Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest data plan for low-volume/low-spec uses?

Feedback Score

Cheapest data plan for low-volume/low-spec uses?

I have some smoke/PM2.5 sensors I am deploying into the field, and I'm wondering what the cheapest way to get an always-on 32 to 64kbps connection is like, or 1GB or less. Ideally, prepaid or I can buy a preloaded sim like on Amazon. I would have little to no access (they are hanging in trees, pretty much) after installation, so I would prefer unlimited 2G rather than 1GB on LTE in case of accidentally going over.

I have one doing testing with FP already but it disconnects every hour. Would prefer a different MVNO.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Maybe this one.

PrepaidCompare dot net

"T-Mobile Prepaid 2 GB Mobile Internet Plan

Network: T-Mobile
    Base Plan Cost: $10 per 30 days
    Calculated Monthly Cost: $10 + taxes
    Taxes Collected: Point of sale plus telecom taxes and fees (USF, cost recovery fee, etc), averages about 20%.
    Included Minutes: None, Texts: None, Data: 2 GB at high speeds.
    Unlimited Throttled Data? yes at 128 kbps
    MMS supported on iOS? No
    VoLTE? Yes, see Carrier Profile for details.
    WiFi Calling? Yes, see Carrier Profile for details.
    Hotspot: 2 GB at high speeds then unlimited at 128kbps
    Domestic Roaming: none
    PayGo? no
    Has Rollover? no
    Plan Notes: Tablets and data devices only.

For more information about T-Mobile Prepaid please visit our T-Mobile Prepaid OperatorProfile"
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Thanks, will try the 64kbps one! Unfortunately I should not go anywhere near 2GB, and cost is an issue with how many sensors I'm deploying, so <$3 hopefully will work out.

Carrier(s)
    ATT,TMO,VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphinaud View Post
    Thanks, will try the 64kbps one! Unfortunately I should not go anywhere near 2GB, and cost is an issue with how many sensors I'm deploying, so <$3 hopefully will work out.
    How about an IoT service?
    amazon.com IoTDataWorks-Unlimited-12-Month-T-Mobile-Contracts dp B07JCTZ3BF

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CUSR View Post
    Link: https://www.amzn.com/B07JCTZ3BF

Somehow $3.33/mo seems expensive for 64Kbps. But maybe the "unlimited" part makes it more expensive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CUSR View Post
    Yep this is the one I got, but I purchased directly from them instead of through Amazon (Amazon has severe delivery delays here due to wildfires with their own logistics, UPS/USPS/etc is a lot more consistent)

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1
    Somehow $3.33/mo seems expensive for 64Kbps. But maybe the "unlimited" part makes it more expensive.
    Theoretical max of 21GB, will report back with detail when I get it.

Feedback Score
    Did you buy this plan for 1 of your smoke/PM2.5 sensors? Or did you buy each sensor a plan? Idk how these sensors work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Did you buy this plan for 1 of your smoke/PM2.5 sensors? Or did you buy each sensor a plan? Idk how these sensors work.
    They're similar to these, https://learn.adafruit.com/pm25-air-quality-sensor attached to an arduino clone with a SIM slot (gsm/3g only, cheap-ish, from aliexpress). It's 1 SIM per sensor.

If it works out fine I'll probably do a pooled plan and buy x GB across multiple sims. Can't just have one hotspot because 1) the hotspot is not going to survive environmental conditions most likely, 2) sensors are too far from each other for one spot to
    reach

Most "IOT vendors" sell a pool of, say, 1GB across 10 SIMs that you can share. The data that's typically sent is a single line like "tag=pm2.5-5min location=495 value=519\ntag=pm2.5-1min-avg location=495 value=503", so that 1GB will last a long time.

Feedback Score
    So, I promised an update.

It appears it's manually activated by contacting them - there is no actual activation service - you basically leave them an email and then wait a week or more(?). The card is one of those whitelabel generic blank totally-white SIM cards 3-in-1.

It came in a ziplock bag with an oddly cut piece of paper that had instructions to email them printed on it. I mention oddly cut because it's obviously half of a 8.5x11 sheet, but it was cut so badly that some of the text at the bottom cut off and it was more of a curve than a line. Someone doing it by hand w/scissors instead of in bulk?

Amazon reviews are largely BS from uneducated people buying it and thinking it's cheap unlimited data and trying to stream netflix on it and getting upset, and also not understanding the difference between a kilobyte and a kilobit and getting upset.

Will post back when it activates.

I've also ordered a Soracom and Hologram PAYG SIM, neither have arrived yet. I'm unsure how much use I'll get out of them because it's terrifyingly priced - Soracom charges 0.06/device/day + 0.07/MB, so accidentally doing apt-get update on a rpi would be a grave mistake

Feedback Score
    Activated, works as advertised in a Botletics SIM7500 LTE module. Does not work in a phone (tried several phones that definitely support US bands and work on TMO), presumably some form of IMEI blacklist.

Speeds max at ~5.5KB/s as advertised. Latency is about 250-400ms on all requests, all traffic seems to be backhauled to one location in Atlanta (US), which is very far away. I'm disappointed at how almost every MVNO-like service (Visible, Freedompop, this, etc) all route their traffic through a single point probably for limiting and access control purposes (and cheapness); for example Verizon direct is 15ms LTE, Verizon via Visible is 150-200ms. T-Mobile direct is 25ms LTE, T-Mobile via third party IoT data MVNO is hard minimum 250ms.

This is 100% as advertised, great for IoT periodic metrics reporting, absolutely useless for any form of web browsing or streaming or anything else.

Feedback Score
    for example Verizon direct is 15ms LTE, Verizon via Visible is 150-200ms.
    From what I recall, visible had 2 servers for all of the US, I believe one on the east coast and one on the west (they said due to low number of customers). However, and this was before covid-19 happened, they were going to add two more in Q1 of this year, one to the north and one to the south-ish. Not sure if they have by now, or their plans got slightly derailed, like a lot of other things have since. Granted that still wouldn't bring it nearly down to the 15ms, but it should help a bit more

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    From what I recall, visible had 2 servers for all of the US, I believe one on the east coast and one on the west (they said due to low number of customers). However, and this was before covid-19 happened, they were going to add two more in Q1 of this year, one to the north and one to the south-ish. Not sure if they have by now, or their plans got slightly derailed, like a lot of other things have since. Granted that still wouldn't bring it nearly down to the 15ms, but it should help a bit more
    Yeah, I believe this is it. I'm on California and the 200ms roughly means my traffic is going back and forth across the country. On some very lucky days it locks onto the (I thnk Colorado) west backhaul and I get 110ms or so.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I believe this is it. I'm on California and the 200ms roughly means my traffic is going back and forth across the country. On some very lucky days it locks onto the (I thnk Colorado) west backhaul and I get 110ms or so.
    I belive Visible has servers in Boston,Chicago,Kansas City,Denver and Los Angeles. Still not enough as they get more new subscribers every day. Verizon great experiment to see what these Virtual Servers are capable of.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast