Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Buys Tracfone

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Should really have spent more on spectrum. The might just buy US Cellular in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Looks like Tracfone is about 8 "brands", of which I've heard of 7. I wonder whether there will be a consolidation.

Or whether the brands will be segregated by type of plan, or features.
    Verizon is listing 9 brands to be acquired. Strange, as Simple Mobile and Walmart FamilyMobile run on T-Mobile only. Safelink mostly uses T-Mobile.

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/...Fact-Sheet.pdf

What Verizon will do with the brands is a huge question. I have been using Tracfone for 18 years, never had any other service, and DO NOT want any monthly plan!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I chuckled at the above fact sheet where it says “13 million customers are already on the Verizon network” , and the kicker........

“ Soon all Tracfone customers will have access to America’s Most Reliable Network.”. Ha ha. I’ll bet they will.........

It will indeed be very interesting to see how it all plays out the next few years......or sooner !

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Interesting that they will market 5G to Trac customers.

Following the acquisition, Verizon expects to bring its award-winning 4G LTE and 5G networks and other innovative technologies to Tracfone customers, further develop Tracfone’s distribution channels, and expand Tracfone’s market opportunities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    “ Soon all Tracfone customers will have access to America’s Most Reliable Network.”. Ha ha. I’ll bet they will.........
    Many come to Tracfone with BYOD phones because they don't have good Verizon reception...it just takes a TF/BYOP SIM. Activation on AT&T or T-Mobile service does not require the phone's IMEI as Verizon does. Almost all Tracfone branded handsets come set up for Verizon, but many can be used on AT&T or T-Mobile with transfer to a BYOP SIM.

Keep in mind that Tracfone users are a cleaver bunch after years of finding tricks to get around the limitations. Hopefully Verizon will lift the ban on MVNO WiFi Calling and roaming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Interesting that they will market 5G to Trac customers.
    I doubt 5G will impact Tracfone users much, as they seldom buy phones over $200.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Tracfone, and its parts like Page Plus, are already "kind of" VZW customers. Just indirect thru those MVNO's.

Is VZW trying to kill the USA MVNO market?
    tracphone owns most of the MVNOs anyway. So you already have ONE company owning most of the MNVO market. Also you have Xfinity Mobile and Spectrum Mobile as MVNOs that would be considered competition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I doubt 5G will impact Tracfone users much, as they seldom buy phones over $200.
    You can BYOD. and eventually 5G will be in ALL phones

Feedback Score
    Verizon is listing 9 brands to be acquired. Strange, as Simple Mobile and Walmart FamilyMobile run on T-Mobile only. Safelink mostly uses T-Mobile.

What Verizon will do with the brands is a huge question. I have been using Tracfone for 18 years, never had any other service, and DO NOT want any monthly plan!
    You do realize these will still be prepaid services. it's possible to get approval Verizon could offload Simple, Wal-Mart and Safelink to Dish sine Dish's Boost Mobile uses T-Mobile's network for now

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Should really have spent more on spectrum. The might just buy US Cellular in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app
    They could have doe that with the $7 billion they are spending on this. Unless they are only going to buy C-band in the top 50 markets like the BS they pulled in the CBRS auction then nationwide 100 MHz C-Band is likely to cost $15-$20 billion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You do realize these will still be prepaid services. it's possible to get approval Verizon could offload Simple, Wal-Mart and Safelink to Dish sine Dish's Boost Mobile uses T-Mobile's network for now
    The possibility of not acquiring the non-Verizon based TF companies is mentioned in this article.

https://bestmvno.com/verizon-wireles...reless-market/

This may come out in the hearings with the Federal regulators. I have seen no data on what is being used on the TF companies that offer multiple carriers. All we know is that Tracfone itself has offered only Verizon service for a number of years. Strange thing is that all recent Tracfone "DL" models are 3 carrier capable with the right SIM. There used to be "VL" models that were only Verizon capable.

Feedback Score
    Verizon is listing 9 brands to be acquired. Strange, as Simple Mobile and Walmart FamilyMobile run on T-Mobile only. Safelink mostly uses T-Mobile. https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/...Fact-Sheet.pdf What Verizon will do with the brands is a huge question. I have been using Tracfone for 18 years, never had any other service, and DO NOT want any monthly plan!
    according to this - https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/2...-phones-budget it will continue to offer tracfones lifeline service & straight talk

Feedback Score
    this here states that "all TracFone customers will have access" to the Verizon network - https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...paid-industry/i and might also read this on how your tracfone service will change - https://www.androidcentral.com/veriz...fect-customers

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score

I checked my crystal balls, and VZW will move all 9 brands over to their network, and then move all 9 brands over to pre-paid Verizon accounts.

In the end, they will all be paying pre-paid Verizon rates. That sounds good for VZW.

Though, I am sure, there will be some new up-start MVNO will become available on AT&T or T-Mobile's network. Though, I am sure that VZW is expecting most people are too lazy to switch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    according to this - https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/2...-phones-budget it will continue to offer tracfones lifeline service & straight talk
    that sounds like it's shuttering the other brands

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast