Thread: Helping an old lady again

Feedback Score

Helping an old lady again

Thanks to this forum, years ago, I was able to help an old lady in the country who can just get ATT service at her house.
    We set her up with a TF LG33 Sunset GSM.

She is happy with it and its screen size but its memory is about full. I suspect CoPilot stuck the map into internal memory instead of the SD card. Easy fix if that is true.

I have a new in box TF Sunset I am going to give her. (She also now has hi speed internet..I have to make sure her phones are connected to that)

I think these are her options (I dont know if VoLTE switch will effect this phone)

Ask TF if they have a smartphone on GSM anymore
    Using one of my TF sim kits, take a BYOP unlocked ATT phone and set her up on that.
    She also has a TF Verizon phone.
    Does TF make GSM phones?

Feedback Score
    Tracfone models that end in "DL" are three carrier capable. They ship with Verizon SIMs because they have to ship with something and Verizon is a current favorite. But you can transfer to another SIM once you get going.

The non-DL phones are stuck with Verizon, I believe.

I recommend aiming for Moto.

Only certain phones are welcome on AT&T VoLTE at the present time, and they are the fancier phones. But you can start out on a reasonable phone, and we are hoping that AT&T will eventually welcome any phone that is technically VoLTE capable. AT&T is discriminating for now.

Also, the DL phones are not going to have every single radio band, so if that is important, you will have to check.

Feedback Score
    It's entirely possible the Sunset cannot be activated at the present time, and will become useless around February 2022.
    If that's the case, maybe you can stick her active GSM SIM in the new Sunset and not tell TF about it?

Or get a newer phone with DL suffix and be good for the future after a SIM swap to ATT. I don't know how much arguing it would take to get the ATT SIM from TF. I suppose you could buy a DL phone and buy a ATT BYOP SIM.
    Last I knew you could still get a Moto E5 with a year of service for $50 at TF's eBay store.
    Tracfone rewards referral code LVNO-CB72 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.
    Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    She is happy with it and its screen size but its memory is about full. I suspect CoPilot stuck the map into internal memory instead of the SD card. Easy fix if that is true.

I have a new in box TF Sunset I am going to give her.
    The LG Sunset only has 8 GB internal memory, which does not go very far these days. I used CoPilot on the older phones, but the data was stored on the SD card. Even 16 GB is not enough with a later OS and current apps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    It's entirely possible the Sunset cannot be activated at the present time, and will become useless around February 2022.
    If that's the case, maybe you can stick her active GSM SIM in the new Sunset and not tell TF about it?
    The SIM in the present Sunset is likely tied to the phone's IMEI, so can't be moved to another Tracfone. I have not seen any date where you can no longer activate a non-VoLTE phone on the AT&T network.

Feedback Score
    I tried to reactivate a Big Easy the other day, it didn't say 'let us send you another SIM card', it just gave me an error message.
    I assumed it was not possible to activate it, but I might have assumed wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    I tried to reactivate a Big Easy the other day, it didn't say 'let us send you another SIM card', it just gave me an error message.
    I assumed it was not possible to activate it, but I might have assumed wrong.
    The old feature/basic phones use an ESN number (not MEID/IMEI), which the Tracfone system may not recognize anymore for activation. Not entirely sure if you can use a BYOP SIM in these, but don't think so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Tracfone models that end in "DL" are three carrier capable. They ship with Verizon SIMs because they have to ship with something and Verizon is a current favorite. But you can transfer to another SIM once you get going.

The non-DL phones are stuck with Verizon, I believe.

I recommend aiming for Moto.

Only certain phones are welcome on AT&T VoLTE at the present time, and they are the fancier phones. But you can start out on a reasonable phone, and we are hoping that AT&T will eventually welcome any phone that is technically VoLTE capable. AT&T is discriminating for now.

Also, the DL phones are not going to have every single radio band, so if that is important, you will have to check.
    OK, thanks. I am going to regurgitate what I think you said and you tell me if I am correct.
    I have 2 Moto G7s. One was a net 10 that I booted up with a TF ATT sim kit. One is a TF Verizon. My wife has an e5.
    I have a new TF in the box G7. The installed HSN sim has a year of time on it. But I can put in a TF sim card from a TF Sim card kit and make it a ATT GSM?

Then, there is a way to go back to verizon?
    Back and forth?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The SIM in the present Sunset is likely tied to the phone's IMEI, so can't be moved to another Tracfone. I have not seen any date where you can no longer activate a non-VoLTE phone on the AT&T network.
    OK, thanks. That's important

Feedback Score
    The LG Sunset only has 8 GB internal memory, which does not go very far these days. I used CoPilot on the older phones, but the data was stored on the SD card. Even 16 GB is not enough with a later OS and current apps.

Yeah, I am happy with 32 gig in the internal with my G7s and a 32 gig SD card for Co pilot, photos, etc. It is odd that twice now...once maybe after the upgrade to And. 10, the camera setting has returned to "store photos in the internal memeory" and I have to retell it to put them in the SD card....

Feedback Score
    OK, thanks. I am going to regurgitate what I think you said and you tell me if I am correct.
    I have 2 Moto G7s. One was a net 10 that I booted up with a TF ATT sim kit. One is a TF Verizon. My wife has an e5.
    I have a new TF in the box G7. The installed HSN sim has a year of time on it. But I can put in a TF sim card from a TF Sim card kit and make it a ATT GSM?

Then, there is a way to go back to verizon?
    Back and forth?
    The DL phones will accept any of the three TF SIMs in the kit. Each carrier has embedded customized marching orders in its SIM. The phone will obey those settings until another SIM takes over. There is no permanent change to the phone.

The promo airtime is linked to using the original SIM. If you don't care about the promo, you can use another SIM, I believe. But if the new SIM requires an IMEI number, I don't know what will happen to the promo since it is already using the IMEI.

You have to be careful when separating a phone from its registered Verizon SIM. If someone tries to register another Verizon SIM in that phone, it will wipe out the previous SIM to make way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The DL phones will accept any of the three TF SIMs in the kit. Each carrier has embedded customized marching orders in its SIM. The phone will obey those settings until another SIM takes over. There is no permanent change to the phone.

The promo airtime is linked to using the original SIM. If you don't care about the promo, you can use another SIM, I believe. But if the new SIM requires an IMEI number, I don't know what will happen to the promo since it is already using the IMEI.

You have to be careful when separating a phone from its registered Verizon SIM. If someone tries to register another Verizon SIM in that phone, it will wipe out the previous SIM to make way.
    Whoa....best to take the old phone and hit it with a hammer! OK, thanks. Good to know.

My friend is happy with her TF Verizon Rebel 3 sized phone. She and her husband are very active at 80, traveling around the west like I do and sometimes a Verizon fone works and sometimes an ATT phone works.

If TF doesnt make a ready made smart phone on GSM, it sounds like we get a DL phone and slip in a sim from my stock of TF BYOP sim kits...or buy an unlocked GSM phone and do the same.

Feedback Score
    You can also get an AT&T prepaid model and use that, according to reports. Also some other MVNO phones, not sure which ones.

Feedback Score
    My friend is happy with her TF Verizon Rebel 3 sized phone. She and her husband are very active at 80, traveling around the west like I do and sometimes a Verizon fone works and sometimes an ATT phone works.
    A current DL phone similar in size to the Rebel 3 is the Samsung Galaxy J2 (S260DL). The bundle is only $50 on HSN.

Feedback Score
    A current DL phone similar in size to the Rebel 3 is the Samsung Galaxy J2 (S260DL). The bundle is only $50 on HSN.
    Thanks! I will check it out.