Thread: Data inop Tracfone SIM card new unlocked iphone SE 2nd gen

Feedback Score

Data inop Tracfone SIM card new unlocked iphone SE 2nd gen

Hi. We had a Tracfone branded LG Android smart phone but recently bought a brand new unlocked Apple iphone SE 2020 2nd generation direct from Apple. We put the SIM card from the LG phone into the iphone, no other changes made through Tracfone. The phone and text features are working fine but we are unable to use the data feature on the phone (yes, I have data on my plan). We double checked all the phone settings that I think I should be checking and did the online chat with Tracfone support. Did the text 611611, says phone does not need update. The Tracfone rep threw that out as a possible solution but did not seem to really know. As other posters have indicated, they go through a lenghty series of questions but never seem to get to actual answer.
    Question: Do I need to buy a new "BYOD" SIM card from Tracfone to get the data to work? I am thinking this might be the case since the one we are using came from Tracfone with the LG Android smart phone when we got it.
    Question#2: If answer to question #1 is yes, Tracfone lists 3 different BYOD SIM cards depending on the network. The phone is unlocked GSM/CDMA and should work on any network. Should I just go with the Verizon one since that is a predominant carrier in my major metro area?
    Question #3: Am I barking up the wrong tree and there is something else I should be doing to get the data feature to work on the phone?
    Thanks a gazillion in advance for any help!
    - Steve

Feedback Score
    A new BYOP SIM would be optimal, but I believe the old SIM will work in the meantime for calls and texts. But iPhones can be fussy about the APN. Tracfone can be clueless about this. I would wait for someone here to chime in with recommendations. Or you can do a Google search in the meantime.

What is the carrier for the old SIM? Look at the first six digits of the SIM serial number.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    1. Swapping a SIM from a TF-branded phone into a BYOP phone is not "kosher". That SIM is still paired to the original TF phone. If someone re-activate that phone with a new SIM, TF will deactivate the original SIM and suddenly your service in the BYOP phone is gone. You should buy a BYOP SIM Kit and do a proper transfer.
    2. A typical BYOP SIM Kit has SIMs for all 3 carriers used by TF (AT&T, T-mo, Verizon). Since Verizon is the predominant carrier in your area, use the corrrect-size BYOP TF/Verizon SIM to do the transfer. Use TF Chat and let the rep do the transfer.
    3. Most likely, you'll have to set the correct Access Point Name (APN) info on the iPhone. I'm not an iPhone user. Someone else will come along and help you with that.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you stay with Verizon there are no APN settings to worry about with iPhones (don't know about Androids). I think hpham is correct about a new SIM but you could try resetting the network settings on the iPhone (Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings).
    Roadtrip

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    A new BYOP SIM would be optimal, but I believe the old SIM will work in the meantime for calls and texts. But iPhones can be fussy about the APN. Tracfone can be clueless about this. I would wait for someone here to chime in with recommendations. Or you can do a Google search in the meantime.

What is the carrier for the old SIM? Look at the first six digits of the SIM serial number.
    Thank you for this. I checked the carrier via SIM. It's Verizon. I can order a BYOP SIM for Verizon directly from Tracfone for 99 cents. Will order it up and call the to do the "transfer" to new phone.
    Much appreciated!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
    If you stay with Verizon there are no APN settings to worry about with iPhones (don't know about Androids). I think hpham is correct about a new SIM but you could try resetting the network settings on the iPhone (Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings).
    Thanks, Roadtrip. I'll take a look at that before I order up the new BYOP SIM card.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Install custom APN VZWINTERNET from http://ivzwinternet.tracfone.com. (Click link from the phone itself and it will install it. Domain is tracfone.com so you know it is safe)
    It worked for me on a TW iPhone SE (1st gen) that I would not get data to work activated as a TF device with the original SIM.
    If it does not work, just delete the profile. No harm.