Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Verizon worse than ATT for building penetration - S Dallas

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Some bands are more important than others. B14 on ATT. B71 on T-Mobile. And the 10s supports those.
    Looking at Apple's site, using the Xr as reference, there are a few differences that I don't know how important they are:
    The Xr/Xs is missing band 42/46/48, but has 32 which the 11 misses. Which appear to be geared toward future capacity uses. So a little more future proofing.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Lol, relative to the iPhones, 5G does not existThe SE 2020 and 11 both have the A13 chip. The 11 Pro has 4x4 mimo, better cameras, screen and face unlock.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare...iphone11promax

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I've got used to the size of the 6.1" 11, which I never did with the 7+. Though I liked the size of the 5.8" X better.

If the 6.1" 12 Pro has mmWave support, I may cave in and buy it. Trade in something toward it. Without it, I'll just stay with my 11 another year. I have AC+ anyway.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I've got used to the size of the 6.1" 11, which I never did with the 7+. Though I liked the size of the 5.8" X better.

If the 6.1" 12 Pro has mmWave support, I may cave in and buy it. Trade in something toward it. Without it, I'll just stay with my 11 another year. I have AC+ anyway.
    I have the note 20 ultra on at&t, I have seen 5G+(mmWave) twice on the lower west side of Manhattan. Unless you know you have it in your area and it'll benefit you, I'd wait. Unless you want it for sub6 NR, which was mainly why I upgraded. Having mmWave is just a nice perk. Having the snapdragon 865+ and the new LTE/NR amplifier is also a nice perk!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    Which iphone would it need to be that would have more bands than my current 8+?

I think someone mentioned in another thread at least a 10s Max? So all of the 11s should be better also?

Thinking of waiting for the 12, but I donít know which carrier would be the best for 5g? Does AT&T have much 5g around Dallas?
    As others have mentioned, you should be good with the XR or above. Depending on how long you plan on keeping your phone it could make sense to wait for the 12. At this point, 5g is still in its infancy and low band performs worse or about the same as LTE. It will take a couple of years for 5g to become the standard.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    I always joked that I would have kept T-mobile if I all did was use data outside or in my car haha! If I was in any store, restaurant, hotel, forget about LTE!! Even calls were worse with T-mobile in my house than ATT and VZ.

I had ATT since they were Cingular back in 2002. I canceled about 3 years ago to save some money. Then I went back to them. ATT is good around here except it bothered me that at my in-lawsí there is no service. My wife is there about 5 times a week and I could not get a hold of her, she couldnít reach out to others, it got to be a pain. T-mobile works perfectly at their house though. Also, a place of I20 we visit often the date is slow there. Iím guessing due to congestion. Thereís a mall close by, a shopping center, a place with tons of restaurants. Internet crawled if I was in that area with ATT. To be fair VZ struggles too there.

Are you saying if I switched back to ATT with a newer iPhone it could be even better than when I used ATT with the 8+?

Thank you!
    Look at Mint Mobile 7 day trial. You can test the T-Mobile network for free. Indoor coverage has improved quite a bit in the last three years. Even though your phone does not support Band 71, this will give you a good idea of indoor coverage. Upgrading would help to give you additional (B71) low band capacity and improved coverage in areas without B12.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    Look at Mint Mobile 7 day trial. You can test the T-Mobile network for free. Indoor coverage has improved quite a bit in the last three years. Even though your phone does not support Band 71, this will give you a good idea of indoor coverage. Upgrading would help to give you additional (B71) low band capacity and improved coverage in areas without B12.
    Sorry, I'm confused by the part I put in bold. How would I get a good idea of indoor coverage if my current 8+ doesn't support that band. Won't my 8+ struggle indoors. But newer phones with more bands would do better, so that wouldn't really give me an accurate test would it?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I'm confused by the part I put in bold. How would I get a good idea of indoor coverage if my current 8+ doesn't support that band. Won't my 8+ struggle indoors. But newer phones with more bands would do better, so that wouldn't really give me an accurate test would it?

thanks
    If you want to try t-mobiles network for free get this https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    If you want to try t-mobiles network for free get this https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial
    Would it be better to wait until the iphone 12 comes out though if I'm interested in that?

If I gave it a free trial and decided I liked it, then I wouldn't be a new customer once the 12 came out.

Feedback Score
    Would it be better to wait until the iphone 12 comes out though if I'm interested in that?

If I gave it a free trial and decided I liked it, then I wouldn't be a new customer once the 12 came out.
    You're not becoming a customer of T-Mobile. You get a jetpack that works for 30 days after activation or 30 GB whichever comes first. There is nothing to sign up for.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You're not becoming a customer of T-Mobile. You get a jetpack that works for 30 days after activation or 30 GB whichever comes first. There is nothing to sign up for.
    I just signed up. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    The 10s max would be a little slower than the SE, but much bigger screen. I would personally take the 10s (not max) over the new SE because of the bigger screen and better camera, depending on price.

My recommendations is anything from the Xr and newer is fine. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, and form factor/camera preferences. The 12 will give you 5G which in the short term isn't important but 2-3 years down the road will be more important. It is unknown whether mmWave 5G will be available for anything but the top end 12. And in a few years it may be like the original 5, seen as very limited in 5G support (the 5 was limited for LTE).
    At this point in time I do not recommend people buying 5G phones since it is still an evolving standard and most 5G phones do not support voice over NR. So I would pick a phone based on specs not on it having 5G.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just wanting to let you know for those VZ who don't look in the t-mobile thread.

I have had better luck all around so far in S. Dallas with T-mobile's hot spot trial device than with VZ's service (using my ip 8+). I returned to my campuses after summer break, and I noticed that VZ doesn't do so well inside the building and in one of the portables I work from. The T-mobile hot spot is handling them both well.

Now, in areas where VZ works well, it beats T-mobile in terms of speed (by about 20mpbs in some areas)! I'm looking for consistent coverage for data wherever I go though. I may switch to T-mo if I keep finding better all around coverage.

I need to test a couple of other spots I frequent (in-laws' and parent's house). Heck, I may even head back to AT&T.

Another thought: the hot spot device may get better coverage than my iphone 8+ so I'm not so sure if I switched to T-mo that I would see similar results. I plan on switching carriers when the iphone 12 comes out. Not sure which carrier I'll end up with.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just wanting to let you know for those VZ who don't look in the t-mobile thread.

I have had better luck all around so far in S. Dallas with T-mobile's hot spot trial device than with VZ's service (using my ip 8+). I returned to my campuses after summer break, and I noticed that VZ doesn't do so well inside the building and in one of the portables I work from. The T-mobile hot spot is handling them both well.

Now, in areas where VZ works well, it beats T-mobile in terms of speed (by about 20mpbs in some areas)! I'm looking for consistent coverage for data wherever I go though. I may switch to T-mo if I keep finding better all around coverage.

I need to test a couple of other spots I frequent (in-laws' and parent's house). Heck, I may even head back to AT&T.

Another thought: the hot spot device may get better coverage than my iphone 8+ so I'm not so sure if I switched to T-mo that I would see similar results. I plan on switching carriers when the iphone 12 comes out. Not sure which carrier I'll end up with.
    Well it sounds like you have options and thatís a good thing. Go with whoever works best for you. Donít forget to look at upload speeds too especially if you are involved in video conferencing. In my market AT&T almost always beats Verizon in download speeds Verizon almost always beats AT&T in upload speed and latency.

You mention you returned to campus from summer break so Iím assuming you mean you either work or attend a college. Here in Pittsburgh I noticed around Pitt campus T-Mobile speeds went from 50-60 Mbps to around 10 or so but Still usable. Verizon went from the 160ís down to 70-80 in places (Verizon tends to have a lot of buildings with DASís so indoor coverage/speeds isnít really an issue) AT&T really didnít change much. They stayed over 100 Mbps but AT&T also just put in a bunch of small cells. A lot of the schools classes are still being done on zoom and such so itís not a surprise that networks are taking a hit again.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Well it sounds like you have options and that’s a good thing. Go with whoever works best for you. Don’t forget to look at upload speeds too especially if you are involved in video conferencing. In my market AT&T almost always beats Verizon in download speeds Verizon almost always beats AT&T in upload speed and latency.

You mention you returned to campus from summer break so I’m assuming you mean you either work or attend a college. Here in Pittsburgh I noticed around Pitt campus T-Mobile speeds went from 50-60 Mbps to around 10 or so but Still usable. Verizon went from the 160’s down to 70-80 in places (Verizon tends to have a lot of buildings with DAS’s so indoor coverage/speeds isn’t really an issue) AT&T really didn’t change much. They stayed over 100 Mbps but AT&T also just put in a bunch of small cells. A lot of the schools classes are still being done on zoom and such so it’s not a surprise that networks are taking a hit again.
    I work in Dallas ISD. I am a speech therapy assistant and serve 2 campuses. I just use my school's wifi network for any video conferencing. I use my phone for any non-school related Internet usage of course. I had AT&T at these campuses last year and had no problems at all there. Verizon is having trouble at both of these campuses.

T-mobile speeds on average wherever I go seem to be about 10mpbs.

I'll keep testing T-Mo at different places. It's been reliable so far, just not super fast in most places. I just don't know if it's truly indicative of what I'll see when using my 8+. I wonder if I get the ip 12 if it will give better performance than this Franklin hot spot device. Then there's the option of should I switch to AT&T when the ip 12 releases. AT&T has performed the best overall it appears. I just can't stand that they don't have service at my in-laws', and another area we frequent gives slow speeds. I just wanted to explore other carriers to compare. Might be worth it to tell my wife to just keep wifi enabled to help at her parents' house.

thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3