 4G. once they reach a deal for dish they'll have 35X35 total

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    With band 71 T-Mobile low band is better than ether of the other 2. They have 25X25 there now thanks to the leases and their own. I'm, sure 15X15 of it is dedicated to 5G. Still should leave 10X10 for 4G. once they reach a deal for dish they'll have 35X35 total
    When you say better than the other 2, you mean T-Mobileís low band is better than what ATT and VZ have to offer? If thatís what you mean it sounds like T-mobile might be the way to go IF I get a 10s max or newer?

Iím an idiot and donít know what all the numbers x numbers mean. Sorry.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ATT is good around here except it bothered me that at my in-laws’ there is no service. My wife is there about 5 times a week and I could not get a hold of her, she couldn’t reach out to others, it got to be a pain.
    I assume your in-laws have WiFi like everyone else? If so, as long as your wife joins their network once and has WiFi calling enabled on her iPhone, she'll never miss another call/text/iMessage from you again when she's there. The phone automatically switches to WiFi calling (as long as you've enabled it) whenever you're on a WiFi network once the signal from the tower gets poor enough (usually around 2 bars). WiFi basically just becomes an extension of the carrier's LTE cell network since everything (including calls) is basically just data packets now.

You can even turn on airplane mode, toggle WiFi on and if you've got WiFi calling enabled, you'll never miss a call. You can do this to test it once you've enabled WiFi calling.

Might make sense just to switch to AT&T if they are the better carrier where you live overall. Then enable WiFi calling and you're good to go when at your in-laws. Her phone will remember their WiFi network and reconnect to it automatically (after joining it once) and she'll be on WiFi calling at that point if there is no usable AT&T signal. Of course, if your in-laws don't have WiFi for some reason, all of this is moot.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I assume your in-laws have WiFi like everyone else? If so, as long as your wife joins their network once and has WiFi calling enabled on her iPhone, she'll never miss another call/text/iMessage from you again when she's there. The phone automatically switches to WiFi calling (as long as you've enabled it) whenever you're on a WiFi network once the signal from the tower gets poor enough (usually around 2 bars). WiFi basically just becomes an extension of the carrier's LTE cell network since everything (including calls) is basically just data packets now.

You can even turn on airplane mode, toggle WiFi on and if you've got WiFi calling enabled, you'll never miss a call. You can do this to test it once you've enabled WiFi calling.

Might make sense just to switch to AT&T if they are the better carrier where you live overall. Then enable WiFi calling and you're good to go when at your in-laws. Her phone will remember their WiFi network and reconnect to it automatically (after joining it once) and she'll be on WiFi calling at that point if there is no usable AT&T signal. Of course, if your in-laws don't have WiFi for some reason, all of this is moot.
    Thank you. I didnít even ask my wife to turn it on. I donít care what anyone says. Leaving WiFi calling enabled absolutely drained my battery much faster than anything I have ever seen! I could not believe it.

Yes overall AT&T has been the best, but I havenít tired T-Mo in a couple of years. I may even have had a 7+ at that time. I canít remember. Not sure what might be best.

Thank you for your reply!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast